Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longer Crank Bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this one from a hardware store, 130MM in length. Used a washer and a nut for a spacer, no heating the pulley or anything. Worked great!
Philip S.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are these bolt and washer #'s for the LT1 or LS1? Thanks.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to jack the thread but I have to chime in.

I didnt have the longer bolt a couple of days ago when I did my cam swap and I was NOT gonna let it get the better of me.

Soooooo. I picked up a ring gear I had lying on the shelf next to me and held it up to the pulley and what d' ya know? It was almost the same dimension. So I put a leather work glove on and held the pulley on the crank snout square and while palming the ring gear I used it as a battering ram ans started the pulley far enough for my stock bolt to take over.

Call me a redneck, lol.

Oh yeah, I made the spring compressor too out of 1/4" thick flatbar. Oh my gosh was this easy to use. I am not kiding when I say I can have my old spring off and a new one on in 2 minutes. Its that easy.

Once again, sorry to jack but I like passing info that may help people.

Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Longer Crank Bolt?-dsc01485.jpg  
Old 08-08-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know you ment well by you post but that is the worst way you could ever do it. NEVER HAMMER ON A CRANK!!! Its pretty easy to damage the trust surface of the main bearings. Hopefully yours will be OK but the last thing you want is to be building a motor because you didn't want to find a $3.00 bolt.

Originally Posted by Full-Force
Sorry to jack the thread but I have to chime in.

I didnt have the longer bolt a couple of days ago when I did my cam swap and I was NOT gonna let it get the better of me.

Soooooo. I picked up a ring gear I had lying on the shelf next to me and held it up to the pulley and what d' ya know? It was almost the same dimension. So I put a leather work glove on and held the pulley on the crank snout square and while palming the ring gear I used it as a battering ram ans started the pulley far enough for my stock bolt to take over.

Call me a redneck, lol.

Oh yeah, I made the spring compressor too out of 1/4" thick flatbar. Oh my gosh was this easy to use. I am not kiding when I say I can have my old spring off and a new one on in 2 minutes. Its that easy.

Once again, sorry to jack but I like passing info that may help people.

Here is a pic.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was not implying to use this method. I was in a rut and did it. And not to be smart but I doubt there is much you can tell me about an engine I dont already know. I didnt have to swing hard on the ring gear. I used its mass to do the work because there was no room to take a swig at it. Just deliberate short strokes.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not a big fan of banging on the crank for the reasons stated above..it is way too EZ to do it without banging on it...you can cause some problems...good luck to you...
Old 08-08-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I was not implying to use this method. I was in a rut and did it. And not to be smart but I doubt there is much you can tell me about an engine I dont already know. I didnt have to swing hard on the ring gear. I used its mass to do the work because there was no room to take a swig at it. Just deliberate short strokes.
I understand where you are comming from but you have to remember some people reading it may not have your experience. They could take it as its OK to beat it on with whatever is laying around. I am the king of improvising with anything around the shop to make something work. Hell I have a drawer in the toolbox dedicated to just home made and modified tools but I won't beat on a crank thats in a assembled motor.

Last edited by gearheads78; 08-08-2005 at 12:23 PM.