Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best low end torque cam for LS1..

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The thing about the real world that's mostly ignored is that we don't drive around at full throttle all the time. People who are interested in low end are often talking about the responsiveness of the powertrain in part-throttle situations ... stuff we deal with every day driving. This is the kind of thing that will never show up on a dyno or at the track. But it is a huge part of having a satisfying DD. Experience with traditional Pontiacs tells me that there are cams that will give increases across the board ... the same has to be true for LS1's. I think that's what SS Coulter is looking for ... if I may be so bold to say.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The thing about the real world that's mostly ignored is that we don't drive around at full throttle all the time. People who are interested in low end are often talking about the responsiveness of the powertrain in part-throttle situations ... stuff we deal with every day driving. This is the kind of thing that will never show up on a dyno or at the track. But it is a huge part of having a satisfying DD. Experience with traditional Pontiacs tells me that there are cams that will give increases across the board ... the same has to be true for LS1's. I think that's what SS Coulter is looking for ... if I may be so bold to say.
That is exactly right. I stated earlier I have Cummins in my 3/4 Dodge with over 600ft pounds of torque. Now you talk about fun to drive! That thing is drunk with torque! I can't wipe the silly smile off of my face each and every time I drive that beast, that's what I want for the SS. I love driving her don't get me wrong, I just want more power where I use it the most. I wonder how much torque the LS1 could make if that were the focus of a build-up instead of ET and trap speed? Just a thought.

Originally Posted by Patrick G
You may want to look at a cam like the Ausies's run: Keep the intake duration on the shorter side and run a much narrower LSA. Maybe something like 216/220 108LSA (+0). This would make OMG cylinder pressure and big block torque down low and pull nicely to 6000 rpm. The Ausie's are much further along with low-end torque cam development IMO.
Anybody have any idea where I can look for this cam? Will I have to get a custom grind?

Last edited by SSCoulter; 05-30-2005 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:09 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess all I have to say then is drive a big cam car and then you're opinion will change I really think people are putting TOO much emphasis on the peak number so people are worried about the low end. The low end is there on the street. Perfectly drivable, and when you go WOT, it will scream. I won't ever forget the first time I took a G5X3 car out
Old 05-30-2005, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
I guess all I have to say then is drive a big cam car and then you're opinion will change I really think people are putting TOO much emphasis on the peak number so people are worried about the low end. The low end is there on the street. Perfectly drivable, and when you go WOT, it will scream. I won't ever forget the first time I took a G5X3 car out
Old 05-30-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt

I think you guys are missing the whole point here.we are here to help out ALL that ask ???'s.and this guy wants to know of a cam that makes AWESOME TQ not "a little more than stock", and not "the low end is STILL there"...............he wants to make almost ALL of his power in torque, or in the low-mid range area.i think your original TR224 would be good cam;BUT i also agree w/ the guy who made the statement earlier about a 208/216 on a 108(something like that.thats sounds VERY similar to the cam i put in my 385 SBC.and it made phenominal low end power)i LOVE that kind of power also, just stab the pedal and INSTANT power! not waiting to rev it up and popppin it,or waiting for the powerband, just stab and go.i do a lot of the same driving you do....ive been looking at the G2 and the G5 from LG's site.they look VERY promising,lg's cams make very good power across the board,just look at a little bit smaller one..also like these guys say the futral cams make a LOT of TQ, without sacrificing a lil top end fun call Alan at futral and tell him your situation and also call Lou at LG motorsports.both sponsors, very nice guys and more than willing to help you out on your road to victory and daily driving bliss.good luck and stay away from those cops.lol.

Last edited by '02SS; 05-30-2005 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by '02SS
I think you guys are missing the whole point here.we are here to help out ALL that ask ???'s.and this guy wants to know of a cam that makes AWESOME TQ not "a little more than stock", and not "the low end is STILL there"...............he wants to make almost ALL of his power in torque, or in the low-mid range area.i think your original TR224 would be aggod cam;BUT i also agree w/ the guy who made the statement earlier about a 208/216 on a 108(something like that.thats sounds VERY similar to the cam i put in my 385 SBC.and it made phenominal low end power.i LOVE that kind of power also, just stab the pedal and INSTANT power! not waiting to rev it up and popppin it,or waiting for the powerband, just stab and go.i do a lot of the same driving you do....ive been looking at the g5, and g5x2 from g2's site.they look VERY promising,lg's cams make very good power across the board,just look at a little bit smaller one..also like these guys say the futral cams make a LOT of TQ, without sacrificing a lil top end fun call Alan at futral and tell him your situation and also call Lou at LG motorsports.both sponsors, very nice guys and more than willing to help you out on your road to victory and daily driving bliss.good luck and stay away from those cops.lol.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my thread. I have emailed Alan at Futral and told him what I am looking for and I can't wait to hear back from him. I am sure he can fix me up with a cam that will do the job. I wish I could drive some different cars with big cams in them to get an idea of what it's like but there aren't to many running around here. And I doubt the owner's of those cars would just hand me the keys lol. I am happy that this thread as recieved this much attention as I think I am not the only guy looking for this kind of performance. Thanks again for everyone's help. I will post the cam specs that Alan recomends.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Funny how so many guys on this site can't help but recommend "big" and can't stay away from talking peak hp. I'm interested in the same thing as you are. Besides the Vinci cams which have been mentioned, I would look at the TR "old Man" cam, their new CheaTR cam (especially with stock manifolds) and the Comp 216/200.
its funny when guys with so called mild cams beat up on guys with big cams at the track.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

theres also a comp cam on thunder's site that might fit your needs.its a 216/230 on a 112.check it out.

thunder racing
Old 05-30-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 4mula
its funny when guys with so called mild cams beat up on guys with big cams at the track.
I know what you mean. 224/220, .581/.581 116+0 mid 11's cam only.
10.87 on a 150 shot dry (can do better with more suspension mod). can't wait till I get heads and lighten some weight.
Old 05-30-2005, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

There is a LOT more to a proper setup than just the cam size. I think it's funny when people with smaller cams have more extensive mods besides the cam and think it's a big deal when they beat someone with a larger cam, as if the larger cam is supposed beat the smaller one 100% of the time.

Now, if their setups are basically teh same otherwise and the larger cam guy doesn't know that he is supposed to build a COMBO with his parts and loses, it might be funny.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now, if their setups are basically teh same otherwise and the larger cam guy doesn't know that he is supposed to build a COMBO with his parts and loses, it might be funny.
thats what im talking about.
ive seen guys get big cams then not wanna put on 4.11s or high stalls.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:57 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

ive seen guys get big cams then not wanna put on 4.11s or high stalls.
Seen it too. Those guys are just looking for a number on a paper to go brag about. for them
Old 05-30-2005, 11:59 PM
11 Second Club

I'm running the MS3 with 3.23's.

Of course, I am having my converter restalled to 4,000 as we speak. Gears aren't as important in A4's as they are in the M6's.

People don't always understand they need to support the big cams. Example: When I first put my MS3 in I was still running an LS1 intake manifold, 3.23's and a 3500 stall converter. Tranny wasn't in good shape and it ran 12.2. Now that I'm getting LS6 intake and 4k stall (plus fixed tranny and UD pulley) it should be down in the 11's where it belongs.

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 05-31-2005 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:54 PM
Teching In

I have also been studying and looking for the best “street set up” with lots of low end torque. It seems to me Vinci has put a lot of R&D in this area.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

If I was going to buy something for partial throttle torque on the street with an M6 I'd get a Futral cam.

But that's just me.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I was going to buy something for partial throttle torque on the street with an M6 I'd get a Futral cam.

But that's just me.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:28 PM
Launching!

I'm waiting on Alan to email me back. I am sure he can fix me up.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

I have to agree with the BIG Cam guys. I have a DD with a T-Rex and stock 3.42 gears (saving money for 12-bolt). My car is great around town, it has plenty of torque all the way up the rpms. The only reason I have bigger HP numbers is because my big cam can hold the tq higher into the rpms (hp=(tq x rpm)/5252). You keep saying you want driveable tq, but with 4.10's you will have great tq and all the power you want when you want it. Like previously qouted, go drive a BIG Cam car before you discount its daily driveability and response. Besides that, about any cam is better than stock!!!! So you have nothing to lose.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by never2fast
I have to agree with the BIG Cam guys. I have a DD with a T-Rex and stock 3.42 gears (saving money for 12-bolt). My car is great around town, it has plenty of torque all the way up the rpms. The only reason I have bigger HP numbers is because my big cam can hold the tq higher into the rpms (hp=(tq x rpm)/5252). You keep saying you want driveable tq, but with 4.10's you will have great tq and all the power you want when you want it. Like previously qouted, go drive a BIG Cam car before you discount its daily driveability and response. Besides that, about any cam is better than stock!!!! So you have nothing to lose.
All good points you make, and maybe the big cam is the way to go. But I wanted to take a different approach to making power with the LS1 and I wanted to know if any of you knew the answer to my question, which is what's the best cam for low-end torque? As for driving a big cam car I have already stated that I don't know anyone who owns one of these cars and that is why I posted this thread in the hopes that someone else could point me in the right direction and to just have a good discussion with a little different point of view.

The vast majority of the threads I read are all about pushing the upper limits of performance with bigger and bigger cams and you have to admit most big cams are designed to make power farther up the rpm range right? There is always a trade off as I have looked at so many dyno sheets that prove it. I'm not looking for "plenty" of torque, I want the most torque I can get down low where I use it most. Why would I pick a cam that trades low end for high end power when 99% of the time I will not be turning my motor to 7,000rpm's? If two cams cost the same and one makes more power down low wouldn't that be the cam for me? Most people measure performance at the track or by dyno numbers. All well a good for those folks, I want to measure performance by how big a smile it puts on my face when I mash the gas. If that comes in the form of a 242/248 615/615 lift bigazz cam then so be it. But my question still stands, what cam makes the most torque on the low to mid-range? I still don't have a complete answer to this question.

I will be using my stock heads and will be adding Mac's and a LS6 intake when I do the cam swap.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:32 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

So why don't you just buy a big block then.

Quick Reply: Best low end torque cam for LS1..