Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Engine Pinging @ 4K!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Engine Pinging @ 4K!!!

WTF? I dyno'd my car today (did 2 pulls cause the knock got kinda bad). Had to stop both times short of 6K. Highest I got to was 4,883 RPMs which made 302/325. I've got mods in sig. Temp was right about 90* and humidity was about 29% - middle of the day at around 2,700ft. above sea level (Las Vegas). Is this Hypertech's fault or just an engine in dire need of a tune? I was gonna run it at the track tomorrow but I guess it's not worth putting that much strain on the engine. I know some higher octaine would help but I'm pretty sure that's only a small portion of my problem. Could a bent pushrod have to do with this? I overreved it (but only by about 300 RPMs) about 3 weeks ago but it's been running fine since (daily driving) or maby something else is wrong?... I'm afraid to get on it now past 3.4k RPMs cause I know that it'll knock sooner when the engine's under full load... any ideas? I just might dish out the $150 to have one of the tuners in the LV F-bod association do a HP Tune on it.... not dyno - just a drive around tune. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I fought a pinging problem when I first bought mine, but it didn't start until around 5500 rpm and continued to redline. I live in AZ and I did the following to remove the ping:

1) Oil Catch Can (AMW): oil in the inlet can cause pinging, but it didn't really help mine
2) 160F Thermostat and reset the fans down to 180/190: This fixed my problem, the pinging went away, even when doing dyno pulls
3) SLP Heavy Duty Radiator: probably not necessary, but it made me feel good in Phoenix at 115F

I really doubt that 300 rpm over the redline will bend a pushrod and I doubt even if it were bent it would cause pinging. I've also been worried lately that some stations are selling regular at premium prices because of the shortages. Make sure you get your gas from a reputable dealer.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:24 AM
12 Second Club

Have you tried the GM top engine cleaner? I had a pinging problem and it cured it.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:26 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The Hypertech tune is notorious for causing pinging in that it does little else than advance timing.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rotwiler
Have you tried the GM top engine cleaner? I had a pinging problem and it cured it.
No, I haven't. Where can I find this at? (link please )

Thanks for the responces. I guess my pinging is 99% heat related... I've heard that a 160* Thermo can be bad for a stock engine (don't know why...) but I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks a lot for the input. As for the catch can, I just can't afford to put that much money into such a small upgrade - if it were a new engine, it would probably be 1st thing but I use synthetic oil (Mobile 1) and the engine doesn't eat a drop of oil so I can't justify the $$$ for it. Thanks, guys! .. More input is more than welcome!

-- oh yah... I'm taking that crap Hypertech tune out the second I get home! Gonna unplug the battery and romp on it a lil... show the ECU I'm not fvckin around anymore - oh yah - after I get either an HP or Dyno tune that is... don't want it to say fvuk you back
Old 09-04-2005, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

You can't really get GM Top End Cleaner in Cali. Maybe in the tiny spray bottles, but not in any useful size. Thank the smog ****'s by helping our environment by making it difficult for our engines to run properly! Anyway, go get some Sea Foam from Napa as a substitute.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

I'm PISSED! I decided to pull some timing (pulled it down to 29-27 above 4k) and dropped $20 for about 4 gallons of 100 Octane... track runs (i was told) cost $20.... turns out it's $40 + $20 for the LVFA... thanks a lot, Sam! Needless to say, I didn't get to run. The engine's running great with the pulled timing and 100 octane... but I suppose some Sea Foam may be in order when I get home. Sorry for the rant. More thoughts are very welcome. Thanks again for the input!
Old 09-04-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A little off topic, where are you running near Anaheim? Is it that parking lot at Fontana Speedway?
Old 09-05-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by glennhl
A little off topic, where are you running near Anaheim? Is it that parking lot at Fontana Speedway?
I was in Vegas for Vegas Invasion with the Las Vegas F-Body Association. I was gonna run at LVMS's strip but the price was much higher than the Association's manager stated.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to find a seal level track. I guess it comes down to Fontana or Carlsbad. And I hear neither are very well kept. I go to all the Indycar races in Fontana and the first time I saw the Christmas Tree in the parking lot I started laughing.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by glennhl
I want to find a seal level track. I guess it comes down to Fontana or Carlsbad. And I hear neither are very well kept. I go to all the Indycar races in Fontana and the first time I saw the Christmas Tree in the parking lot I started laughing.
Well from what I hear, if you wanna run at Fontana, you gotta wait like 8 hours to run and get there EARLY. This last time at LVMS, people were complaining that the track was TOO well preped. Some were bogging HARD off the line and I dind't see much if any wheelspin off the line all night. The reason it was so well kept was because there were like 12 classes running - anywhere from 16 second cars to the 5.71 @ about 212 Top Fuel car I saw run.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GTObsessor
Well from what I hear, if you wanna run at Fontana, you gotta wait like 8 hours to run and get there EARLY.
Thats not true... me and some friends showed up after 5:00pm and ran by 6:00 the last time we went. You shouldnt have any problems, just bring a helmet (or tell 'em your car runs 14s, lol) My only complaint was the waterbox that you couldn't avoid... We couldve gotten four runs in after missing the first run, but we skipped out on the last one.

Sorry to hear 'bout your problems.