Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys work on these cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 06:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 66deuce
when the SBC first came out in 55,it was actually considered to be a leap forward in technology,much as the GEN III is today.even though the first year motor didn't have an oil filter in the block,if i remember right
i guess sucked is a relative term. Relative to today they sucked.

a missing oil filter isn't anything. There have been cars without valvecovers or oil pans! just leak oil down the road
Old 11-09-2005, 08:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,750 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by treyZ28
"these cars" was taken to be modern cars. I highly doubt he has a problem with LS1's alone. I've only owned 2 4th gens and neither has exactly been stock. An LQ9 is basically a cast iron LS engine anway.

Sorry if an engine swap, transmissions swap and minor bolt ons arn't enough for you. But dont give me anyshit. A quick run through of your posts shows that Erik is building your engine- which is fine, but it certainly doesn't give you "talk down rights." Anyone can sign a credit card bill.

Not that any of the above matters, I'm saying SBC's are better bang for the buck and yes they are easier to work on. You dont need to own any car to see the obvous there. And before you go off again, I've worked on my share of "high output" modern engines and some of my closest friends are pretty big powertrain geeks. This whole thing isnt exactly new to me.

Lastly, from a logical point of view you have a major flaw in your reasoning. You attack the speaker, not their argument. But hey, you're the one on desktop dyno, why dont you tell me how things work.
Oh thats so cute you can use the search button, and why dont u deserve to get ****?look at your avatar.......damn rednecks Now Now put away the confederate flag,the union DID win. but you come on here saying how SBC's are better bang for the buck then an LS1 when all u show are some prices out of summit and a set of heads that flow well ,take a stock SBC and throw only a cam and springs in it and then take an LS1 and throw a cam and springs in it and see what makes more.....AND WHICH REVS HIGHER.I looked at some of your posts...like how youd be afraid to spec out your own cam?thats nice....As far as my motor,im sorry i didnt realize that it was MANDATORY to build your own when im currently taking 2 Engineering majors as well as 2 jobs, and the deal i got for the motor was far better than what it would have cost me to put it together myself.Whats that saying....Dont bring a knife to a gun fight?Id just drop it already instead of having to quote everyone who posts and argue with them or try to prove them wrong.End of story.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Oh thats so cute you can use the search button, and why dont u deserve to get ****?look at your avatar.......damn rednecks Now Now put away the confederate flag,the union DID win. but you come on here saying how SBC's are better bang for the buck then an LS1 when all u show are some prices out of summit and a set of heads that flow well ,take a stock SBC and throw only a cam and springs in it and then take an LS1 and throw a cam and springs in it and see what makes more.....AND WHICH REVS HIGHER.I looked at some of your posts...like how youd be afraid to spec out your own cam?thats nice....As far as my motor,im sorry i didnt realize that it was MANDATORY to build your own when im currently taking 2 Engineering majors as well as 2 jobs, and the deal i got for the motor was far better than what it would have cost me to put it together myself.Whats that saying....Dont bring a knife to a gun fight?Id just drop it already instead of having to quote everyone who posts and argue with them or try to prove them wrong.End of story.
We went through the revving thing already. Comparing stock engines is silly. one is $50 and 30 years old. one is $3000. and apparently you are well versed in the search button usage as well. If you can spec out your own cam, that is impressive. More than likely you need to learn what you dont know.
If you going to do exactly what I told you NOT to do (attack person instead of argument) at least do it accurately.
I spent my entire life a rock throw away from NYC minus college.
-Trey

Mechanical engineering major
Senior w/ 20 credit hrs. 24 next semester.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:23 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

they dont make 600hp? why do you guys think that good heads dont exist outside the LSx world?
If you are going to quote someone, how about not taking things out of context and putting words in my mouth.

Here is what my statement said:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I'll bet your Dart doesn't make 600 hp on pump gas, average 24 mpg on the highway, run mid 10s in the 1/4, and be reliable enough to complete the 4500 mile round trip for Power Tour.
I never said an older engine couldn't make 600 hp, but I know they don't make 600 hp and do the things I listed as well.

Trey, no need to defend the SBC so much and take things personally. Most of us are well aware of the potential of them with aftermarket parts. You are preaching to the choir.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
If you are going to quote someone, how about not taking things out of context and putting words in my mouth.

Here is what my statement said:

I never said an older engine couldn't make 600 hp, but I know they don't make 600 hp and do the things I listed as well.

Trey, no need to defend the SBC so much and take things personally. Most of us are well aware of the potential of them with aftermarket parts. You are preaching to the choir.
if the LS can do it, the sbc can do 97% of it. if an LS is going to make 600hp on pump gas, an SBC will too. gas milage will be off by about 10%. 20-22mpg sounds right for a 6spd sbc.

meh. i dont take it personally. For the first time since i bought my first car, i'm down to one vehicle- the one in the sig. not exactly an LS hater.

Last edited by treyZ28; 11-09-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,750 Likes on 1,306 Posts

We went through the revving thing already. Comparing stock engines is silly. one is $50 and 30 years old. one is $3000. and apparently you are well versed in the search button usage as well. If you can spec out your own cam, that is impressive. More than likely you need to learn what you dont know.
If you going to do exactly what I told you NOT to do (attack person instead of argument) at least do it accurately.
I spent my entire life a rock throw away from NYC minus college.
-Trey

Mechanical engineering major
Senior w/ 20 credit hrs. 24 next semester.
I was born and raised in NY. Went to school there too.congratulations...send me the rest of your resume and maybe ill let you work for me some day.You have your opinions and the rest of the people in this thread happen to have a diff opinion,oh well.agree to disagree and call it a day.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ddnspider
I was born and raised in NY. Went to school there too.congratulations...send me the rest of your resume and maybe ill let you work for me some day.You have your opinions and the rest of the people in this thread happen to have a diff opinion,oh well.agree to disagree and call it a day.

I have several job offers, I like the one i'm at. they dont seem to have problems paying for over $100k of grad school. I'm not sure what kind of opening you have, but I'm sure you dont pay enough.

Thanks though.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

get a job first then brag, till then your just a student.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FST99Z
lots of blood,sweat, and explitives go into every mod I put on the car.
This was the first reply and is as far as I read, but sums it up nicely. When I did my cam/springs swap it was mostly by myself over christmas break in my garage back home that was about 35*. PLENTY of those three things went into that.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was 50 when I bought my 02 T/A, finally could afford it. Glad I did not have it when I was young. I would have killed myself with all this power.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have several job offers, I like the one i'm at. they dont seem to have problems paying for over $100k of grad school. I'm not sure what kind of opening you have, but I'm sure you dont pay enough.

Thanks though.

Wow... am i missing something? Please dont be one of those arrogant know it all, fresh out of school, engineers!! (we like to mess with them anyway.... )

Last edited by DanO; 11-09-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

if the LS can do it, the sbc can do 97% of it. if an LS is going to make 600hp on pump gas, an SBC will too. gas milage will be off by about 10%. 20-22mpg sounds right for a 6spd sbc..

prove it. Show me a SBC setup that will do all that and doesn't have a much larger $$ tag on it than you seem to be indicating.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

give me a few grand. i'm not going to build an sbc for you.
an aquaintance of mine is running high 11s in a street trim 327 3rd gen with th400 non OD with 20 or 21mpg i think he said on the highway.

carbs were tuned very rich from the factory. they also typically came with very low compression.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DanO
Wow... am i missing something? Please dont be one of those arrogant know it all, fresh out of school, engineers!! (we like to mess with them anyway.... )

heh. I'm not being arrogent. I dont know much about anything. I was asked what I was an expert at in an interview. I said nothing.

I really dont want to go into depths, but i'm pretty sound with a job coming out of college (pretty easy to presume, senior now) and I have an interview tomorrow too.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heh. I'm not being arrogent. I dont know much about anything. I was asked what I was an expert at in an interview. I said nothing.

I really dont want to go into depths, but i'm pretty sound with a job coming out of college (pretty easy to presume, senior now) and I have an interview tomorrow too.

Well good luck
Old 11-09-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks. you work in kzoo? My friend is co-oping there.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

you work on the car because it is a challenge. beyond all the technology, the LSx is still a small block chevy, so it gets worked on at home just like any other SBC car i've owned.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

give me a few grand. i'm not going to build an sbc for you.
an aquaintance of mine is running high 11s in a street trim 327 3rd gen with th400 non OD with 20 or 21mpg i think he said on the highway.

carbs were tuned very rich from the factory. they also typically came with very low compression.
with what,a 4000 stall converter?
Old 11-10-2005, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

I'll call bs on the whole 21 mpg carb thing... I've rocked a 350 with 10.2 : 1 compression on a road trip, gunning with o.d and a 2.41 rear ( do the math, it's about wht a stock six speed spins) and it only got 18. and yes, that engine is sitting on the garage floor while I build a 6 liter. and fwiw, they do have six bolt mains..... even in the iron block. Cheerio'
Old 11-10-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

id much rather have a 6 liter too. Actually, i had the choice- and believe me- On Jan 2nd of 2003, the 03 silverado cost a *bit* more than the 92 on the used car lot.

I wanted OEM reliability and backing for 400hp. Sure I could have made more power for less, but I didn't care. I wanted fire and go. I dont have time to deal with aftermarket problems. So i went 6.0. whatever. new silverado also had waranty and creature comforts I wanted.

(actually, I got a 345hp LQ9 complete for $2000 + 20hp for the tuning so i doubt id beat that with anything).

my friends 302 mustang gets waaaay better than 18, i'm pretty sure hes mid to low 20s. his is stock in a 69 mach one.

Just talked to a guy today: 415rwhp budget built $2600 machine work- air filter to oil pan engine that is daily driven gets 19mpg highway on a TH400 with no OD and 3.42 gears. He runs iron heads too. I'm sure he did his own port work.

he has more expierence than most with an SBC, thats safe to say. Also a *bit* more redneck than most, that is even safer to say

pics:

not bad for a dude with 1 arm!

Last edited by treyZ28; 11-10-2005 at 01:15 AM.