Sponsored by:

Hi-Po Cam Hurt Mileage???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi-Po Cam Hurt Mileage???

Hello all
Been reading about cams for the LS engines. Have watched a handful of videos with cars that are "cam only" cars with headers. They sound very very good and seems to be a simple upgrade worth a few ponies. My main concern is how much (if any) does it hinder mileage. Planning a conversion next Spring and want to get decent mileage. Going to do an LS1/6 Speed in a little base model 2002 S10. Currently it is a 4 banger 5 speed and squeaks about 26mpg on average. Have read of stock LS1 350's getting anywhere from 22-29mpg. The 29mpg sounds a little fishy but anything is possible. If at all possible, I'd like to have a mild sounding cam that gives a little extra HP but can yield a mileage of maybe 25mpg at least??
Have read about the Comp Cams, T-Rex, and other cams guys are stuffing in their cars. Wondering which might be the best to keep mileage decent. This is my daily driver and will remain so when the LS is in it. Any suggestions for further reading would be great or maybe some options for cams. Also, with a new hotter cam, some require tuning so I've read. Can this be done through a hand held scanner/programmer? The company that I plan to have do my intial ECM reprogram and wire harness includes a Predator HandHeld tuner/scanner. Can this be used to tweak the ECM for the new cam?

Sorry for all the questions. Feel free to look over this post since I am a newbie Have done a fair amount of searching on the board but can't come up with anything on cams and mileage changes.

Thanks!!
BILL @ RC ALLOYS
Old 10-26-2005, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

i dont know what kinda of mileaga a trex cam will give you. but im fairly confident it isnt anywhere close to 25mpg. my mechanic has a grind from somewhere that gets 20mpg and that is good from what i can tell from when u put a cam in. most that i know of r lucky to get over 15. i know there are several out there getting more but around here not many get over 15. but mine gets 21 on highway in a stalled auto with 3.73s
Old 10-26-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Resident

You should be able to get a fairly decent sized cam without killing the mileage too much. With my mods I'm getting right at 25mpg and am pushing 400rwhp.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. Cam upgrade looks like it not be an option for me. This truck will remain my daily driver and has to get pretty darn good fuel economy. Could live with 25mpg but I doubt just sticking a cam in is going to get numbers like that. Likely would need a few other goodies. Wondering about just trying to advance the timing a bit. Always worked well in the old school stuff I've played with. We'll see, I got LOTS of research to do on this entire project. Appreciate the quick replies, feel free to keep adding info. Maybe I should have done a poll type thing?
Old 10-27-2005, 04:32 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, mine gets about 19 in the city and 28 on the highway. basically same duration as the t-rex, but have a tad less lift. If you are gonna cam a car, gas mileage is automatically moved to the back burner
Old 10-27-2005, 04:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My Z got 28mpg on the highway with an intake and drag radials @ 15psi so it could have gotten probably 30mpg if i pumped the tires up to 32psi. Around town it got 24. After the heads, cam headers and all i manage 18mpg in town and 26mpg on the highway
Old 10-27-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you're going to put the LS1 into a truck, then your modding is going to be slightly hampered by the fact that the standard headers for the LS1 might not fit, therefore you may need custom headers, or just have to get mid-lengths or shorties. You'll need all the supporting mods before you get a camshaft, otherwise you won't take full advantage. Also, having headers will help regain some of the lost mpg.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=13395

The link above is to jrp's profile. He is another moderator. In his signature are a set of FAQ's, which are Frequently Asked Questions(if you didn't know), and will answer many of your questions. Read them, and then see what other questions you have. Also hit up the conversions forum here, I'm pretty sure someone else has put an LS1 in their S10.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Hmmm, OrangePeel and Shawn........ your mileage sounds fair. Maybe a mild cam would do the trick and still get fair mileage. Don't want anything TOO radical. Just a cam you can kind of hear, gain a little performance and still do nice on fuel. Lobe centers seem to kill fuel economy, maybe a 112-115LSA. I'll have to make note of the cams you're running in your cars. Thinking maybe do the conversion and leave the engine alone first go 'round. Drive it, debug and then decide if a cam would be a good idea. Headers are a must but will be shorties. No fund for custom and I certainly don't wanna start with a pile of tubing and make my own. Did that once and never again! Shorties will fit and primaries are 1.625 I think. Been cruising the conversion/hybrid forum as well, finding bits and pieces of useful info. Will check the FAQ too. Thanks!

On another note, anybody know how one would verify model year of an engine? Reason being is if I want to go about this the legal way, I'll need a 2002 engine. Well, they are currently difficult to locate. Seems 98-2001 engines are everywhere! Does the ECM denote what year the engine is? Or are there date codes on the block, heads, intake, stuff like that? If there is no REAL way to tell what year the engine is it would be a lot easier to find something for my truck. Sucks because as you know, 02 was the last year for F-Bodies. Drivelines out of the F's are easier to deal with when stuffing in S10's. Missed a killer deal on E-Bay this last Sunday. 2002 WS6 RamAir F-Bird 6 speed. Was a rollover with 3100 miles on it...........sold for $5800!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

if it has perimiter valve cover bolts it is a 98, look for 241 heads. only late 99s and then on had them. unless you buy a motor someone has put heads on. a 2000 plus motor should b good. u can also look for a ls6 intake on the motor. that will save u 425+ for a ls6 and will help with performance slightly
good luck man hope it helps
Old 10-27-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

My highway gas mileage really didn't drop much at all (maybe 1-2mpg) its my around town gas mileage that suffered b/c of the idle w/ the cam. I used to get 20/21 city, and 26/27hwy. Now i'm getting about 14-16city, and 25-26hwy.

Of course in the city there is more chances to open it up too ... that might play a factor in the decreased mileage
Old 10-27-2005, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Eh, ok it seems a cam could be an option I could deal with 26-27mpg highway as that is what I drive most.

Back to the engine model year identifying. My problem is, to do this the legal way the engine needs to be a 2002 model year because my truck is. Like I said, right now 2002 F-Bodies are hard to find for donors for driveline. Was wondering, does the ECM denote what year the engine is or are there obvious date codes on the block, heads, and stuff like that? If there isn't an easy way for the Emission Station guys to figure out what year engine it is, I can snag a 2000-2002 LS and 6 speed. Hope someone can answer this or point me in the direction in order to find out about it. Thanks!!!! Awesome group of folks here, making my conversion planning easier.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

My vette got 29-30 mpg highway when it was bone stock. It now has 4.10 gears and a 236/239 .600/.611 112 +2 cam in it and gets 26mpg highway.

Mike
Old 10-27-2005, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

it shouldnt matter what year u put in. no emission people are gonna ask what year it is. and if they do just say an 02. emissions are emisions if a 98 will pass in a 98 car it should pass in your truck. i really dont think they will ask. and y does it have to b an 02? i know u say legally. but your changing it from the original motor so what does the yr matter?
Old 10-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Feeling better about a cam now! For sure will look into it when conversion time comes. Really don't feel like pulling the front of the truck apart to put a cam in. :-)

Reason I keep saying the engine has to be a 2002 model year is because that is what EPA rules say. Engine replacement in light duty trucks is allowed as long as it is the same year as the truck or newer. Plan is to get the truck's plates renewed for 2 years come March. Then we got 2 years to get it right and I know it won't take that long. We have emissions test stations here. They plug into the diag. port and if it doesn't have any codes, you pass. Any codes, immediate fail. I also have to pass a safety as most do but have to pass the visual. GM didn't offer the S10 with a V8 so it might cause a stink. However, I have talked to a few S10 guys in California and they are legal out there with a V8. If it is legit in California (CARB rules) for sure it will be ok here. Long as it retains all factory emissions equipment and controls and runs clean with no codes, nobody cares.
Just trying to go about this as smart as possible first time so there aren't any troubles. There are 5-6 months before the conversion can take place so who knows, might find a heck of a deal on an O2 driveline.

Thanks again for all the help, really like the numbers I am hearing on the cams you all are running. I certainly could deal with the highway mileage. I agree though, city mileage might suck as there is more of a chance to open things up around town between lights