Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pushrod length

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb pushrod length

I want to put a new cam in my internally stock 99 Z-28. Is there any other way to figure out you pushrod legth without taking it all apart and using a pushrod measuring tool? I want to do the instal myself and would like to order the cam, springs, pushrods and rockers all from COMP. When I called the COMP tech line, the guy told me there is no other way to figure out the length. If I understand everything right, COMP should be able to tell me exactly what I need as long as my motor is stock right? Anything would be appriciated.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:28 AM
Teching In

no one ????
Old 12-13-2005, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Unless you actually measure it, you are making an educated guess at best. A push rod length checker is about $20. Do yourself a favor and get one. Also check out the cam guide sticky for more info on how to set up your valve train for a new cam.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ken13400
I want to put a new cam in my internally stock 99 Z-28. Is there any other way to figure out you pushrod legth without taking it all apart and using a pushrod measuring tool? I want to do the instal myself and would like to order the cam, springs, pushrods and rockers all from COMP. When I called the COMP tech line, the guy told me there is no other way to figure out the length. If I understand everything right, COMP should be able to tell me exactly what I need as long as my motor is stock right? Anything would be appriciated.
You will need two things patience and a push rod checking kit. It's not to tough to pull off coil packs and valve cover from drivers side. I wiped out a set of lifters and finished off my cam bearings with a 0.05" too long push rod. I think you can physically measure preload and tell. We used an adjustable PR, light spring...pumped the cyl with air to hold up valve. Then a dial indicator gave us measurements.
Don't rush it. 7.4 should be okay with all stock replacement...I needed 7.35.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Staging Lane

Don't guess, I am with TAQuickness

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Unless you actually measure it, you are making an educated guess at best. A push rod length checker is about $20. Do yourself a favor and get one. Also check out the cam guide sticky for more info on how to set up your valve train for a new cam.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Teching In

thanks guys. I'll get the pushrod length checker.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ken13400
thanks guys. I'll get the pushrod length checker.
Man i'm glad to hear that. Whether or not my PRs being too long had anything to do with wiping out/finishing off my cam bearings, better to be sure. There is a "difference method" (what I call it) ie. marking high/low positions of the valve train...search on preload.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can also do it by measuring the base circle on the cam and doing a little math,thats the way i do it.