Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much is enough?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how much is enough?

alright guys, i'm having some major issues that i can't straighten out myself, so i'm here to get some opinions.

I have my '02 WS6, i've put hooker long tubes, borla, electric cutout, walbro 255, SLP flowpack and a NOS wet kit.

I want more power. I haven't hooked up my nitrous yet, but i want to beable to spank a new vette on the street, a loud rumblin car, and have the nitrous as a back up. I don't want to be sprayin all the time to get by.

I was thinking a H/C package from TSP or something. I don't have a big chunk of change to spend, i'm in college. but with this power i'll need a 9", stronger driveshaft, new clutch being an M6. Which is a hell of a lot more than the H/C package itself.

so is it worth it? Or should I just stick with what I have, I mean, how much power is enough? I plan on going to the track once and awhile but I keep everything clean, so I do more street driving, car shows etc. I want to beable to pull into a car show and have people know right away that I've got something everybody else doesn't.

so whats your opinions guys?

thanks!
Old 10-20-2005, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

You shouldn't have to upgrade your driveline for a heads and cam package. Maybe nitrous, but not so much if you don't try to launch with slicks on your car. I wouldn't set spanking a new vette as a goal with your car while being a college student. The new vette is $70k plus, and money buys power. It's a tall order to keep up with while a student. Study hard, get good grades, get a good job, then for the rest of your life you can own vettes instead of trying to spank'em.

By the way, I wouldn't take it back, but 500 rwhp is a challlange for street driving. You don't get to use it much, and you don't beat anyone out of the hole, thats for sure.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Launching!

To play you gotta pay. I feel the same way about the bottle, i want it all the time. You can start saving or buy one piece at a time, start with the rear end since it sounds like you like to drive the **** out of it.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

well i don't expect to spank a new C6 Z06, but i want the c5's to worry

i know i'll own vettes in the future, i'm an engineering student, so hopefully things will work out well. but i am sick of going to the track and getting slamed by a cobra etc

and i wouldn't really say i drive the **** out of my car. if anything i really only like to whip it around corners, I don't slam on it that much since i know the rear is pretty weak
Old 10-21-2005, 03:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
Or should I just stick with what I have, I mean, how much power is enough?
It's rarely ever enough! I'm in the same shoes (even the same line of study) and I'm taking it slow. I've had to buy stuff a little at a time and do a substantial amount of research before I make a purchase so I can be sure I don't spend my hard earned money in vain. Next up for me is a set of heads. I say just do the same, enjoy the power you have now and try to make the most of it. Set a goal, save up for it and buy it.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:08 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

slicks on 10 bolt + traction = owned!
Old 10-21-2005, 03:10 AM
On The Tree

you having a m6, putting 450-480 that h/c packages give you, you get a sticky tire and race from a dig, dump the clutch.. you can def kiss that 10 bolt bye bye.. that's why a lot of stock 10 bolt guys that arent super careful, race from rolls.

get a nice cam like the TSP MS3 and you'll be around 370-380 and with full bolt ons, you'll have around 390-400 to the wheels.. that is plenty and the cam like nitrous.. look at TRMIN8R's video's.. that is all he has is that cam, 3.73's, all bolt ons, 200 shot, m6 car.. dynoed 417 off bottle, 61X on bottle. You can also use the LG G5x4 cam like I will be, its suppose to be the biggest cam usable with stock heads/bottom end before fly cutting pistons... (no specs released to the public though)
Old 10-21-2005, 05:25 AM
12 Second Club

H/C,headers and all your bolt ons,thats the way I would go till I finished college. then good job ad you'll be able to do what you want.

fuerzaws6
Old 10-21-2005, 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dcdime
you having a m6, putting 450-480 that h/c packages give you, you get a sticky tire and race from a dig, dump the clutch.. you can def kiss that 10 bolt bye bye.. that's why a lot of stock 10 bolt guys that arent super careful, race from rolls.

get a nice cam like the TSP MS3 and you'll be around 370-380 and with full bolt ons, you'll have around 390-400 to the wheels.. that is plenty and the cam like nitrous.. look at TRMIN8R's video's.. that is all he has is that cam, 3.73's, all bolt ons, 200 shot, m6 car.. dynoed 417 off bottle, 61X on bottle. You can also use the LG G5x4 cam like I will be, its suppose to be the biggest cam usable with stock heads/bottom end before fly cutting pistons... (no specs released to the public though)

well thats why i'm posting this. i knew i'd need a new rear end, and a 9" is like $2500. Thats more than the H/C package right there pretty much. I was looking at the TSP Torquer2, unless theres something more aggressive
Old 10-21-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

You could find a used TR224 cam (or the like) and a set of TEA stage 1 heads. $1200 for cam and heads is cheap. You would then own anything under $70K at the track.

On the rear...run it until it breaks. It will break with slicks or drag radials.

Good luck.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by equandt
You could find a used TR224 cam (or the like) and a set of TEA stage 1 heads. $1200 for cam and heads is cheap. You would then own anything under $70K at the track.

On the rear...run it until it breaks. It will break with slicks or drag radials.

Good luck.
Or it might break on stock tires, or it might survive at the strip with slicks. The stock 10 bolt is a strange (and normally weak) piece. There are a few people on here with 6 speeds that have made their stock 10 bolt live at the track. I think a lot of it has to do with not just dumping the clutch and shocking the rear.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a used vortech have it tuned then beat the z06.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

i'd be nervous buying a used supercharger, just too many things to go wrong
Old 10-21-2005, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

You'll need a good clutch no matter what you do.

Buy the 9" and put in more gear. 4.10s or 4.33s or 4.56. Then throw some good tires on. Unless you are one of the rare M6 drivers who can cut a good 60' on a stock 3.42 rear, your ET will probably drop by .5 by being able to launch the car hard. Next up is a cam if you have funds left.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:15 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a good drivetrain and you will be cutting probably at the lowest 1.8's and running mid 7.x's with good suspension mods as well.
There are several people that have gone 12's 1/4 with no internal engine mods. then do what ragtop said about the cam last.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

what sponsor happens to have the cheapest 9"? 4.10s or 4.33s or 4.56, out of those gears, what would be the best? Wouldn't anything higher than a 4.10 be pretty bad on the street?
Old 10-24-2005, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

If your gonna spray on top of your H/C, then don't go with real steep gears, or you'll run out of gear in 4th at the track on the juice.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah i'm goina spray ontop of the H/C later down the line

thats why i asked, i figured some of those gears would be too high
Old 10-24-2005, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt

I was thinking a H/C package from TSP or something. I don't have a big chunk of change to spend, i'm in college. but with this power i'll need a 9", stronger driveshaft, new clutch being an M6. Which is a hell of a lot more than the H/C package itself.

so is it worth it? Or should I just stick with what I have, I mean, how much power is enough? I plan on going to the track once and awhile but I keep everything clean, so I do more street driving, car shows etc. I want to beable to pull into a car show and have people know right away that I've got something everybody else doesn't.

so whats your opinions guys?

thanks!
Even with a cam only package on a 6-speed, you will destroy the clutch in short order at the track. Unfortunately, I and another member both know this from experience. Since $$ is a concern, and you do mostly STREET driving, I'd do a cam package. Complete kits can be had for $600-700. Everyone in a parking lot will damn well know your car isn't stock with an aftermarket cam and LT headers. Later on as funds allow, then add heads.

The stock clutch will survive on the street, but if you frequent the track, that will be another $750-1300. As long as you're not doing 3K+ drops from idle on slicks, the stock rear should survive. Higher ratio gears are actually thinner and thus more prone to breakage. I'd recommend keeping the stock ones alone.

As for when is enough power enough? When the car is so fast it can't physically stay on the ground... and then a step beyond
Old 10-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Launching!

im kinda in the same situation as you. Im in my first year of college and want my car to be faster, and beat most of the cars. However I dont have alot of money to spend. I figure ill just build it up slowly, right now i just ordered my LT headers and f13 cam. Then later on when i get more money ill just keep building it up. No matter what no power will be enough. Im already one ahead of you though because last summer my clutch went and i got a stage 3. Id jsut do what you can afford, dont ever spend all your money because then if something breaks your screwed.