Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Squeaking ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Squeaking ???

Here's the situation, the motor is has less than 250 miles on it. I had it at the track a few weeks ago and it started to tick in the staging lane. Sounded like a loose rocker. I pulled the car into my buddies trailer and pulled the valve covers and the found nothing wrong. I put the covers on and fired the car and it didn't tick and sounded fine. I pulled the car out of the trailer and went to move it and the ticking came back. I called it a night and went to drive it home. It continued to tick so I had him trailer me home. I pulled all the rockers and checked the push rods and all looked fine. I put it all back together and I don't have the ticking sound any more but I get this pulsating squeaking sound like a bad pulley tensioner or something. Like squeak-squeak-squeak and so on. I pulled the belts and the sound is still there. The oil pressure is good. It was around 50psi when I started it. The squeaking sound comes once the car is started for a few seconds (say 5-10) but doesn't go away. I first thought the ticking was due to the Comp-R lifters or a bent push rod, now I am clueless as to the problem. I pulled the dip stick and didn't see any metal shavings. I will drain the oil and check it soon as I get a chance. Anyone experience anything like this before???
Old 12-05-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

I'm wondering if there is a header leak or loose or something like that. I've gotten what seems like a valve tick and I had a loose header bolt. The other thing it might be is a noisy injector. Mine tick more than stock.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Restricted User

The header bolts are all tight. The ticking I am not so worried about the squeaking I am...
Old 12-05-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
The header bolts are all tight. The ticking I am not so worried about the squeaking I am...
I was thinking if a header was loose you could be getting squeaking with engine rock from that... Maybe a loose motor mount? If it's coming from the front of the engine with the belts off and it's inside, I'd guess oil pump. Up front I would guess the front seal is new and tight. When I changed my cam and installed a new seal up front and turned mine over by hand I got a squeak for a couple of weeks. Just trying t give you some ideas from my experience.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:08 PM
10 Second Club

My loud squeaking sound turned out to be two rod bearings. It had a ticking sound that turned into a nice loud knock. Hopefully your luck isn't the same. I'm sure you will find out when you drain the oil.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Are you still on the stock, original water pump, or have you pinpointed the squeak to the valvetrain area??
Old 12-05-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

had a buddy that developed a squeak-squeak-squeak that stayed with the belts on/off, tightening the headers...didn't matter what he tried, it wouldn't go away. good oil pressure. he remembered developing a tick after taking it to 6400 with stock 80K springs, which turned into this squeak. tore it down to see if we could find the source...and we did. he lofted a lifter causing it to shred the hardening on the roller and flat spotting it.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Restricted User

I have a feeling I will be looking in the lifter area. All my bearing were coated and I have an aftermarket oil pump. Oil pressure is good.