Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent pushrod or valve?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent pushrod or valve?

Hey, not sure if this belongs in this section, so if not I can move it. And I have already searched for this, but still had a few questions.
Anyways, I did the idiot shift of 3rd to 2nd while meaning to put it in 4th, at WOT. Don't make fun of me, I have already done it to myself. So, I pulled all the pushrods(stock) to check them. None of them were visibly bent. I rolled them on my counter, and all seemed to roll fine. I bent down so my eyes were level with the counter and watched the holes on the ends of the pushrods. There were a few of them that wobbled just a tiny bit, so I switched those out. Were those pushrods bent?
My concern now is, if those werent bent, did I bend a valve? I don't hear any ticking or anything. Help please.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:55 AM
12 Second Club

I had the same problem few weeks ago . look for my threads in this section and u will find a plenty of info and how to discover your problem.

Lucas, from my previous experience , I am 100% sure that u bent some valves if u visually checked the pushrods and looked fine.

Pm me for more details.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

you will bend a stock pushrod before you will a valve.you should be o.k.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

if its not running bad, then you didn't hurt anything.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Any other opinions? I'm pretty worried about it.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Banned

The pushrods were made like **** in the rain becasue they're supposed to be the weak link.
If the engine is over-reved the pushrods will bend. Unless your pushrods had some serious issues the valves SHOULD be just fine. How high did you redline?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not sure. Pretty bad. I was at WOT and shifted at about 5800 rpms to go into 4th gear, but instead hit 2nd. I know I had to be way over, and the back tires immediately locked up and the car lurched forward. I immediately pushed the clutch back in and it seemed fine. Didn't try to die or anything, drove just fine. The thing I'm worried about is that the pushrods were barely bent, if at all. So if they didn't give, would my valves have given?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the vast majority of bent valves are the result of valve/piston collisions. It takes a lot of force to bend a valve stem.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Banned

The valves aren't bent. I've misshifted a few times and my buddies have done some horrible ones that I've been in the car to witness. I've never bent a valve or pr, but he bent 2 pushrods. When he did a heads/cam last year his stock valves were just fine.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm...Most of you are saying that you don't think there is anyway I could have bent a valve. However, prostock_bigblock has known 2 people to do the exact same thing I did, and bent a valve. I believe all of you...so, I guess I need to get in there and make sure. Dang-it. If I wasn't such an idiot I wouldn't have to worry about it at all.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't feel or hear a difference, why bother with it. I think that you are tripping for no reason.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Banned

Do you really think the piston hit the valve? If you did it would be making all kinds of noise since all the gas would be escaping that valve on every up and down stroke of the piston. Not likely.

You would HEAR something, probably more than a lil' ticking which all LS1's do.
If you take the heads off without buying ported heads to put on you're going to kick yourself for doing all the work for nothing. Have a leakdown test performed. I don't think you bent 'em though. -Joshua
Old 02-21-2006, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

I did something exactly like this a while back... I bent 2 pushrods to where it was noticeable with the naked eye. I changed them out and the engine ran fine. However there is still a bit of noise. The thing is I am not sure if it was always there and now I am just obsessing over it, or maybe it is new.

On a shift incident like this, how likely is a fraction of a second over rev to cause a rod bearing to spin? My engine has about 40k on it and still runs nice high oil pressure at cruise.

Sorry to hijack, but this is something I have been wondering about as well.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

if you'd bent a valve, the cylinder wouldn't seal, and you'd have a missfire the PCM would detect. it would throw a check engine light. you would feel and hear the missfire. if you have a vacuum gauge and get a steady 18" of vacuum, your valves are fine.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I talked to some guys I know here that have a shop that work on nothing but these cars, and they told me not to worry about the valves. Said theres no reason I should have bent one. And like FIREHAWK#608 said, I don't hear anything at all, and I'm not throwing any codes, so I should be fine. I guess I'm just really paranoid. I'm going to be much more careful with my shifting.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

Guys I have experience this problem 3 times this year with 3 different cars and my car was one of them . All of them where hitting the limiter or 2nd instead of 4th. all of them also had bend valves and all of them had a good oil pressure and good temp and no ticking or any weird sound.

I would say this is a 99.9% a bend valve .

u need to do a compression test , mine was = 0 at piston 8 .
Old 02-21-2006, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
if you'd bent a valve, the cylinder wouldn't seal, and you'd have a missfire the PCM would detect. it would throw a check engine light. you would feel and hear the missfire. if you have a vacuum gauge and get a steady 18" of vacuum, your valves are fine.
I didnt have any missfire and engine runs shaky only .
Old 02-21-2006, 11:33 PM
10 Second Club

I've done this on the strip with slick about 4 times and I have had zero problems with the valve train. Just luck I guess. I'm also quick to get the clutch back in.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, so I just did this exact same thing tonight racing an Evo on the highway. Faired decent (each of us going back and forth, no more than a fender) against the MKIV Supra TT, and beat the Evo pretty decently up top. Last race (for obvious reasons upcoming), I did the exact same thing. Engine seemed to run shitty for a few seconds, and then it seemed okay. Seems to rev fine but has a horrible shaking in the shifter between 1200-1400RPM and has an audible miss at idle. Granted, I haven't started the car since I turned it off about 15min ago, and I won't bother with it until tomorrow.

I'm about to go search prostock_bigblock's old threads and see what I can find.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Duron, could be either bent pushrods or valves or both....and to the orginal poster if you put the clutch in before the car had a chance to overrev you hurt nothing at all....

Quick Reply: Bent pushrod or valve?