Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back to Vacuum Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Back to Vacuum Pumps

Well, I haven`t been on the forum in a long time, but I`ve been reading posts lately.
I`ve read and searched but I still haven`t found an answer to this question. Is there is a complete kit or package, out there somewhere,to install a belt driven vacuum pump on a 4th gen Camaro? I think I`d go with a Moroso 3 vane, but the brackets are the big issue. What does everone do? Make their own? The 427 I have makes a lot of back pressure. Right now I use valve cover fittings plumbed with AN fittings/braided hose to a catch can/breather setup. Dry sumps are real expensive, and I don`t think I need one even though they do create vacuum. I know that GM introduced a great dry sump on the new LS7. That would be the way to go, but like I said $$$. I think the wet sump oil system that GM designed is just fine for drag racing. I`d just like to add a vacuum pump system to what I have so I can get better ring seal. If anyone has any info they would like to share, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Old 11-29-2005, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

here you go. not a bad price. they are supposed to have a F-body version

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=vacuum+pump
Old 11-29-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically, you just have to make your own brackets. I have an Aerospace pump, and mounted it where my A/C compressor was. I also used an Aerospace mandrel drive on the front of my ATI balancer to drive the pump. Best thing to do is buy the pump, fab up some brackets, then buy the rest of the stuff. I would recommend the Moroso pumps though. They are much easier to service.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

Default Back to vacuum pumps

Man, that was what I thought, but was afraid to write. No kits available. It seems to me that an aftermarket company would want to jump all over this one. Oh well, back to the shop, I know what I`ll be doing this Winter! I just love "Hotrodin". I`m planning on doing a lot of work to the car anyway so what the heck, what`s a bracket or two. I was just hoping for a short cut.
Thanks for the info.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:13 PM
10 Second Club

Default Back to vacuum pumps

383ss,
I didn`t see your reply before I wrote my last one. I`ll give them a call and get back with everyone after I talk to them.
Thanks
Old 11-29-2005, 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rumble
383ss,
I didn`t see your reply before I wrote my last one. I`ll give them a call and get back with everyone after I talk to them.
Thanks
sorry it took me 7 minutes to respond. maybe I should do some work
Old 11-29-2005, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Ok,
I called A&A Corvette in Calif. and spoke to Charlie. They are really busy, but he took the time to fill me in on everything they know right now. He said he thinks the same set up will work on an F-body, "IF", the idler pulley spacing is the same from the block, cylinder head, etc.he said they would provide any spacers nessessary. This is a cool set up because you really don`t have to delete anything like air conditioning. The plumbing should be doable. The intake side of the vac pump can be plumbed from either the valve covers or the center valley cover like that found on the LS6. I`ve got a LS6 valley cover so I`ll use that. It seems to be a pretty straight foward system. Charlie and I will comunicate more when our schedules clear up in about a week. I don`t think they have done an actual install on an F-body but I`d like to try it.
I`ll let you know more as I find stuff out.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:58 PM
laz
Teching In

I have not had any luck on using that set up on a driver as the pump ussually locks up .I have run one on a 434 small block and i only ran the belt on the track and you need a catch tank too. I wanna see how long they will last before i spend 800 or more dollars on one .
Old 11-29-2005, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

cool, thanks for the update.

Iaz - why would the pump lock up because its on the drivers side?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

laz,
Please forgive me, as I didn`t go into all the details that Charlie and I talked about. Actually the subject of catch cans, both before and after, the vacuum pump were talked about over the phone. The thing is everyone out there has different needs for their own set ups. I agree with you, I think it`s tougher to set something up that will live on the street. Eventhough I run at track I`d like it to be street tough. I`m not so concerned with the weight
of another catch can, as I am with durability. I`d never thought about a pre catch can to keep the pump clean, that was Charlie`s idea.
I like the idea of using a Moroso Vac pump because "I think" they are easier to service and rebuild. What I really want to find out is, if I can use A&A`s brackets with a Moroso vac pump, or if that is even worth the trouble. Maybe one of the three pumps they offer is even better, we didn`t have time to talk about everything I had questions about. All this will be answered in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for the input.