Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hype surrounding ET Performance heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006 | 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I took that thread with a grain of salt basically because the final numbers were not remotely realistic on a Mustang Dyno with his mods. However, when I called ETP to talk about there heads and asked what people were making they were quick to point out the thread with the crazy numbers. On another note Andy from A and A has has put out some nice numbers with there heads and his numbers seem in line with how they should perform.
Old 01-24-2006 | 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by beardWS6
I also read thaty dyno eats 10%. Which would give him 440-450 already. Add the extra`s like UD pulley etc would even be better. I understand on wanting more info. Just sounds like a bashing thread. Lets wait and see! I will let you know something in acouple weeks with mine.
I agree here, these numbers are already on par with AFR's and he could of gained more by upping the compression. That's the nice thing about the ETP heads, he could be running 59cc without flycutting or even 57 cc with that cam. You wouldn't be able to do that with AFR's.
Old 01-24-2006 | 09:08 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

man, this thread blew the **** up. i totally see where patrick is comming from, however i do not think that he meant the post to be detrimental toward ETP or W2W. and no where did patrick state that AFR heads were superior. funny how some people infer what they want to believe. E.T makes a great head, nobody can deny that, and with there almost limitless options ; port volumes, valve and spring selection, valve angle, rockers, ect) they have a set that will fit just about everybody.
Old 01-24-2006 | 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Not trying to jump on any bandwagon, don't have time to read all replies in this thread, and I know flow #'s aren't everything. So don't flame me. But the actual flow numbers posted for the ETP's are pretty much the same as my TEA 6.0L's. Actually, my TEA's flow almost 20cfm more on the exhaust. And the LS7's are even better than that. Show me some results with some ETP's on a big stroker, see if they take it to the next level like people have been expecting and then I'll form a real opinion.
Old 01-24-2006 | 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Talk about blind faith, I understand the mods like to stick together, but if you honestly think that it was an innocently "informational" post, re-read the way its worded, note the use of "hype" in the title, and the overall tone of it and his subsequent responses.

Point is, if a non-moderator had posted this, it would have been locked a LONG time ago.

Definition of hype:
1) Something deliberately misleading; a deception
2) Exaggerated or extravagant claims made especially in advertising or promotional material

Last edited by SPANKY LS1; 01-24-2006 at 09:25 PM.
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
Not trying to jump on any bandwagon, don't have time to read all replies in this thread, and I know flow #'s aren't everything. So don't flame me. But the actual flow numbers posted for the ETP's are pretty much the same as my TEA 6.0L's. Actually, my TEA's flow almost 20cfm more on the exhaust. And the LS7's are even better than that. Show me some results with some ETP's on a big stroker, see if they take it to the next level like people have been expecting and then I'll form a real opinion.
thanks for the laugh
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
Hasn't "bandwagoning" been a no-no for a LONG time now? If I (or any other non-moderator) posted this, it would be locked, we would be called "bandwagoners" and "bashers" (believe me, I speak from first hand experience) Posting this is NO DIFFERENT than posting links to several *edited*-headed cars that dropped valve seats and destroyed engines (that I was loudly and aggressively attacked and threatened with bans/suspensions if I continued to do so).

Oh well. Shawn
Kinda reminds me of the old "Patriot vs. Absolute Speed" days!! I think that with the addition of the dart heads and the low cost 243 heads now, it is only going to get nastier with income tax money season upon us
Old 01-24-2006 | 09:20 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
man, this thread blew the **** up. i totally see where patrick is comming from, however i do not think that he meant the post to be detrimental toward ETP or W2W. and no where did patrick state that AFR heads were superior. funny how some people infer what they want to believe. E.T makes a great head, nobody can deny that, and with there almost limitless options ; port volumes, valve and spring selection, valve angle, rockers, ect) they have a set that will fit just about everybody.
Inferences are being made by people who raise an eyebrow as to why a moderator feels the need to start a new thread to show what another thread already shows. I read the other thread when it was first posted and thought to myself "damn!". But I did not need someone to go and repost the info for the sake of my salvation.
Perhaps I read too much into things, but the motivation behind this thread aside (we've already established that this is merely an FYI type informational thread), it does come across, like it or not, as an editorial statement which implicates a sponsor's products not by the subject matter, but by the manner in which said subject manner is presented to us (i.e. look what the cat dragged in).
Old 01-24-2006 | 09:25 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by gomer
Kinda reminds me of the old "Patriot vs. Absolute Speed" days!! I think that with the addition of the dart heads and the low cost 243 heads now, it is only going to get nastier with income tax money season upon us
dont forget the ever popular "PP vs TEA" threads.

at any rate. im putting this one to bed patrick.
Old 01-24-2006 | 10:43 PM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Before this thread is closed, let me finish by stating why I posted in the internal section in the first place.

The original thread by DTC got 122 replies at over 7800 views. That's probably a record for the dyno section.

However, after DTC redynoes and posts up the real numbers, there were a total of 15 posts and 41 views after a full day. Basically, the thread was going to die a sure death and most people would have never known the truth. It was akin to somebody posting an apology on page 72 of the newspaper. That 479/429 dyno number was front page news, but the retraction got hardly any attention at all.

Over the past 3 months, there's been a tremendous buzz in the air about ET Performance heads. Much of it justified (A&A dyno numbers), but many people who were touting the superiority of the ETP heads would link to the DTC dyno. Basically, many would post a link in the Internal Section to the DTC dyno thread to show people how great the ET heads were. They were basically misleading people with that information. Hype and bandwagoning ensued. As a moderator, I felt compelled to bring this error to the attention of the largest group of enthusiasts shopping for heads, the ones in the Internal Section. As I stated before the Internal Section gets over 10 times the traffic of the dyno section. I thought more than 10% of the board needed to know about the dyno re-test. It wasn't to discredit DTC ETP or W2W (dang that's a lot of initials). It was purely to inform and to set the record straight. The fact that others brought AFR and other head manufacturers into the thread was not my doing so those who did, look in the mirror. I am just the messenger. Peace out.

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 LME forged 416, Greg Good ported TFS 255 LS3 heads, 222/242 .629"/.604" 121LSA Pat G blower cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers, ESC Novi 1500 Supercharger w/8 rib direct drive conversion, 747rwhp/709rwtq on 93 octane, 801rwhp/735rwtq on race fuel, 10.1 @ 147.25mph 1/4 mile, 174.7mph Half Mile.
2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger, TSP LT headers, Pat G tuned, 667rwhp, 662rwtq, 191mph TX Mile.
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L, A6, AFR 230v2 heads. 506rwhp/442rwtq. 11.413 @ 121.29mph 1/4 mile, 168.7mph TX Mile
2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE, 183.092 TX Mile
2022 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L A10 S&B CAI, Corsa catback.
2023 Corvette 3LT Z51 soon to be modified.
Custom LSX tuning in person or via email press here.

Old 01-25-2006 | 09:54 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I think the guys ragging on Patrick for posting this thread are the ones that have the agenda. I didn't see anything wrong with the post, it simply got information out there in the forum that discusses heads the most. I rarely, if almost never, even visit the dynojet forum, because dyno racing sucks. I wouldn't have seen the thread in the dyno forum, and I'll bet several others wouldn't have either.

I also don't see this as a bash on ET heads at all. In fact, I'd still slap a set of those heads on any car I own.

Tony