Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hype surrounding ET Performance heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Posted by Patrick G

It's not BS, it's called clarification. The point of the thread is to educate the consumer that the 479rwhp Mustang dyno number was false. The customer dynos 373rwhp/350rwtq with cam and stock heads on a Mustang dyno. Then he adds ETP 215 heads, changes to an Ed Curtis cam, ports his throttle body and re-dynoes 402/369. A solid gain, but not the stuff legends are made of. Like I said, based on the flow numbers, the ET heads look promising, but let's bridle our enthusiasm a little until more dyno and track numbers are out.

Personally this thread is BS. Being a MODERATOR, you should have more class than this to post something up like this.

Dennis had stopped by today and talked with us as just a concern to see what we thought of the whole thing. So yes, are we aware of what has happened in his case.

Posted by Paulz2820

nah i agree with patrick. people need to know that car didn't make 490RWHP with ET heads. "corrupted files" my ***, its called propaganda and they fooled people by saying there heads made 490 when in reality it was 402RWHP! i would be so pissed if i just spent 3 grand on a set of heads comparable to dare i say $1500 patriots. regardless people need to know the claims orginally made by DTC and ET Performance were false who cares if it was because of a computer glich? I as a consumer deserve to know!!

We have dyno tests that we had never posted, we would have thrown those out all over the boards at first, but we did not. As far as ET or W2W going out and making a "ringer" to throw out huge dyno numbers is out of the question. Don't you think that he would have put down better numbers when he went back?

Posted by RyanJ
That's pretty harsh words there. Implying that ETP and/or W2W knowlingly advertised false numbers for whatever reason? ETP and W2W have neen around for a long time with ZERO complaints from customers (one of which would be GM).

Thank you, at least someone has a clear head.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FAST FREDDY
well said, there is more to heads than just flow...................like velocity is important too, etc
blah.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Patrick G
Shawn and others...guys...does any of my information seem self serving? Although I have AFR heads on my car currently, I am a huge fan of anything that makes my car go faster. That's the reason I've watched these new head threads (ETP, PP, PRC, Dart, AFR, GMPP, Edelbrock) with much enthusiasm. I'm anxious to see what my next mod is going to be. Believe me, I am loyal to horsepower, PERIOD. The intent of this thread was not a bash on ET Performance or their products in any way. The intent was to set the record straight in the appropriate forum that gets the most traffic regarding cylinder head selection and results. This is the right section to do this. I anxiously await the big numbers that ET Heads are bound to put out. You never know what brand I'll be running next year.
Whatever man. If that was the case how come the thread only called out ET? How come you didn't call out Ed Curtis for using a 'hyped' cam? Or the people who tuned it? Or the guy who ported the throttle body? You singled out ET and I think you did it in an attempt to discredit their product. You're smart enough to know that quite a few people are going to see this thread and automatically write off the ET threads without even reading about what happened. How lame is that.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RyanJ
That's pretty harsh words there. Implying that ETP and/or W2W knowlingly advertised false numbers for whatever reason? ETP and W2W have neen around for a long time with ZERO complaints from customers (one of which would be GM).
I don't think he was implying they knowingly falsified information for the sake of sales. W2W is a reputable company with a vested interest in the Gen III/IV market. I simply read it as take the one dyno run for what it is; one dyno run. And we need to wait for more more numbers to pour in to establish some consistency before passing judgement; good or bad.

I think it's a honest mistake where the manufacturer of a new product was eager to show some real world results to the community at large and generate interest in their product. No one can fault them for that, but looking back maybe they jumped the gun a bit and should have waited for similar results to surface to back up the claims. Even though I currently run the AFR 225, I'm still curious to see some results of the ETP heads on large strokers.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I should start a new thread about someone with AFR heads and a 232 cam that only made 42x rwhp just to inform the masses.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:24 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess when Andy's @ A & A all motor C6 made over 500rwhp with his ET heads the dyno had a corrupt file also. What about the other C5 he did that was 470-480rwhp?
Phil
Old 01-24-2006, 04:27 PM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TroubledWine3
You are wrong in your assumption. You are comparing his 402rwhp/369rwtq UPDATED number with his OLD baseline(which, I am guessing, was on W2W's dyno before they fixed the "corrupt files") Therefore he gained a LOT more than 29 and 19.
What makes you think I'm wrong in my assumption? DTC had a corrupt file when he dynoed the ETP/EDC combo. At no time did DTC say that his previous dyno numbers with stock heads were corrupt. W2W is at the top of the food chain when it comes to quality of products and service. They are above reproach when it comes to being above-board. We can forgive them for ONE flawed dyno run. I just would hate to see any one make a buying decision based on that inaccurate information.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kumar75150
I guess I should start a new thread about someone with AFR heads and a 232 cam that only made 42x rwhp just to inform the masses.
Or what about a guy locally who's AFR 205 car made 400 even with a 230 @ .050 cam and every bolt-on. How come he didn't make 470? Maybe the heads were over-hyped.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:29 PM
10 Second Club

Wow. This is turning into a flamefest reaaal fast.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:31 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Patrick, you're usually very rational. I don't know why you posted this thread.
The dyno thread is there for all of us to see. This thread's intent seemed very editorial in nature (the title in itself uses the word "hype"), despite the tech info involved.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Wow. This is turning into a flamefest reaaal fast.
That happens when people make rediculous threads like this. You can only spout off so much BS before you're going to get called on it.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Patrick, you're usually very rational. I don't know why you posted this thread.
The dyno thread is there for all of us to see. This thread's intent seemed very editorial in nature, despite the tech info involved.
well said

i dont own either set of heads
Old 01-24-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

When ET gets my 245`s to G-Force, i will post the dyno graph and dyno numbers for everyone to see. Then we will see whats up! Get them to G-Force for me ET and we will shut this **** up!lol. My little 408 is coming together!

I could have bought any set of heads out there for my set-up. I trust Ben and G-Force. They love these heads and with everything ET has done I want a set. Say what you want, these heads flow. But NO MATTER how good the heads flow, if you don`t have everything to go with it. It doesn`t matter. I`ve got a good feeling about the numbers my car is going to put out. Wait and See.

Last edited by beardWS6; 01-24-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Posting on this thread shows my lack of judgement. Here goes anyway.

First, Patrick's posts are generally well thought out and insightful.

Second, I don't think one dyno of one head has caused the stampede to ET heads.

Third, it is reasonable to think ET would get a head right, since they were top line porters before making their own heads.

Fourth, ET heads fit in a top line of heads which would include the C5R, AFR, CNC Dart, and a CNC World, although I don't think World will make that directly.

That the ET heads are 11 deg probably gives them an advantage. The combustion chambers certainly look like a leading edge design (something about making power there). However, racing rules will make an 11 deg head not an option for some. Others will find availablity and price point them elsewhere. And the C5R/LS7 ports are probably much better than any cathedral port head, ET or otherwise.

The only ET heads in direct competition with AFR, Dart, and ported LS6 and 5.3 heads are their 215 and 225 models. The rest fit a different segment no well served otherwise.

Net, ET heads are probably the highest performance unrestricted LS1 heads for most applications. And maybe a little over-hyped also.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Alright, let's end this. ETP can send me a set of their 225 cc heads similar to the AFR 225's (already installed on my LS2 402) and I will test them back to back on a dyno for a true comparison.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Alright, let's end this. ETP can send me a set of their 225 cc heads similar to the AFR 225's (already installed on my LS2 402) and I will test them back to back on a dyno for a true comparison.
what did ur car make?
Old 01-24-2006, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick G
441 rwhp is impressive for an automatic, but let's remember, those heads went on a 364ci LS2 block and with 58cc combustion chambers, the static compression would certainly exceed 12.0 to 1 with stock gaskets, and FAST 90/90. Great numbers, but when you consider the added cubes and the high SCR, the dyno numbers are pretty much up there with other excellent heads on the market.

Yeah like there isn't a ton of 12:1 CR 383 and 370 cubed motor's making less power through their automatic's.
And let me tell you that 4.000 bore is such a hugh power maker over our 3.898 bore.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:54 PM
Launching!

Sorry to hijack this post but............

Can someone recomend me a really BIG Cam?

And Howmuch Horespowur will i macke ?

And could i pop a wheelie with it?
Old 01-24-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TAF Motorsports
Couple of questions............

Can someone recomend me a really BIG Cam?

And Howmuch Horespowur will i macke ?
That's a loaded question if I ever heard one...
Old 01-24-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember when the TRex came out and made 450rwhp cam only on a Thunder car, so 200 people buy Trex cams but could never get the same results? Of course shops and sponsors are going to play with things a bit to get awesome numbers that will cause 50% of the LS1Tech blowhards to say "OMG, 450rwhp?!?! Must buy now!" Same thing happened with AFR, same thing will happen here. It's called business. You just have to see past the B and the S in that word.