Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter surprise????

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it has more to do with the overall design of the lifter itself. From what I can tell the NE type exposes more of the "open area" of the lifter to the oil galley which causes oil to be dumped out the bottom of the bore.
Does that make better sense?
Old 01-12-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, that's what I figured.

I still think it is worthwhile checking the roller diameter, since there is a standard that cams are designed to.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Teutonic Speedracer
My Failure:

Parts:

Original Lifters (stock non-encapsulated), 918 Springs, Ti Retainers, 216/220 .525”/.532” cam, CC hardened pushrods, 6660rpm limit. Lifters have 32k miles (15k w/cam/springs, 4k track miles).

Background:

Noticed one small pieces of metal on drain plug after Summit Point track weekend. Took valve covers off, checked valvetrain (rockers, springs, etc.). Everything looked fine. Attended another track weekend at Watkins Glen (~150 roadrace miles).—Car performed fine. Noticed a clicking/tapping sound when taking car off trailer and pulling in garage. I then had my buddy listen to the car while idling. He thought it sounded like a lifter on #X cylinder. We then pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked the motor over a few times, he definitely leaned towards the same cylinder. After taking the heads off, I found ONE lifter to have a bunch of flat spots on it like it had been skipping, and some rough material on the edge of the wheel. That cam lobe on the cam was also missing a decent amount of material (the cam was 5X worse than the lifter). The plastic lifter tray for that pair of lifters was slightly deformed enough to allow the lifter to rotate ~10-15degrees and allow the lifter to be very loose in the tray. A few other lifter trays showed a bit of wear, but nothing significant.

Possible causes:

I’ve talked over the situation about my lifter with my mechanic/racer/engineer buddy. He came up with a few ideas for failure:

1. Lifter bore holes in block are slightly off (not drilled at the proper angle from the factory)
2. Cam lobe failure caused the lifter to fail.
3. Weak valve spring allowed the lifter to skip on the cam for a while doing damage to both the lifter and the cam.
4. Plastic lifter trays deformed and allowed the lifter to rotate ~10 degrees on the cam lobe.
5. Combination of all of the above.

Upgrades:

I’ve done the following in order to help the situation and prevent it from happening again:

1. New Comp OEM (850-16) Lifters. (supposedly similar to stock, but better, encapsulated)
2. LS2 Lifter Trays. Seem a bit beefier than the LS1’s. (need (4) at about $7/piece)
3. ¼” holes drilled in lifter trays to allow oil to be relieved at high rpm.
4. New 918 Springs (this may have been a reason for failure….I’ve yet to get my springs checked to see if they were in spec, the one that failed in particular.
5. LS6 Lightweight Valves (reduce load on valvetrain)
Check out this thread...2001 had problems with some of the lifter trays..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/436165-ls2-lifter-tray.html
Old 01-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sledgehammer
Check out this thread...2001 had problems with some of the lifter trays..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436165
Yup...that's my problem. Mine was an 01 with "10" on that bad tray!
Old 01-23-2006, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

Mine is an 00 and has no numbers on it at all. Only one lifter turned an took it and the cam out.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:14 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe this explains why I have always had great oil pressure from day one. I have encapsulated lifters and since the car had 5.7 miles on it, it has always gotten 35-40 psi of oil pressure at idle and steadily increases as the rpms rise.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:18 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could this be a explanation why some cams perform better and dyno a lil better than others, depending on vehicles?
Old 04-21-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99sprayjunkie
The two 99 motors Ive torn down each had the fully encapsulated type,maybe they were first,non-encapsulated second-seems to be the trend.
I know this thread is a little old, but my 99 had fully encapsulated as well.

Quick Reply: Lifter surprise????