Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Talked To Dart.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would think TEA would be working with TFS on their heads.... anyone ever look at their new address, TFS's and Summits?

Bret
Old 09-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like we all want the same basic things. Killer flow at reasonable lifts, killer velocity with the small ports, killer price! Kinda like AFR 205s without the price tag. LOL
Old 09-15-2005, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

Hey, well I just ordered a pair of the 225's. Should be here, they said in October.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
You would think TEA would be working with TFS on their heads.... anyone ever look at their new address, TFS's and Summits?

Bret
I heard TFS bought them out not to long ago... or at least something along those line which bonded a very strong relationship. I believe TEA has been doing the TFS porting for a while now. I don't know about Summit.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man that is a good price. Im gonna look into getting some since the old heads are off the car right now. But that just depends on what the shop tells me whats else is wrong with my car. (Replacing lifters)
Old 09-16-2005, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Default Dart LS1 info...firsthand!

Hi everyone, I'm Greg. Since there are lots of rumors and questions, and our email box is getting hammered , I thought I should register and try to answer a few questions. I'm the outside sales & marketing guy over at Dart. I'll try to answer questions here when I can, or feel free to email us at darttech@dartheads.com.

For starters, you can go to www.dartheads.com, look in the New Products section, and check our our LS1 flyer in .pdf format. That at least lets you look at pictures and read a few basic specs.

Flow numbers from the prototype are graphed on the flyer. We'll flow one of the first production pieces when machining is finished. They should be close to the prototype numbers.

Suggested retail price is $465.63/each for bare heads. These are PRO1 cast aluminum heads, not CNC ported. They do have valve jobs done. We may do a CNC version in a year or so. In the meantime, if you are looking to have a cylinder head shop port your Dart LS1 heads, I would recommend buying the 205cc castings. There is more material in the ports and will allow the head porter more room to work

Suggested retail price for the assembled heads $651.88/each. These heads are ready to run out of the box.

cary et performance said:
you will probably see single 1.250 springs, steel retainers and rubber seals with no locators.
Good news, Cary. Assembled heads will have stainless steel severe duty valves, beehive springs good to .625" lift, and titanium retainers. The valves come from Eaton, who supplies Manley. The springs come from PSI, who supplies Comp Cams. The retainers are being made by Trick Titanium. They will also have bronze valve guides and teflon stem seals. I don't know about locators yet, but shims at least.

Some people have commented about the percieved low price. If you look at our PRO1 heads for a traditional SBC, these come in at the same price. It doesn't cost us any more to cast and machine the LS1 head than a classic SBC head, so there is no reason to inflate the pricing. As for the shops that offer CNC programs (like E.T. Performance), I expect they will offer CNC programs on our castings.

Lots of people have asked when they can get the heads. The first batch of 40 heads is being finished right now. These are already sold. The next batch of 300 heads will be ready in mid to late October. We're waiting on the foundry for castings. About half of these are already sold. Following that, we should have them readily available on an ongoing basis, depending on how fast orders come in. Orders are being taken through retailers now, and will be filled on a first come, first serve basis.

We have never tried to seek CARB #'s for our cylinder heads. To the best of my knowledge, the boss has no intention of doing this in the future.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Moxie
Some people have commented about the percieved low price. If you look at our PRO1 heads for a traditional SBC, these come in at the same price. It doesn't cost us any more to cast and machine the LS1 head than a classic SBC head, so there is no reason to inflate the pricing. As for the shops that offer CNC programs (like E.T. Performance), I expect they will offer CNC programs on our castings.
Don't tell any of the other head companies this. They all say it costs more to make a quality product. I always wanted to ask exactly where they cut corners on their less expensive SBC/5.0 heads. Thanks for the reasonably priced, affordable choice!

Galen
Old 09-16-2005, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

awsome! your going to sell a **** load of these heads at that price... you going to be a sponsor of ls1tech? also can we go straight threw dart for ordering instead of dealing with a middle man?

Last edited by scottyballs; 09-16-2005 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:00 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well there ya go
I'd imagine a mild mild hand or cnc port on these heads would make them flow as good or better than most other heads currently being sold...

I think this might be the head to run now,TEA/ET might wanna get a few sets just to see what they bring as far as numbers after a porting..

Even out of the box most guys will get great results...62CC with a .045 Cometic and a decent cam should bring over 400RW...I wanna buy them but again I'm waitng to see whats comming from Edle/Trick Flow and to see what these Darts produce with a CNC porting....
Old 09-16-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

cary et performance said:

Good news, Cary. Assembled heads will have stainless steel severe duty valves, beehive springs good to .625" lift, and titanium retainers. The valves come from Eaton, who supplies Manley. The springs come from PSI, who supplies Comp Cams. The retainers are being made by Trick Titanium. They will also have bronze valve guides and teflon stem seals. I don't know about locators yet, but shims at least.

Simply awesome!!! You guys are going to sell these like hotcakes, it's about time someone was honest about actual cost!

Can you tell us if these heads have a thick deck for FI/NOS use, and if so how thick? Will there be any options on chamber size (eg: 72cc)?

I'm really excited you guys entered the arena.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
The numbers are on their site. Here is linky

And realistically a good porter such as tea will probably only pick up about 18-20 cfm at peak. 60 cfm would put them at 370+ which is not achievable out of a casting of this nature IMO.

http://www.dartheads.com/manager/uploads/LS1Flyer.pdf

Nate
Uh Nate.......

303 + 60 doesnt equal 370+. And there are CNC programs that have in the past picked up 60 cfm..... from an as cast DART head..... not to mention other manufacturers. The math isnt that hard.

Hell a mild cnc job could put these puppies flowing like crazy from .2-.4 and still peaking with the big guys heads all with a smaller runner.
Did you figure it out now ??
Old 09-17-2005, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Assembled heads will have stainless steel severe duty valves, beehive springs good to .625" lift, and titanium retainers. The valves come from Eaton, who supplies Manley. The springs come from PSI, who supplies Comp Cams. The retainers are being made by Trick Titanium. They will also have bronze valve guides and teflon stem seals. I don't know about locators yet, but shims at least.
i thought the beehive springs were only good for .600" lift, so if these heads are good to .625" lift could i just bolt them on with a t-rex cam?
Old 09-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Rod
On The Tree

I thought Peterson made the springs for Comp. And PSI did the beehive springs for Isky?
Old 09-17-2005, 03:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chicane
Uh Nate.......

303 + 60 doesnt equal 370+. And there are CNC programs that have in the past picked up 60 cfm..... from an as cast DART head..... not to mention other manufacturers. The math isnt that hard.

Did you figure it out now ??

Yes but hogging out a cylinder to pick up 60 cfm at peak wont gain you 15 cfm at .2, .3 and .4.

and no 303+60 doesn't equal 370, but I wasn't trying to be exact, just make a point. If you have problems with my math you can pm me but keep this on topic. This thread is starting to get good really good.

Who is getting the initial 40 sets of heads?

Nate
Old 09-17-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
Yes but hogging out a cylinder to pick up 60 cfm at peak wont gain you 15 cfm at .2, .3 and .4.

Nate
No, were not talking about 'hogging' a port to pick up mass or median flow numbers. Taking the right amount of material, from the right places, is what gains net and gross flow numbers without turning the port into the Grand Canyon.

There is no mild or wild to CNC porting. It is either done correctly, or it has room to become better, if the original port profile hasnt been screwed up too much......

Old 09-18-2005, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

Some people have commented about the percieved low price. If you look at our PRO1 heads for a traditional SBC, these come in at the same price. It doesn't cost us any more to cast and machine the LS1 head than a classic SBC head, so there is no reason to inflate the pricing.
Thank you. The LS1/Corvette "Tax" is really really annoying.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black_z
Thank you. The LS1/Corvette "Tax" is really really annoying.
HERD THAT LOUD AND CLEAR
Old 09-19-2005, 08:01 AM
11 Second Club

I don't know about you guys, but those heads looked like they were unported. So they are exceeding 310cfm with unported heads. That should be enough for most high performance aplications, and it gives you the ability to grow into them......this price is great, but I would have to sell some of the crap on them like the springs/seats/retainers....get about $400 for them, and get a new set of heads for under a grand......I like the look of this.......I need to see what they do first.....
Old 09-19-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will these accept standard LS1 sized springs and valves? Or are they using less expensive and heavier SBC stuff? Im mostly interested in knowing if I can use a dual spring kit on these heads since I perfer the safety of duals. Id also just like to be sure that the heads are not using heavier SBC valves.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

I for one have quite a chunk of change invested in my springs/seats/retainers so if I can't use them, then I would NEVER look at these heads twice.......

Quick Reply: Just Talked To Dart.....