Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best performance/dollar mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best performance/dollar mods

What would be the best way to make around 450 whp with an LS1 on a real budget? I was hoping to be able to make 450 whp all motor for less than 2 or 3k (not including the price of the motor) The cam also needs to be within reason. Like with a tune it shouldent stall too often. My buddy had a huge custom grind cam, and its not really streetable when he can no longer use his AC because the car will stall instantly and the car stalls most of the time anyway. But he was putting out 500+ whp all motor, with supporting mods, so you can imagine its a pretty agressive cam.

Also because this would be going into an RX7 I wouldent be able to use most long tube headers.

On top of 450whp all motor I was thinkin of spraying a 150shot. This will net me somewhere around 600whp. Because most people believe that the stock block is only reliable up to around 500-550 whp I was thinkin about getting forged pistons and rods (which will probably cost me around 1200, which is not included in the 2-3k I listed above as the amount I want to spend). I have a couple questions about it. If I get pistons that raise compression to say 12:1 or so how much HP increase will I see in raising compression. And also can I get No2 rings on those pistons to ensure a good seal? Also if I am running No2 on a high compression motor can I still run 93 without knock?

Some pretty simple questions but I was an import guy before this so I have never worked around the LS1, and I've never used No2 before so I'm a newbie to it, but I think this setup would still be cheaper than putting a procharger on the car, and give me more top end which is what I'm lookin for.

BTW if I went out looking for all new parts I know this buildup would be expensive as hell but because this is my weekend racer and not my daily driver I am gonna be shopping for used parts on eBay mostly. I know some of the stuff on there is total crap and I know some of the stuff is good or decent I just dont know which stuff sucks.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

instead of EBAY, look in the sales forums here. There are some awesome deals that come up on here from time to time, so be on the lookout. As far as 450 RWHP for less than 3K and no headers, I don't think it's possible, but that is just my opinion. Good luck
Old 02-09-2006, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by just-a-z
instead of EBAY, look in the sales forums here. There are some awesome deals that come up on here from time to time, so be on the lookout. As far as 450 RWHP for less than 3K and no headers, I don't think it's possible, but that is just my opinion. Good luck
Well I could get headers but it would have to be the shorties, or I could get the headers made by the people who make the swap kits that allow you to put the ls1 in the RX7. The Granny headers are like 500$ I think
Old 02-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sciff5
Well I could get headers but it would have to be the shorties, or I could get the headers made by the people who make the swap kits that allow you to put the ls1 in the RX7. The Granny headers are like 500$ I think

Err, you can get a set of Pacesetter headers for about $380 shipped to your door, longtubes, ceramic coated and all...

*EDIT*
Bah, nevermind - just saw you were putting them into an RX7. Either way, I'm sure you can find some shorties or mid-length's for not too much.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 168 Likes on 132 Posts

I was hoping to be able to make 450 whp all motor for less than 2 or 3k (not including the price of the motor)
can I have some of what you're smoking? LOL.

seriously... I highly doubt that you are going to see even 400 RWHP for less than 3K.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

Shop the boards and talk to friends. I've spent less then $1,000 on a 4400 stall, 3.73 gears, G5X3 cam, headers, and ported tb. In fact, the only brand new performance parts on my car are the lid and the custom x-pipe ($150 + $100 in mufflers) I had fabbed up, springs and pushrods (which I also found a great deal on).

Currently try to find a smoking deal on an ASP SFI approved pulley
Old 02-09-2006, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FCar2000TA
can I have some of what you're smoking? LOL.

seriously... I highly doubt that you are going to see even 400 RWHP for less than 3K.
hey thats why I'm askin. It seems like it would be just as much money to get a fully built N/A motor as it would be to put a procharger on it. I am just kinda finding out how much everything would cost to get an idea of which route I should go
Old 02-09-2006, 03:42 PM
7 Second Club

if your starting from scratch... meaning that you dont have a stock motor...

i would go ahead and spend the cash and get the nice internals....

like a 370 with stock crank, and flat top or domed pistons with valve notches from FFHP.... then juice the **** out of it and wah-la you have about 600rwhp easy with decent heads, decent cam, and decent intake.

get a lunati or comp cam.... they are much cheaper than the sponsors sell them for....
and pick up some 5.3 cnc'd heads or the TSP cnc'd heads.

and the compression of a motor isnt a set HP value it works as a percentage.

1 whole compression point might be worth 10% more horse power (or something like that, but you get the point.)

and not a whole lot of money spent...

thats my .02$
Old 02-09-2006, 03:45 PM
7 Second Club

hey thats why I'm askin. It seems like it would be just as much money to get a fully built N/A motor as it would be to put a procharger on it. I am just kinda finding out how much everything would cost to get an idea of which route I should go

ahahaha.... did you suggest that forced induction is just as much as a built NA motor?

FI is wwaaaaay more expensive because- of the fuel deliver requirements.

rails, pump, injectors, procharger unit itself, pulley tensioner kit.

a good supercharger unit itself setup properly will end up costing about 7k.

not including the extra fuel that it needs.

550rwhp is easily atainable through heads, cam, and n20
or just a big shot of n20.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
if your starting from scratch... meaning that you dont have a stock motor...

i would go ahead and spend the cash and get the nice internals....

like a 370 with stock crank, and flat top or domed pistons with valve notches from FFHP.... then juice the **** out of it and wah-la you have about 600rwhp easy with decent heads, decent cam, and decent intake.

get a lunati or comp cam.... they are much cheaper than the sponsors sell them for....
and pick up some 5.3 cnc'd heads or the TSP cnc'd heads.

and the compression of a motor isnt a set HP value it works as a percentage.

1 whole compression point might be worth 10% more horse power (or something like that, but you get the point.)

and not a whole lot of money spent...

thats my .02$
But could I run higher compression and No2 and still run pump gass?