Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Help, please read.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am no expert, by far, but I just tuned a friends GTO (read heavy car) with a 239/240 110LSA cam, and while its rough at startup, it soon idles decent, and makes at LEAST as much power as stock up to 3K and then off it goes into raped ape land. When cruising, you CANNOT tell there is a cam in there. MPG is uneffected. Once in a while, below 1500 it will buck. And this is kind of a nasty cam, and im a beginner tuner.

The old days of "buy too much cam and youll be sorry" are long gone, thanks to electronic fuel and spark control.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a trex and daily drive it and at times it isn't big enough. Stick with it man.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am running all bolt ons, six speed with 216/220 cam and drive it everyday. I am switching heads and bigger cam with dual exhaust in a week. It will still be a daily driver. You need to make sure you have a good tune.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

From what you said about getting a torque converter, its clear to me that Eastside is giving you good advice. With a stock torque converter, that cam must feel kind of doggy down low until it gets into its powerband. At a stop with a raised idle, the car must feel like it wants to pull through the brakes. With virtually no money to spend on more mods, going back to a stock cam appears very reasonable.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by CT ITALIAN 1
Cam is going back to stock tomorrow based on Eastside's advise. :-(

Why would they tell you that? It's all in the tune. A lot of people run larger cams than that in an A4 as a daily driver. PM slowhawk & get him to tune it for you.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:21 PM

You should match the torque converter to the cam. But a converter is not that much money. I understand you are 16, but maybee you can get some help from the place you bought the car? Tell them it is not running right and needs a TC. Changing the cam is like $500 labor. You could do the TC yourself. and use the money to buy the TC.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Launching!

that cam is very small, ive heard of many people driving that cam and bigger ones daily. I just ordered a 230/232 cam for my car, and my friend has that and it drives fine with a tune. We do have m6s that make it alot easier but still lots of autos have the 224/224 cams, just be sure to get it tuned. If its that bad with the stock torque converter though id try to get a loan from your parents to buy one, its not worth the labor to put the stock cam back in.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:31 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Chicken
Sounds like you should consider getting advice from someone else.
And secretively...that is why he posted here, because I wouldn't have asked for reassurance IF I "trusted" my local shop. 224 is not really even considered mild in the eyes of most people. Im a bigger is better kind of guy, but who knows...Probably because I am from Texas!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 08:11 AM
On The Tree

deep down, I really don't want it out...at all. But, my parents are making me because ESP recommended it. Oh well, they claim I won't loose alotta hp and I can now do some more lil stuff where before my parents didn't want me doing any more motor mods.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell ESP to go pound sand they have no right ******* your **** up like that. If they cant tune the damn thing they suck anyway and have no business giving advice. Find a real shop and get a second opinion for your parents to hear. Tuning is the only issue and apparently they cant tune for ****.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Banned

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I've got a 236/236 Lunati and it's perfect! I'd ditch whoever told you that bogus. Do they tune Hondas or something?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CT ITALIAN 1
deep down, I really don't want it out...at all. But, my parents are making me because ESP recommended it. Oh well, they claim I won't loose alotta hp and I can now do some more lil stuff where before my parents didn't want me doing any more motor mods.
You have cool parental units. I'd appeal to their sense of frugality and tell them that down the road you'll just end up doing the labor over again and paying twice for the cam install.

I'd go somewhere in the middle and pick a more mild cam that will work well with your current TC.

The parts are less than the labor, no?

JM2C Good luck!
Old 11-16-2005, 12:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
You have cool parental units. I'd appeal to their sense of frugality and tell them that down the road you'll just end up doing the labor over again and paying twice for the cam install.

I'd go somewhere in the middle and pick a more mild cam that will work well with your current TC.

The parts are less than the labor, no?

JM2C Good luck!
Maybe your right here. A dyno tune is only $425 and how much are they going nto charge to take the cam out ?!? more than that I'll gaurantee... Seems real fishy now when you think about it. How can Eastside make more money on this kid..... Ok I know I sound really harsh and I'm bashing a sponsor on this,(which I just saw on the list) but the kid is talking about a 224 cam which should be a peice of cake. Maybe they only have a dynojet and can't really do a "real world" tune to get the kinks out, I dont know but there shouldnt be a problem with making a 224 driveable. I'm sure I'll hear from cyphur.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 11-16-2005 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

According to your first post the cam should be out now. i hope whatever happens you are happy. I would of found somebody with an auto\stock converter and a comparible cam and ask to go for a drive with them to see if they have the same problem.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nuzee
From what you said about getting a torque converter, its clear to me that Eastside is giving you good advice. With a stock torque converter, that cam must feel kind of doggy down low until it gets into its powerband. At a stop with a raised idle, the car must feel like it wants to pull through the brakes. With virtually no money to spend on more mods, going back to a stock cam appears very reasonable.
Ther are several cams that would be very streetable and still offer more punch:
Comp 206/212
Comp 212/218
comp 216/220
Z06 cam

The 224 is a very popular mid to mild cam and should be re-usable - why doesn't eastside offer to take the 224 in trade on one of the above and you'll all be happy.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Ther are several cams that would be very streetable and still offer more punch:
Comp 206/212
Comp 212/218
comp 216/220
Z06 cam

The 224 is a very popular mid to mild cam and should be re-usable - why doesn't eastside offer to take the 224 in trade on one of the above and you'll all be happy.
I like your thinking! The little cam worked very well with a stock converter.

I was assuming that since he has no source of regular income, being able to afford another cam was out of the question. hmm...ZO6 cam....its a factory stock cam....can be found pretty cheap.....it is a STOCK cam, did I say that already?.....hmm
Old 11-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

I have an A4 with similar size cam maybe the same. Mine had small problems until it was tuned, but you cam get by for now by enlarging the hole in the throttle body blade to 1/4 inch and adjusting the screw in the throttle body to 800 rpm and get by until its tuned. I would just have it tuned. LEAVE THE CAM IN THE CAR!!!
Old 11-16-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am curious how much they will charge him to take that cam out. You figure about $500 which is more than a fuddle 3600 stall (425.00) and more than a professional dyno tune (450.00). If I were you I'd see if I could find a local Fbody club and meet some people. Chances are one of them as eithe LS1Edit or HPTuners and might even to an idle tune for free. That is what I did when I made upgrades, but always offer them something either money, beer, etc....Oh wait forgot about the age thing, forget the beer.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Ok, I will agree that the stock converter is not optimum by any means for that cam. But having it swapped out for the stock cam is ridiculas. I have had an auto with the TSP 225 cam, and with a tune it is NO problem whatsoever.

Trust the guys on this board and use the money that it would take to have it swapped out for a dyno tune or a converter, or both.

I know where I live I can get a FULL dyno tune for 150-200, yes, I know that is a deal! Anyhow, a TC install isn't that hard, just takes time. Even though your only 16, with some buddies help, or your dads or an uncle, you can put a verter in in a good afternoons work. I did mine after work one day, with the help of my buddy.

So that's my .02. Keep that cam, or you WILL regret it later.....like as soon as it's gone, and you WILL wind up spending more money in the long run. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2005, 04:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do what makes you happy, and trust who you will. Just make it like how you like it to run, and enjoy the hell out of driving it. Just be open minded to advise here. Lots of smart folks here.