Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woooooooot, cam is in!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

manny, you dont need to cycle the springs. that was the case even 10 years ago, but its not anymore.
also thump it to 6300 RPMs, see what you think
Old 07-24-2005, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

You know me...always careful, always extra gentle.

I did go past 4k today...at half throttle in second with slightly damp roads, it just sorta broke loose! LOL

I just have to get used to that valvetrain ticking....that started when I put the headers on, and now the cam just made it a bit louder. You really can't hear it under the hood, but mostly under the car.

You have that too?
Old 07-24-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MannyZ28
You know me...always careful, always extra gentle.

I did go past 4k today...at half throttle in second with slightly damp roads, it just sorta broke loose! LOL

I just have to get used to that valvetrain ticking....that started when I put the headers on, and now the cam just made it a bit louder. You really can't hear it under the hood, but mostly under the car.

You have that too?
my motor doesnt sound like a sewing machine.
yes it makes noise than stock.
i kept the stock chain and thats one of the reasons why its not all to loud.
my buddy has the same exact set up as me with the only difference being me having double springs and a stock timing chain and his is a double chain with 918 springs.
his motor makes way more noise.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

My motor is actually pretty quiet...the ticking comes through the exhaust, like I said that started with the headers...but yet, if I look underneath, there is no black marks from leaks or anything. Once you get on it though, you can't hear it anymore...car is just too loud
Old 07-24-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

My motor is actually pretty quiet...the ticking comes through the exhaust, like I said that started with the headers...but yet, if I look underneath, there is no black marks from leaks or anything. Once you get on it though, you can't hear it anymore...car is just too loud
**** my car is loud, lol.
between the headers, orp and the stall, you can hear me comming a block away
Old 07-24-2005, 09:20 PM
Launching!

my motor is ticking now too after my cam swap.It kind of stresses me out but I've read that it's common.I also noticed my exhaust makes a slight whistling sound now.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Teching In

ticking noise comes from the 918 springs
Old 07-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Teching In

zo6 springs wont make nosie like 918s will, what do you shift out at
Old 07-25-2005, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Shift?

You mean at what rpm? Uhm....so far, I think the highest I have gone was like 4500! I am usually pretty easy on my car. I got the cam mostly for the sound believe it or not.

I got in a bit more just now on my way back from the movies.....holy crap....what a difference......

4mula....I can no safely say that I chose.....wisely

Manny
Old 07-25-2005, 12:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

First Manny, congrats on getting the cam installed. I remeber you asking Q's on my LS1.com writeup, as I installed the same deal a month ago. I have the exact same freakin tick too...driving me nuts. (BTW, it's not exhaust.) Also, that cam did a hell of a job on the exhaust note....my car is thumping out some evil exhaust tunes now too. It's nice

I'd guess you're putting out 375-380RWHP. I'm actually getting mine dynoed on Aug 13th and can give the cold hard SAE numbers after. I DID pick up 5mph and .3 sec in the 1/4 though

You should be good getting on it after three heat cycles. I changed my oil after 100 miles too for a preventative measure.

BTW, I had SES codes before tuning. It was a random misfire and a gen low freq code. This is because not enough air at idle and too much at WOT. The tune will fix that

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6
Old 07-25-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schantin
First Manny, congrats on getting the cam installed. I remeber you asking Q's on my LS1.com writeup, as I installed the same deal a month ago. I have the exact same freakin tick too...driving me nuts. (BTW, it's not exhaust.) Also, that cam did a hell of a job on the exhaust note....my car is thumping out some evil exhaust tunes now too. It's nice

I'd guess you're putting out 375-380RWHP. I'm actually getting mine dynoed on Aug 13th and can give the cold hard SAE numbers after. I DID pick up 5mph and .3 sec in the 1/4 though

You should be good getting on it after three heat cycles. I changed my oil after 100 miles too for a preventative measure.

BTW, I had SES codes before tuning. It was a random misfire and a gen low freq code. This is because not enough air at idle and too much at WOT. The tune will fix that

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6

I'll have mine dynoed before you...so I am sure we'll make somewhat similar numbers.

Are you sure about the ticking though? If it is the motor doing it directly, how come you can only hear it in the headers? Either way, I really don't care if it ticks or not as long as the engine is fine and happy. And yes, it does sound awesome.

Did that kick *** idle get a bit diminished by the tuning?? If it does, maybe I can make them set the idle speed a bit lower...like 850, to make up for it?

One more thing about the ticking...what do you think it is?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

idle wont really be affected by a tune. depending on how it is now, they may smooth it out.
at 850-900 rpm you will cackle.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's pretty smooth right now as it is.....you DEFINITELY know there is a cam there whether you are in the car or outside the car

I'm just gonna have to wait and see how it turns out.

Besides changing the oil, is there anything else that should be checked after a certain amount of time after the install?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Besides changing the oil, is there anything else that should be checked after a certain amount of time after the install?

youre good.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I heat cycled mine for like 5 times now, gonna take it for a ride later today and put some miles on it. Oh the joys of having a mean souding car!

Manny

What are you waiting for??..kick that mule man..this multiple heat cyle stuff is BS..one heat cycle is enough..then its time to rock and roll dude..
Old 07-25-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pretty smooth right now as it is.....you DEFINITELY know there is a cam there whether you are in the car or outside the car

I'm just gonna have to wait and see how it turns out.

You'll need to check/replace the springs after awhile, but since your cam is so small you should be able to go quite a long time before changing.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Congrats on the install Manny...SES light coming on is normal..it may go off and then come on again that is normal too..it will go away after your tune..the valve train noise is from the more agressive cam profile...no way to make it go away unless you go to a milder cam...like stock.. ..I like the way it sounds.. ..you should hear one with a solid roller in it if you think yours makes noise.. ..anyway it is time to kick it in the *** and see what it will do man.. ..you are not gonna hurt it...they are going to bounce it off the rev limiter when they tune it anyway....mine sees the red line everyday and it loves it...
Old 07-25-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
3 heat cycles and your good to go
Will that apply when I put in my used cam?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 55chevy
Will that apply when I put in my used cam?

The heat cycle is for the springs not the cam..if you use new springs a heat cycle is needed but this 3 or 4 heat cycles before you get on it is BS..
Old 07-25-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awww man...you guys make me feel all warm and fuzzy....I finally feel home again!

Manny