Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil to heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No oil to heads

Hey guys, I just finished my heads and cam install and also put on a new ported LS6 oil pump from TR. I have the 6.0 heads and gaskets to drop my compression down a bit since this is a turbo motor. It started instantly but sounded like crap so I shut it off. I checked it out and it seemed fine so I started it again and it ran for 30 sec or so and it sounded like a lot of valvetrain noise. I killed it again. I pulled the driver side valve cover off and there was no sign of oil being pumped to the rockers or anything. It pushes about 40psi oil pressure at idle. What is going on???
Old 11-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Could just be that it's bone dry from the new heads being put on, also could be cold and the oil is a bit thicker. I know on mine it doesnt actually pump oil up for a little bit until the engine runs warmer. Also at work on cars where the engine sat without running for a bit it has horrible valve train noise, but after a while it quiets down as oil pumps itself up. I could be wrong, but that's my best guess, that it hasnt run long enough to thoroughly pump everything through. Any way you can squirt oil through the valve covers just to shut it up a little to see or would that be a hassle?
Old 11-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

At this point, i just want to get it running. That makes perfect sense but I would have thought there would be some kinda oil making its way to the valves. I'll go take the covers off and shoot it with oil and see if it smoothens out. I just don't want anything bad to hurt it.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I understand, I'm only basing my guess off of my experience with DOHC Saab engines that hadn't run in forever. Of course when I did the cam swap on my 350 I couldnt hear it A) because it never ran until like months later and had plenty of cranking so they got oiled I bet, and B) even if it didnt get oiled it was running open shorty headers so I really have no clue what mine did, but they oil up now. By chance what kinda oil are you running? If you're real concerned about the oil being too cold and thick to pump through good drain the oil in it and run something like 5W-30 or somethin thin just to see if there is a bigger problem. Thinner oils should go through it much faster and easier.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Always royal purple 10w30
Old 11-13-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

did you lubricate the gears inside the oil pump with assembly lube?

did you u use the original oil pump o ring, or something similar?.

you said you had about 40 psi right? if thats the case then the oil working its way up.

remember every time you do a job like that, you need to use assembly lube
Old 11-14-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It takes a few minutes to fully pump the lifters full with oil and then for the oil to travel up the pushrods and finally through the rockers. You probably didnt let the engine run long enough to fill the lifters yet. You could run it at 30 second increments with a few minutes inbetween to cool off, but you really shouldnt have to. As long as youve got good pressure, theyll eventually pump up.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

This is why you should pour oil on the valvetrain first...
Old 11-14-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
This is why you should pour oil on the valvetrain first...
Simply pouring oil into the lifters will not pump them up in the least. The oil just drains down and back into the pan. Even squirting oil into the pishrod holes wont help pump them up any faster. Ofcourse, it is wise to make sure that everything is covered in oil, im just saying its not gonna pump up any quicker.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

your guys are right.But its better to lubricate with essembly lube
Old 11-15-2005, 04:51 AM
On The Tree

what about the camshaft bushing?
maybe when he installed the cam it wasn`t applied and lubed well
correct me if i`m wrong
Old 11-15-2005, 06:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by A Mustang's NightMare
your guys are right.But its better to lubricate with essembly lube
I hate to keep disagreeing with you, especially since youre essentailly on the right track.

Many builders will recommend just using a heavy oil like 40 or 50 wt instead of assembly lude since assubly lube and grease has been said to clog the oil pickup screen.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Simply pouring oil into the lifters will not pump them up in the least. The oil just drains down and back into the pan. Even squirting oil into the pishrod holes wont help pump them up any faster. Ofcourse, it is wise to make sure that everything is covered in oil, im just saying its not gonna pump up any quicker.
I wasn't talking about only the lifters. I was talking about everything, the rockers and springs included. That way they aren't bone dry when you start the engine. It is simple common sense.