Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Delete Guys - Problems Running Just Breathers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 885 Likes on 631 Posts

My car used little to no oil when it was stock. Maybe 1/2 quart every 3k miles. Now after my H/C/I swap it eats oil like crazy. I have a catch can which catches a bunch of oil. The car smokes@ WOT only. Pisses me off.

I've thought about putting a filter on the oil cap but have read mixed reviews about it.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
My car used little to no oil when it was stock. Maybe 1/2 quart every 3k miles. Now after my H/C/I swap it eats oil like crazy. I have a catch can which catches a bunch of oil. The car smokes@ WOT only. Pisses me off.
Why? ... higher compression (giving more ring blow-by) due to different heads? Or maybe just driving it harder after it was modified? Different valve guide seals that might not be working as well?

Just seems strange that a H/C/I swap would increase oil consumption that much.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 885 Likes on 631 Posts

I did up the compression to about 11.5:1. I did put different heads on. A local machine shop checked them out and put new seals on them for me.

I felt lucky that my car used very little oil stock and was afraid if I messed with it it would start using oil which it did. I have pulled a few plugs out and they look OK, I haven't pulled all of them out yet.

It smokes some @WOT but smokes really bad when I let off the gas and the RPMS start to drop. You can smell burnt oil like it has a leak but I can't find one anywhere. The car is running rich from the tune. I hope it hasn't washed the rings out.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just put a filter on my oil filler cap i got from napa and capped off the TB hole and the front passenger valve cover. i wanna get a breather for the rear driver side valve cover but i dont know the part number. once i do that ill cap off the rear passenger side cover.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just added a breather to the hose that comes off of the front, psg side valve cover and capped everything else off.

Quick Reply: PCV Delete Guys - Problems Running Just Breathers?