Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam it or Spray it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I'd do a cam before nitrous and if you could afford to do heads and cam at the same time I'd go that route. I picked up 100rwhp with Livernois ported stock LS1 heads, a 224/228 114 cam, headers, x-pipe, and tune. I have several friends that have nitrous and they definitely make good power and a lot of torque, but you start to use it more and more and at approximately $40 to fill a bottle a few times a week it gets expensive fast. I'm actually thinking about swapping out my cam for something larger right now. I've ran the current setup for about a year now and want to try something else.

-Rick
Old 09-06-2005, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by EviLS1
You're driving down an empty highway with your woman in the car. An 03 cobra pulls up. You can either:
A: Downshift and be gone
B: Tell him to hold on while you get your bottle set up, then be gone.
lol you wont "be gone"ing any 03 cobras on the highway with bolt ons and a cam...the cobra will eat you alive.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Superman09
yea i guess so. It is going to cost me 400 for my first tune with the stall/headers, than all other tunes after that will be 200! Ill ask him what kind of tuner and get back to ya. What type of Heads/Cam set up did u get? I will prolly end up getting the MS3 than adding some AFR 205's later
$200 for every tune after that??? seems kinda steep. MTI is one of the high-end/priced shops and they tune for $75 after the initial $500 tune. 200 sounds a bit high.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Yea, well i am not so sure i can afford a cam and heads at this point. Well all the cam stuff will cost me $1000. The AFR 205s are what, $2200? Is there any other set of heads i could get with this cam that are still quality and give big numbers but not as high of a price as the AFRs? If i can get the heads/cam installed and tuned for under $3k i could swing that, is this possible?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 09-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Superman09
Yea, well i am not so sure i can afford a cam and heads at this point. Well all the cam stuff will cost me $1000. The AFR 205s are what, $2200? Is there any other set of heads i could get with this cam that are still quality and give big numbers but not as high of a price as the AFRs? If i can get the heads/cam installed and tuned for under $3k i could swing that, is this possible?
TEA stage 1.5 5.3heads, very good heads...like $1500 i think assembled.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z28SPD
lol you wont "be gone"ing any 03 cobras on the highway with bolt ons and a cam...the cobra will eat you alive.
Depends on what's done to the Cobra... They are heavy and I'm not bashing them by any means, but it seems like they make a ton of power and don't get it to the ground at the track or on the street..

I've raced a few pretty heavily mooded ones and won. it was no slaughter by any means but I wasn't expecting it at all.

I also drove an '03 KB Cobra that make 660rwhp and it was very fast but got slower and slower as the blower heat soaked.

-Rick
Old 09-06-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

TEA stage 1.5 5.3heads, very good heads...like $1500 i think assembled.

AFR has a new economy head for around $900 that is just hitting the market
Old 09-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SilverC5Vert
Depends on what's done to the Cobra... They are heavy and I'm not bashing them by any means, but it seems like they make a ton of power and don't get it to the ground at the track or on the street..

I've raced a few pretty heavily mooded ones and won. it was no slaughter by any means but I wasn't expecting it at all.

I also drove an '03 KB Cobra that make 660rwhp and it was very fast but got slower and slower as the blower heat soaked.

-Rick
the blower on the highway will rip you apart at a 60+ roll, thats where they shine
Old 09-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Launching!

the blower on the highway will rip you apart at a 60+ roll, thats where they shine
Unit213 raced the Livernois Motorsports Head/Cam C6 with his KB Cobra from a roll on the e-way, maybe he will chime in here. I'm not in any way saying the Cobras are slow, I raced a GSXR750 from a roll on the eway with the Cobra I referred to in my previous post and was door to door when I let off. neither of us pulled, but I don't know how great of a driver he was and I'm not saying I'm a great driver either.

-Rick
Old 09-06-2005, 05:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

oh man, info on these new economy heads! I could swing the $900 now! YAY! Keep me posted. As of now, which set of heads do you think i should go with to help my ms3? Also should i jsut go to speed inc for the stall or is livernois like the same as speed inc? They do good install and tune? What im asking is it worth the 5 hour drive to speed inc for the install and tune? Also...heads?

Old 09-06-2005, 07:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Budget heads to go with the MS3? Which ones, info of AFRs new budget heads? Which headssssss?

Old 09-06-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a cam...youll spend more by filling the bottle over can over again. besides, if you win a race, its the bottle that won not your motor!
Old 09-06-2005, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by eamador11
get a cam...youll spend more by filling the bottle over can over again. besides, if you win a race, its the bottle that won not your motor!

does it matter how you won? 450 on motor or 450 on bottle. same thing. i've seen bottles lose also. what's nice about the bottle is you get to keep the stock idle/sound for the stealth mode. they think nothing of it. reel 'em in at that point. a cam makes them go hmmmm...... maybe, maybe not.

either way, it's you and your car that won.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Agreed, i jsut am leaning that the cam is the best route for me at the moment. Best place to buy heads, which type of heads should i look into for me on a budget?

Old 09-06-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Patriot just recently lowered the prices on their heads, some people love 'em others hate 'em. A friend of mine just picked up a set for his 408 and the work looks really nice IMO.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Another thing you need to learn when modding. Do it right, don't compromise. Just coz there are some budget heads out doesn't mean you should go for them just coz you can swing them RIGHT NOW! Good things come to those that wait. Do it right, get the better parts, take your time, I have learned it the hard way, trust me! There is nothing worse than rushing things and then having to do it twice. If you do get the budget heads right now with the cam, you will be happy for a bit...till the novelty wears off and you see what other guys with a setup similar to yours, but with better heads managed to do.

I went to a tuner who was fairly close to me...30 mins away. I regret it now! First off, my dyno numbers suck, no ifs or butts about it. Driveability when cold is abyssmal! When fully warmed up, the car is close to bucking when going 30 or 35 mph in 4th gear, which is rediculous for a cam my size! Not only that, I went there on my first appointment after calling the day before just to confirm. Got there with two of my buddies who like me took the day off and arrived there with the doors closed! Something about an emergency. Yeah...they invented the phone! I rescheduled, but had to cancel that appointement and rescheduled again. This time around I called the day of the appointement in the morning...sure enough, they had computer issues and wanted me to reschedule again. I just said "hell no" and brought my own computer and hooked it up to their dyno. They still had the nerve to charge me the re-tuning fee of $150.00 x 1.5 !!!! They didn't even do much tuning! And the result were low dyno numbers (probably also due to the heat, not their fault obviously), and crappy driveability. I asked for them to send me my old dyno file from the original tune with just headers and LS6 intake, but they never even bothered. Shitty customer service, outrageous price...I wasted 1200 dollars there! All because I didn't do my research first and just went for the one closest to me. Once it gets colder, I'll take the car to RevXtreme. Yeah, it will cost me another $500.00, but I think it will be worth it.

Take your time...save your money, do it right. Do the cam now to satisfy the mod bug.....then wait till you can afford the heads you really want.

Manny

Last edited by MannyZ28; 09-07-2005 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yea good advice. I can totally understand now. Well Speed Inc. Ill be coming soon!

Old 09-07-2005, 07:25 AM
10 Second Club

There is not a stock Cobra ever produced that will run with a bolt-on/cam LS1, from a roll, dig, or otherwise.

Pullied Terminators are a different bird, trust me...
Old 09-07-2005, 07:34 AM
Banned

Go with the bottle!

You will run great times and if its installed right you should be fine!

I have been running a TNT 100 shot for over a year and been happy with mid 11's and a stock idle.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

put a cam in. Nothing like real N/A power. Also nitrous gets very little respect on the streets if you are into street racing.