Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Get rid of CNC track lines on the intake runners?
Yes
23.08%
No
76.92%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

CNC track lines on intake runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PortPros1
I wouldn't suggest smoothing the runners in your heads, our finish comes from many hours of flow testing and years of experience. If you’re not an experienced head porter with a flow bench, I would suggest you leave the heads as you bought them.
Too late...

Hopefully I didn't screw them up too bad. What kind of finish do you guys use for the intake ports if you don't mind me asking. Do you polish up the combustion chamber?
Old 04-25-2006, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some posts seem to have been erased.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Malihoochie
Some posts seem to have been erased.
I briefly went back through and didn't notice anything? What was erased? Anything important?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

It was me that missed some posts not some posts that were missing!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Lasershop
It will cost me how much?
Today's discount price on flowing a head is.....$0.00. A good old freebie! That is hard to beat.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gunnar@Patriot
Today's discount price on flowing a head is.....$0.00. A good old freebie! That is hard to beat.
I yanked the heads to install new SCE ICS gaskets. Ill FedX one of the heads off to you guys. Make sure you are wearing your sunglasses before you open the package!
RonO
Old 04-26-2006, 03:05 PM
11 Second Club

Had my LPE/GMPP cleaned up when we did the install, but the CC marks where not smoothed out. Awesome heads IMO.
Dave
Old 04-26-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gunnar@Patriot
Shipped out. Should be there Friday. FedX return tag is inside the box.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well just wanted to fill everyone in with my results. I was told it was going to be a "standard flow" with 28inches of water, but they were flowed on a 4.255 bore because that's all he had. They were waaaay off so they're not worth posting. After I got the numbers, he said he's never flowed advertised numbers on his bench.

The one interesting thing I found out was that the surface with the *very very rough* finish flowed 1.5 cmf LESS than the smoother one. It was a difference between about a 120ish grit and about a 50 grit finish. Maybe the actual port was the reason for the difference, not the surface texture. Wierd?!

Last edited by Xtnct00WS6; 04-27-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-29-2006, 04:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hi
what does skuff means ? and why it made him nearly cry? (maybe the meaning of skuff answers that)

another question is about the wetflow being the best of all method to flow a head and that it`s more to a real world measure .....

so if on the same car a AFR 205 and a DART 205 same valves sizes and springs etc ... we will see better rwhp and track time of the same everything else but the heads(cam 60`s numbers weather)....because the DART`s is the best of the best (both their own castings DART`s being the wetflowed ones) .... I think it`s a good question anybody agrees?

very informative thread (smooth intake runner doesn`t mean better because the marks contribute to faster dense mixture flow) didn`t know that.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bader-X
Hi
what does skuff means ? and why it made him nearly cry? (maybe the meaning of skuff answers that)

another question is about the wetflow being the best of all method to flow a head and that it`s more to a real world measure .....

so if on the same car a AFR 205 and a DART 205 same valves sizes and springs etc ... we will see better rwhp and track time of the same everything else but the heads(cam 60`s numbers weather)....because the DART`s is the best of the best (both their own castings DART`s being the wetflowed ones) .... I think it`s a good question anybody agrees?

very informative thread (smooth intake runner doesn`t mean better because the marks contribute to faster dense mixture flow) didn`t know that.

what did he say? If you are saying that Dart heads will outperform AFR's the answer is no, however for the price they are a damn good deal.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane

what did he say? If you are saying that Dart heads will outperform AFR's the answer is no, however for the price they are a damn good deal.
I don't know what he said either...

What's wierd is that when I flowed my heads, the smoother intake runner came out to be the better one by 1 cfm. I'm still going with the relatively rough surface texture though. The guy I got my heads flowed by is on really good terms with Joe Mondello so he called and asked what the surface should be and he said 60 grit finish. So that's what it'll be. I even made the point of making sure he mentioned what kind of heads I have too. I'm prolly starting the install tonight or tomorrow since I just passed emissions Now I'm good to go!

Btw...skuff means to roughen up the texture.

Last edited by Xtnct00WS6; 04-29-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

ahaaa .... that`s why he almost cryed

thanks for the clarification ....

what I said was :
dart using the wet flow bench (the best)
afr (assuming) normal bench

dart and afr use their own castings and port designs on stock valve angle

equales dart 205cc = better than afr 205cc in the REAL world track racing on nothing but a heads change between them since it was done on the super duper wet flow bench!

(if that is true the the platinum Iron Eagle is a really good head to consider since it was wet flow improved)<----that`s not the subject just a thought

Last edited by Bader-X; 05-02-2006 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How about a before and after flow comparison, and then a similar dyno from the same combo?

My guess is that its worth nothing. Leave them alone. It can be tempting to "go the extra mile" but I think you're going to be wasting cartridge rolls .

Ryan
Old 07-19-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a direct before and after on the same flow bench. It seems you can add about 1% flow with a little extra work.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/501812-lasershop-s-patriots-reflowed.html
Old 02-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6

Btw...skuff means to roughen up the texture.
dont you mean scuff, an actual word.

Interesting how the actual head porters here have say one thing and the amateur experts say another.
Also if you dont have the right equiptment on your flow bench I dont see how you can say "you've never had a head flow the advertised numbers" and be accurate about it.
You havent duplicated the test so you really cant say one way or the other.

Atmomization isnt just and old school term and still applies today. That air and fuel still need to mix on their way into the combustion chamber to maximize combustion. If mixing the air and fuel wasnt needed then injection would be direct into the cylinder.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
Here's a direct before and after on the same flow bench. It seems you can add about 1% flow with a little extra work.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501812
Look at the .200 flow# drop and the exhaust drop,
This flow doesn't mean that they will perform well in real motor environment. Atomisation is gonna be seriously affected.
Super Bling but, polishing intake runners damages the performance.
Ouside bling is awsome."

You just dont seem to want to listen to anyone but yourself so you go ahead. He didnt see a 1% gain, he saw eradic results with losses in some areas. In general the performance of those heads have been compromised. But you dont want to listen to fuel atomization because you think you know more than the pro's do... good luck I'm out.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
dont you mean scuff, an actual word.

Interesting how the actual head porters here have say one thing and the amateur experts say another.
Also if you dont have the right equiptment on your flow bench I dont see how you can say "you've never had a head flow the advertised numbers" and be accurate about it.
You havent duplicated the test so you really cant say one way or the other.

Atmomization isnt just and old school term and still applies today. That air and fuel still need to mix on their way into the combustion chamber to maximize combustion. If mixing the air and fuel wasnt needed then injection would be direct into the cylinder.
Thanks for the correction on spelling jackass...

I think for the most part everyone is in agreement here. We agree that a rough intake port is optimal. There's no confusion between the pro's and amateurs. I believe that the rough port is optimal because it's mostly an issue of fuel flow and not atomization.

In regards to not getting "the advertised numbers", it's pretty common to have differences between flow benches. The guy that flowed my heads said his bench almost never flows the publicized numbers. He also flowed them on a different bore size too. I do have 401/392 on a Mustang Dyno with a small cam, cats, and an LS1 intake. I think the heads ended up being JUST FINE

Last edited by Xtnct00WS6; 02-08-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

what happened with lasershop and Patroit reflowing hte heads?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onebadrubi
what happened with lasershop and Patroit reflowing hte heads?
He GAINED about 1% on average! Take a look at post 115.

EDIT...I don't want to mislead anyone. He gained airflow, but fuelflow will now suffer since the intake wall is too smooth.

Last edited by Xtnct00WS6; 02-08-2007 at 03:10 PM.

Quick Reply: CNC track lines on intake runner