Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie wanting cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, thanks for all the answers, you talked me into a tune, it will just have to come a few months after i get everything installed

i wont have the money to do it all at the same time

SQR is the go to place though?
Old 02-06-2006, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

is there n e harm in installing everythign at the first of summer then tuning it at the end of summer after i get back to the arlington area

about 3.5 months
Old 02-06-2006, 04:43 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say maybe, depending on what all you are doing.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

it doesnt matter now, i did the math, when i do it all i can afford the tune as well

im looking at a little smaller now, like the f13/14s look like they might make driving my car daily more enjoyable, more lower range power

how do they sound at idle compared to the ms3 or t rex
ive heard videos that make them sound better at idle than the trex, like meaner, but its hard to tell on video
Old 02-06-2006, 12:08 PM
Launching!

jwhert, where do you spend most of your time, Abilene or Arlington? I don't believe I have seen your car around here in Abilene. My wife and I are the people with the 2 red Formula's.

When you are in town just get in contact with us and we would be more than happy to just talk cars. I don't know a lot, but maybe I can help out in some areas.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

cool, ive seen you around a few times

im going to school inarlington but im home every other weekend and on breaks, ill try and get in touch when im in some time
Old 02-07-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just found out my warranty isnt expiring around the time i thought it was, its an extended warranty and still has 1year+ on it

so it looks like i will be doing full exhaust for now unless someone tells me a cam wont void the warranty, i dont know how it wouldnt

but the good news is the exhaust will be on when its time for a cam
Old 02-07-2006, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

well, your warranty isn't really going to help as most times a dealership is going to be and say "oh, you've modified your car, we won't fix it now" even if you broke your transmission and all you have is a mild exhaust and an airlid. most dealerships are gay like that.

you can run a stealth cam and pick up some decent power, and most dealerships(or people) won't even notice its in there. or talk to Patrick G about the cheater cam, its pretty good as well.

i just had a new motor insalled, a TSP 347, and I have an F13 in there, and it lopes decently, nothing like a TRex, but its comparable to an F14. It pulls like a biotch from 2500 on up to whenever I feel like letting off the gas.

I only have a partial MAF tune on it right now, so it still surges a little, and bucks in parking lots if my RPM's drop too low. Under 1500 or so and she gets a little finicky. She goes in for a full Speed Density tune @ SQR on thursday(thats who installed my motor and a ton of other **** on my car while it was up there). SQR has a couple people up there who can tune with the best of them(from everything I've heard about other tuners, they pretty much ARE the best in DFW imo). They won't let you leave the shop unless the tune is spot-on.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

assuming i knew how to do it, how much would be involved in swapping back to the stock cam before taking it in for warranty work

what kind of time am i looking at, i am almost positive my dad has everything we would need to do it

so if we learned how to that might be what i try to do
Old 02-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jwhert
assuming i knew how to do it, how much would be involved in swapping back to the stock cam before taking it in for warranty work

what kind of time am i looking at, i am almost positive my dad has everything we would need to do it

so if we learned how to that might be what i try to do
Swapping a cam, from start to finish could take 8 hours or 30 hours. It all depends on how many you have done, correct tools, and if everything goes right or not.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jwhert
it doesnt matter now, i did the math, when i do it all i can afford the tune as well

im looking at a little smaller now, like the f13/14s look like they might make driving my car daily more enjoyable, more lower range power

how do they sound at idle compared to the ms3 or t rex
ive heard videos that make them sound better at idle than the trex, like meaner, but its hard to tell on video
PM me next time you're in Abilene, and i'll hook up with you so you can hear/ride in mine.....i have the F14 and the numbers are in my sig......great driveability i can't even tell it's there above 1500 rpm when i'm driving normally, but i can definitely tell it's there when i stomp on it......it feels like nitrous almost wants the car hits 3000 rpm, a little bucking between 1000-1500 rpm and surging occasionally, but i'm going to get all that lined out with Allan at FMS
Old 02-07-2006, 04:18 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

IMO power/torque is what you should base your cam on. You can drop your idle speed to 750 and with any aftermarket cam still have some idle inconsistencies (lope). Also, the swap back to the stock cam would be a pain. You would be better off having the ability to have open exhaust with 3 wingnuts or the flip of a switch. That way you could drive it loud or quiet, and when you go in for warranty work they wont even know you are cammed. I took mine back to Carmax because my window motor was overheating and basically needed to be replaced (3rd freaking time) and they didnt say anything to me. The first and second time i did it myself and knocked the spring off...That was an ***-beating i was not willing to take again...The dude even killed it 2 times in the customer service lanes and thought that my clutch was going out. That was with a stage 3 spec and built T-56. They fixed it free of charge then realized that I didnt have an extended warranty! They can or cannot be voided due to the compentency of the dealership.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:21 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

So to sum it up. F13-F14 + Good tune + full exhaust that can be quiet when closed. You should see some great power, hear some good lope, and be able to get your car sserviced still. Unless they are asshats and pull the any mod other than air filter and your warranty is voided.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

id like to hear a few more people say they got warranty work done w/ a cam in before i go through w/ this

anyone else?
Old 02-08-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

ttt..
Old 03-07-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

whats the hit to gas mileage w/ an ms3?

m6, other mods will be lt's, lid, then catted y, catback, cutout
Old 03-19-2006, 03:38 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

It really isnt that big a "hit". I lost maybe a total of a gallon off the tank from heads/cam and full bolt ons.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:43 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

And TTT for you again!
Old 03-19-2006, 05:32 AM
On The Tree

I've had a couple differant Camaros that were still under warrenty. My first one was a 95 that had an extended warrenty. The rule was, if you make a modification and that modification causes the malfunction, it is not covered. If something unrelated to the modification breaks or malfunctions, it is covered. Those rule come from both GM and the place I had the extended warrenty through.

Example: If you put in a cam and blow your motor it, won't be covered. But if your ball joint goes bad it is covered.

I hope this helps.

Good luck,

Al