Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DART vs ETP vs AFR

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 11:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JZ,

I encourage you to read what I write about this stuff and apply it to what is in front of you as well... I'm glad you got the message of me picking on you. I did that on purpose. Actually I'd like to see 36" or 45" flow on what you have, and do it up to .700-.800" lift... even if you don't run the cam that high. Hell do the same thing on those Meaux heads you have. (especially if they are exactly like they came from Larry)

I don't mean to twist your words, so sorry about that.

As a engine builder I have to care how things are made, that's my job. In the end I do care about the HP and 1/4 mile times, and that's why I care what goes into the design and manufacture of the parts.

FWIW I just got the Dart car running today. Can't drive it up here, hell it was basically freezing rain on the shake down drive, gotta re-adjust the rockers change the oil out and get some sort of a tune in this thing before we get it to a dyno down in NJ.

Bret
Old 01-18-2006, 01:06 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am unlucky when it comes to some testing.
For whatever reason we lack a quality head machine shop in my area.
We have plenty of shops but quality is the issue.
I have never been a huge flow number fan, but for many of us that is a common tool we use to compair heads. Hell if we were going to get techinal why dosen't anyone create their heads with a intake on? There is going to be a intake when we use the heads so why not test with a intake in place to verify the head is flowing "the best" through the intake. I know I dont want a 330 CFM head that flows 277 when a 90mm intake is added. We have the same debate here and there with exhaust numbers.
Some flow with no pipe, some use a 2 1/8 pipe that is straight and only 10" long, and some used a curved pipe. WHY in the **** do I care what a 2 1/8" pipe that is perfectially straight and only 10" long will do? No way in hell will I ever see anything close on my car, and same goes for no pipe. I believe AFR made their exhaust port with that thinking. Get a exhaust port to flow using a pipe similar to your top of the line LSx header.
Who cares if the exhaust flows 9 zillion on a 10" straight pipe, if it flows like a ants *** using a curved pipe I dont want it.

I have no problem with what Dart is doing, I only encourage them to test the waters on a ported version of their heads.

I myself uses what works and switch vendors with time.
I was a Absolute speed fan, then a TEA fan, for a breif minute or 2 a AFR fan, and now am a ETP fan. I still feel TEA and AFR make very good quality products, just feel like ETP took a steep ahead. I like the little things, such as the 11* design, The extra P/V clearence. The options from 215-265, plus LS7 and C5R heads. The custom compression ratio's that cam be had w/o milling the heads. To me the little things are what seperate the ETP's from the other heads. Many head companies make a product that makes good power, but not one has the options you can get with ETP.
My time will come when there is a set of darts on my car, first I need to get the trans to hold.
Maybe I can get my local guy to flow my heads at something other then 28*.
As far as the meaux heads go, your more then welcome to check them out.
I have noone seriously interested, I will send them to you if you want to play with them a bit.
Let me know and their all your's until I sell them or until your finish playing with my HEAD s.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:27 AM
Banned

JZ,

I actually have a few sets of Larry Meaux heads in the shop, but no LS6 heads.

I'd like to see them and talk to Larry about them, I'd even hold on to them and ship them out with whatever someone needed on them for you if you want too.

FWIW, I like the ETP design... but I'm one of those guys that is really picky about WHO does my head porting.

Bret
Old 01-18-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

BTW JZsTA, Darts were flown on 28* water and advertised by Dart as such:
(JUST fyi)
http://www.dartheads.com/manager/uploads/LS1Flyer.pdf
Old 01-18-2006, 02:03 AM
Banned

How do you think I know about them?

I flow heads much higher and then convert those numbers back to 28" works well for me.

Bret
Old 01-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
JZ,

I actually have a few sets of Larry Meaux heads in the shop, but no LS6 heads.

I'd like to see them and talk to Larry about them, I'd even hold on to them and ship them out with whatever someone needed on them for you if you want too.

FWIW, I like the ETP design... but I'm one of those guys that is really picky about WHO does my head porting.

Bret

PM me your address. I am picky about who does my porting but only to the point where the head makes power. I see different oponions and if one guy likes a different port design then the other but both styles make very good power then great for both porters. That is why I wouldn't hesitate to buy from ETP, TEA, AFR, or PRC. I have used at least 1 head on a car from each company that has made impressive power.
The PRC head and TEA head surprised me for how low the cost was.
I guess its the same with camshafts.
We have the juggernaut, T rex, G5X2/3/4, MS3, etc etc etc.
All head desigened to make top power on stock heads.
All designs are different but they all make power.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

We just did the first set of Darts, installed and dyno'd. See the details:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...4&page=1&pp=20

Dyno sheet, Heads the only change:
http://homepage.mac.com/crash1/.Pict...7484A511DA.jpg

Uncorrected numbers:
372 rwhp without new heads
413 rwhp with hand finished dart heads installed

Last edited by bob@thetuningschool.com; 01-18-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:14 PM
Banned

Hey bob welcome to the site.
Where are you guys at in Fla?
Also thanke for posting the results however I would much rather see HP numbers on out of the box darts. They claim how good their out of the box heads are and I hope to start seeing examples soon.
Also a few questions.
What is your car?
A M6 C5 or a A4??? I assume a M6
What gasket size was used?
Old 01-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Banned

I am gonna throw the correct numbers on here since that is what most of us go by.

Correct numbers from BOB's car.....
Before install 358.3 rwhp 340.6 rwtq corrected

Dart stage 3 ls1 heads 404.1 rwhp 376.8 rwtq corrected
This is with a 220/226 cam with 568 lift (It dosen't list the intake and exhaust lift seperately it just says 568)
Old 01-18-2006, 01:30 PM
FormerVendor

Yeah sorry I forgot to post them corrected as well. They still looked like a good improvement corrected, for only a heads swap. The car actually belongs to a customer in texas, it's a 98 C5 M6. We had them use a 6.0L Fel pro stock thickness gasket, and the chamber size was 62CC. I believe the lift was .568 on both I and E. I suspect with a bigger cam they would do much better, as they aren't really being utilized to their potential currently.

I also agree, it will be nice to see some out of the box results. I don't know if they will do quite as well, as we did have to clean up some of the ports to make them flow like we wanted. But, it will be nice to see still.

Also thanks for the welcoming, we are located just North of Tampa in Hudson. I have to be careful about posting too much as I don't want to upset any of the sponsors. We sponsor the other forums (Corvetteforum and LS1GTO.com) but are considering the LS1tech board.

Thanks!
Bob
Old 01-18-2006, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Numbers look good for a small cam
What size chamber is on his Dart heads?
What size head gasket did he use?
Old 01-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob@PM-FL
Yeah sorry I forgot to post them corrected as well. They still looked like a good improvement corrected, for only a heads swap. The car actually belongs to a customer in texas, it's a 98 C5 M6. We had them use a 6.0L Fel pro stock thickness gasket, and the chamber size was 62CC. I believe the lift was .568 on both I and E. I suspect with a bigger cam they would do much better, as they aren't really being utilized to their potential currently.

I also agree, it will be nice to see some out of the box results. I don't know if they will do quite as well, as we did have to clean up some of the ports to make them flow like we wanted. But, it will be nice to see still.

Also thanks for the welcoming, we are located just North of Tampa in Hudson. I have to be careful about posting too much as I don't want to upset any of the sponsors. We sponsor the other forums (Corvetteforum and LS1GTO.com) but are considering the LS1tech board.

Thanks!
Bob

Might not be a bad idea, we lack Fla sponsor's here and inless CnC sponsors this site and I dont believe they do you would be the only Fla head porter sponsor.
Very nice gains with just a head swap, compression go up about 3/4's of a point which I am sure helped as well.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOT-MEE
A bigger cam is in the works
I have attached the flow sheets and the dyno
Who did the hand finishing?
What is the intake cc after the hand finishing?