Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Crank pulley inner tab broke off.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Crank pulley inner tab broke off.....

The tab on the inner edge of the pulley where you mount the pullley puller broke off and the pulley is still on the crank snout. We can see about 1 1/4" has been pulled out already but without the missing tab have no way to remove the pulley? Any ideas on how to reomve it the rest of the way? Also, what pulley should I replace it with? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picture? Can't really undertsand what you're looking at.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand what you are talking about. In that case I am not sure how you would remove the pulley. Perhaps spray it with liquid wrench and do some LIGHT tapping and prying, especially since you already go it out that much, there shouldn't be too much more to go. One thing you could try is to heat the pulley with a torch and then try to pull it off. Be VERY careful though, you dont want to get the crank too hot and end up melting the front seal, unless you plan on replacing it.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you could try putting the puller on the outside of the pulley, or just using the two remaining tabs.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 67Ranger
you could try putting the puller on the outside of the pulley, or just using the two remaining tabs.
I just rented the larger puller from autozone and will be trying to get it off using the outer edge of the pulley.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stock 04
I just rented the larger puller from autozone and will be trying to get it off using the outer edge of the pulley.
Just tried the outer edge and it broke that off too. Any other ideas?
Old 12-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

wow I cant believe it broke. If the bigger pulley puller broke it too id try the liquid wrench and lightly pry it out I used a jack handle with towel around it and lightly worked it out and it came out but it requires patience and BECAREFUL!
Old 12-26-2005, 06:43 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock 04
Just tried the outer edge and it broke that off too. Any other ideas?
I knew you were going to say that. You might be able to weld a tab on, but I am not sure that it is going to be strong enough for the bite that you need to get that thing off. I have a spare stock crank pulley If you need one for when you do get it off.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't try prying it off, you may end up damaging something else. Do you have a photo of the current condition? It sounds like it was coming off and then stopped. What are you centering the puller on, an old bolt? Are you sure the damper is not hitting the old bolt and can't come out any further?

With it off 1-1/4", it must almost be off or am I misundertanding?
Old 12-26-2005, 07:24 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Well the bolt should already be out though. He broke and inner tab right next to where the bolt slides in. there are 3 on there that are at a slight angle and you cant pull with 2 of them only.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just measured an old damper off of a Vette and the engagement length is approximately 1-1/4" on the inside surface. I don't understand if he only has a little bit if engagement left how it can develop enough resistance to break. Something just doesn't sound right.

If the bolt is out, what is he bearing against with the puller? He must have something in the center, and if it interferes with movement of the pulley, that would do it.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:21 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Out meaning, un done and just a few threads in...Sorry i didn't clarify. I knew what I meant though. I think?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Impact hammer....thats how I got mine off using the large 3 prong pulley puller as well, use the 6 inch size. Also, make sure that the old bolt isn't blocking the balancer from coming off.

Good Luck,
Adrian
Old 12-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

I used a pulley with just two arms where the arms can be reversed to pull from inside the outer edge of the pulley and it cam off fine, put flat washer inside the center of pulley where the bolt cam out to center puller, when installing sprayed end of crank with liquid wrench, used 6inch piece of 2x4 and smacked until I could get enough thread to use bolt to push it on.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:45 AM
TECH Junkie

you sure it isnt binded somehow? you shouldn't be breaking all that stuff, I've been in similar predicaments before but the pulley was not 100% straight,, Make sure you grease that bad boy up on the inside you should still be able to use the outer edge to pull it off and it should not be that bad if its straight and not binded. I hate to say this but maybe you should lube up the crank snout and inside of pulley with some lithium type grease push it back on via bolt a little and lube the other half of the crank snout, should give you a nice smooth surface that is lubbed.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:43 AM
Staging Lane

If you don't value the crank and bearing in the car just air hammer it off. Otherwise, take a medium size 3 jaw puller, and run a piece of all thread into the crank. Doesn't necessarily have to screw in, but large enough to where the 3 jaw can push against it. Then just slowly work the pulley off grabbing it by the "legs" that go from the center to the outside. The alternative would be like a VW power steering puller that is a 2 jaw? Snap on has one that I have used for something similar to this.

Your biggest problem is why is it binding. Usually it is the bolt you have in the crank, all thread will solve this.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about flipping the jaws on the three jaw puller and seeing if theyll grab the i/d of the outer portion of the pulley. Depending on the shape of the jaws teeth it might just pull away from the edge though, buut worth a shot. People use a smaller version of this to remove axle bearings.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
How about flipping the jaws on the three jaw puller and seeing if theyll grab the i/d of the outer portion of the pulley. Depending on the shape of the jaws teeth it might just pull away from the edge though, buut worth a shot. People use a smaller version of this to remove axle bearings.
That is what I was thinking...

...as mentioned above are you sure something is not binding it. It should not be that hard. I have pulled over 20 now and never had an issue...

Good Luck
Old 12-27-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Well I know for a fact that when i went to take mine off, it was nearly impossible, even the puller broke before anything gave way. I had to get a new puller, and then use an impact hammer to get that **** off, it was rediculous...

Adrian
Old 12-28-2005, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Haans249
Well I know for a fact that when i went to take mine off, it was nearly impossible, even the puller broke before anything gave way. I had to get a new puller, and then use an impact hammer to get that **** off, it was rediculous...

Adrian
Thats how mine was on there. and no matter what I tried it wouldn't come off. Since I couldn't get it off and neither could my friend and this car is my dailly driver I just ended up taking it over to Speed Inc. Good thing I have this week off work and can be without it for a couple of days.

Quick Reply: HELP! Crank pulley inner tab broke off.....