Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Delete Guys - Problems Running Just Breathers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonSS2000
Really. Been building race & performance engines for more than 35 years, and hold divisional, national, and championships in multiple classes in both NHRA & IHRA. The latest this past weekend in Charlotte in Super Gas. Only the 4th person in NHRA history to hold National wins in 5 differn classes, going for 6 in Top Dragster on the western swing.

Was involved in 97 with the first LS1 production motors released in the corvette and spent time at one of the better known GM R&D shops in TX during that time. Have beem covered in dozens of performance magazines through the years as well on my expertise with the LS genIII & IV engines and modifications.

List yours OR his in comparison:
Uhem, you aren't listing actual proof, your just talking.

You haven't said your name, you haven't posted links. Your nothing at this point but words.

ws-6 is providing proof which is his own hand experience while all you can do is provide links to sponsors selling catch cans.

Just went through your recent post history, you seem to be fairly into pushing catch cans onto any who asks about PCV lines. Hmm, starting to sound suspicious in my opinion.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonss2000
really. Been building race & performance engines for more than 35 years, and hold divisional, national, and championships in multiple classes in both nhra & ihra. The latest this past weekend in charlotte in super gas. Only the 4th person in nhra history to hold national wins in 5 differn classes, going for 6 in top dragster on the western swing.

Was involved in 97 with the first ls1 production motors released in the corvette and spent time at one of the better known gm r&d shops in tx during that time. Have beem covered in dozens of performance magazines through the years as well on my expertise with the ls geniii & iv engines and modifications.

List yours or his in comparison:
Originally Posted by big_mike2005
i never claimed to be some racing legend or engine building professional. I do my own wrench turning & help my friends on their cars. I'm a basic little "shadetree" mechanic. But in the few years i have worked on these ls1 engines i have discovered what does & doesnt work.

And if you bring the thinking from old school 350's into the ls engines your gonna be way off base. But what do i know, i have only spent everyday for the past 6yrs learning about these motor specifically & mine still runs perfectly fine with over 150k miles on it so obviously i'm doin something right.
owned
Old 09-21-2010, 07:14 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Come on big boy, post up some proof of your "accomplishments". Might want to think twice about calling out a respected board member. Ive had the same experience as him. I suppose Im wrong too. Im no professional engine builder but it doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize the stock PCV system is worthless.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Default Jason 2000 customer - these guys are top notch

Hey, I can personally tell you the positive experiences I have had with Jason's shop over the past cpl years thru 3 different builds including positive feedback from friends I have referred there. Prior to meeting Jason 2000's team, I've had several friends refer me to this his shop before he started doing exclusively private work and not open to the general public that had previously been working with them for years.

Unfortunately quality shops that dont try to gauge you are are simply too few and far between and unqualified or not comfortable doing custom work in the Tampa Bay- Sarasota - Manatee county area - I've kissed alot of frogs and visited a dozen shops before finding Jason's shop, which was heaven sent compared to what I call smoke and mirror shops that make big claims but have no proof to back it up.

His team team IMHO is 2nd to none in SW Florida. . I've never seen so many pictures of winning race pics with thier the winning checks. These guys are all like work toghether like a tight not group of brothers and truly care and make each customer feel very special and are very personable and take the time to explain every step of the process with you. That alone unfortunately isn't the norm these days.

I never have seen so many trophies :-) They have been great to me for several years and to a handful of close friends that run anything from nearly stock F-Bodies & Corvettes doing H/C/I jobs as well as $200k-300k Italian Exotics ...I have referred many friends to them before they stoped taking new clients on & the feedback has never less than exceeded their expectations.

I own a software company and have ZERO affiliation with Jason2000's shop, but I've get satisfaction from introducing good people to other good people, imho all of the friends I have referred to these guys are all now customers for life.

Usually they have several dragsters in there and 1-2 different Ferrari's all the time, a very impressive machine shop as well as a myriad of degrees in racing engines that I have seen 1st hand plastered all over the walls.

I did alot of due diligence before trusting them with my projects (2 mustangs and 1 trans am over the past 3 years). These guys are no less than top notch and take the time out to explain every step of the process to ensure you understabnd and are comfortable with every step of the projects they have done for me and a handful of friends including emailing pictures during each phase of the project, I refuse to bash any particular companies but as we all know there are a handful of shops that tout themselves as quality shops that the word hack shop would be an understatement.

I can tell you horror stories of my own experiences with several of Jason2000's teams competitors I have experienced 1st hand but not into bashing.

You can't be safe enough these days and I would put my name on Jason's shop to anyone looking for quality work at a fair price.

Maybe not the cheapest initially, but the cheapest shops as you know end up costing 3X more over the long run. Feel free to PM me me for details.

Unfortunately as far as I know, I don't think Jason shop is any longer open to the general public as they are only doing special/custom builds and projects for existing clients.

Sincerely,

Tom Sullivan
Ellenton, FL 34222
941-227-4154

Last edited by bossho; 09-21-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Now all you can do is hurl insults, oh wait, that's all you have been able to do.

All I see is dancing around the actual last name of Jason, his team name and his shop name.

If Jason2000 is the actual team name, Google sure as hell has not heard of you.

Proof please.

please.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Instead of ****-slinging, how about getting back on topic?

Breather vs. Vacuum pump?

Catch can vs. Vacuum pump??

I'm not talking dollar for dollar, I'm talking absolute best method for evacuating crank case pressure from the block and any of the acids/chemicals that are suspended in it.

If a vacuum pump is used, where is the "exhaust" of the pump going to? My friend's dragster has the vacuum pump exiting in to the dry sump tank for his oil system, but we don't all have a drysump tank to play with
Old 09-21-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey

I'm thinking stock PCV system with a healthy dose of sea foam every year

My LQ4 with 78K miles had some oily residue in the intake, but it certainly wasn't offensive
Old 09-21-2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mighty Whitey

I'm not talking dollar for dollar, I'm talking absolute best method for evacuating crank case pressure from the block and any of the acids/chemicals that are suspended in it.

If a vacuum pump is used, where is the "exhaust" of the pump going to? My friend's dragster has the vacuum pump exiting in to the dry sump tank for his oil system, but we don't all have a drysump tank to play with
Vacuum pump is the best method for NA apps, vents to the air in our case.

Ill be running a radix on my motor soon and Ill be running it to the jtube where there is a decent amount of vacuum even behind a 90mmtb. Should seal my rings right up and nto have to drop the coin on a vacuum pump.

Has anyone ever tapped the air filter flange on a turbo for a vacuum source? Id imagine even with the most free flowing of a filter there would be a couple in. of vacuum to be found there.

Some of the biggest hp engines on this board are running breathers.

JasonSS2000, you were the first to act like an infintile ego maniac, if your credentials are legit youre seriously lacking basic social skills and if I was a betting man Id say youre "that" guy that knows a lot but is holed away in the back of the shop away from customers due to that. If you want to stay around insulting members of the forum moderator or not, generally does not bode well for longevity of membership.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:39 PM
FormerVendor

wow there is some crazyness going on here,

well in any case i agree with jason. i used to work on crazy high hp imports, we did a catch can (air-tight-sealed) directly to the intake track in front of the turbo of 3 800+hp imports (2x-2jz,RB26) each picked up about 18WHP on the dyno. thats not a trick.

also quickly skimming this thread i noticed there is a mod or wtvr saying that if you have 500 bucks lying around get a vacuum pump, but if not run breathers and it will be just as good? not advice i would be giving
Old 09-22-2010, 05:46 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Josh sell the catch cans, people buy them, you're putting $ in your pocket with it, good for you. Just know it's not the end all solution to the problem

As for "jason2000"... I dunno who the hell you are, but please put up your last name and I'll make a call to a friend of mine @ GM racing and see if he's heard of you. Being that he's one of the top guys there, and is involved with just about every project going on in one way or another, I'm SURE he will know who you are.

(Oh, and by the way, he vents his personal race car to the atmosphere, so I guess he also doesn't know what he's doing LOL)
Old 09-22-2010, 06:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see, 12.9!!!! WOW! Sure shows in your 1/4 mile time.
LOL, that 12.9 was a long time ago. Far before my H/C swap & was also ran on bald *** street tires. I have no new times at the track with my current set-up cause I'm still on a stock 10-bolt & am smart enough to know it'll break if I put my drag wheels on with a 6-speed. I'm not a track junkie, so it doesnt bother me to not have a current best E.T.

Fact still remains my ride is daily driven year round, I have done all the wrench turning over the years on it, it still starts on the first bump of the key & runs strong with 153,506 miles on it as of this morning. So I'm not just some stupid kid on the internet as you would like to think.

Since getting in the f-body scene & learning about the LS series engines I have not seen a single engine failure caused by running breathers. Matter of fact I have seen FAR more engine failures on cars with the complete PCV system still intact.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:36 AM
FormerVendor

WOW- talk about a bunch of inflated egos on here- don't you guys have better things to do? We're selling our products to people who are looking to improve their stock PCV system. If you don't like it, or think it doesn't work, give your opinion and leave it alone.

JasonSS2000 has years of experience and is known very well in the industry. He is helping develop these with us and so far they have worked out well for those running them. Oil is getting trapped in the can, and not in the intake- what more do yo want to know?

If capping off your PCV was a fix to all these problems, then why would the OEM install it in the first place? It sure as hell wasn't for decoration- the thing is AWFUL LOOKING, lol.

Last edited by Erik@Lashway; 09-22-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:54 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
^^LOL, says the newb who probably has never tore down a LS1 engine in their life. You should really do some reading around here before you go callin people with tons of experience idiots & tryin to sway people to listen to your opinion.

I see far too many new members on this board lately acting like they know more about these engines than long time members who have been building them since the late 90's when the LS series was introduced.
BigMIke, take it from a sponsor on this site, JasonSS2000 is not a newb. He's been around a long time. In fact, we've enlisted his help in R&D for new products we're releasing. Do not make assumptions based on someone's join date, or post count- that's ignorant.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Erik@Lashway
BigMIke, take it from a sponsor on this site, JasonSS2000 is not a newb. He's been around a long time. In fact, we've enlisted his help in R&D for new products we're releasing. Do not make assumptions based on someone's join date, or post count- that's ignorant.
Wow, for a new sponsor you guys get a little butt-hurt when someone helpin push your products gets questioned. But its whatever.

I have seen all the results I need to see from different catch can set-ups & breather set-ups. In the end its all user preference anyway. If someone wants a catch can by all means buy one & run it. If they want breathers so be it.

But to sit & say that breathers are a bad option is a horrible sales pitch. I'm done with this thread as its goin to **** now.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
If you REALLY don't want any oil residue, you can put a breather tank in the car like the one moroso uses, and run a -10 line from the oil fill cap to the tank, that way there's no oil all over the engine bay. This is what I did with my old motor, as the valve covers had a -10 fitting on each cover.
This sounds a lot like what a catch can does....

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I will say a vaccum pump is by far the best way to go about this. But, if you can't afford one or it's not pratical for your particular application, Vent the crankcase. The blowby, that even a stock engine has, is enough to push a LARGE portion of the contaminents out, and the rest, will come out with the HOT OIL.
You're posting conflicting concepts. At one point you're saying breathers are fine because the pcv system is crap and then you're saying a vacuum pump is the best. PCV uses vacuum to evacuate pressure so I don't get it. I get that you don't want to hook any system up to your intake to avoid oil getting into the intake but you're making arguements about how and why things work, yet you're contradicting your own arguements about what's better.

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Vacuum pump is the best method for NA apps, vents to the air in our case.

Some of the biggest hp engines on this board are running breathers.
Again conflicting statements.

You guys are comparing tearing down purpose built race motors to factory street motors and you can't really do that in this case. Race motors by nature are going to be much cleaner than a street motor because the race motor sees much higher cylinder pressures, heat, etc. than the street motor putting around under 3k rpm and sitting in traffic allowing carbon and everything else to build up. You also need to remember that ls1's are built with small, low tension rings which by design need a pcv system to help them seal better and not get beat up. You want more pressure above the ring than below it because with the low tension rings that pressure above will help them seal, think almost like a diesel. So when you're putting around at low rpm, drawing vacuum you're helping the rings do their jobs and live longer. This is why pcv is important. As far as cutting oil down going into the intake, I have seen quality catch cans significantly cut down or eliminate this. Feel free to look at my website, I don't have catch cans listed there so I'm not sitting here "pushing catch cans" but I AM PUSHING PCV SYSTEMS and running the motor the way the engineers at gm designed it to.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'll put it in a more easily understood way:

A breather can, hooked to the valve covers, is how I ran my last motor, and it worked flawlessly. -10 line from each cover to a vented can. Essentially a breather on the valve cover venting to the atmosphere, but instead it provided a place for the oil/mist to collect. Nothing was hooked to the intake.

The better way to go about it is a vaccum pump, like was posted above. It's not a cheap way to go, but the best possible way. It is creating a vaccum in the crankcase, helping ring seal and all that, and also is NOT dumping the contaminents into the intake. And yes this has to be regulated. The way this was done above is adequate, and very popular. I've done this one other way in the past that has worked very well. We put a line of each valve cover to the vaccum pump, and had the pressure regulator hooked into the valley, giving a positive evac place for pressure on both sides. This is a preferance thing.

Easy to understand statement: Hooking ANYTHING up to the intake that is going to introduce ANYTHING other then clean air, or clean compressed air in the case of a boosted application is bad.

Here's a case that you may find interesting Brian. I just in the last ferw months, had a truck ls engine apart that had 180K on it. This engine, with the PCV hooked up as the factory intended, was so clogged with crap in the intake and intake ports, from the oil it was sucking from day one it was insane. I should have taken pictures to prove this point that PCV is trouble. The crankcase, didn't look all that great either, alot of sludge, and crap all over the place. Engine was running fine when it came apart as well, fwiw.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Erik@Lashway
If capping off your PCV was a fix to all these problems, then why would the OEM install it in the first place? It sure as hell wasn't for decoration- the thing is AWFUL LOOKING, lol.
because of emissions laws.. you seriously didn't know that? (see 1963)

http://www.arb.ca.gov/html/brochure/history.htm
Old 09-22-2010, 03:24 PM
FormerVendor

JL, I understand you're trying to not hook something back up to the intake, I said that in my last post. I don't doubt what you found in that truck motor either, never did I say stock pcv was great. My point though is that you say in on sentence a vacuum pump is ideal because it creates a vacuum to draw the pressure out but then in the next sentence you say to those who can't afford a vacuum pump to just run breathers and forget about the vacuum. That's 2 methods so which is it?
On top of that you're saying anyone that recommends a catch can is just pushing a junk product which doesn't work to get peoples money. You haven't provided any explanation of how a catch can would be harmful and why it's good to run just breathers when you say vacuum is required, instead you pound your chest and say how many motors you've torn down.
The fact here is that 99% of the active people here are street guys and you're saying a vacuum pump is ideal so why not give them a more economically feasible solution that uses vacuum to draw pressure. THAT IS MY WHOLE POINT run a modified pcv system to keep oil out of the intake yet evacuate crank case pressure the way it needs to be. You're telling people that catch cans are a waste of money and vacuum pumps are too expensive but then you're telling them to buy breathers and possibly even a moroso catch can to limit oil vapor under the hood. By your logic you must be selling breathers and moroso cans since that's what you're "pushing" so hard.
The bottom line on all of this is that there probably isn't only 1 right answer but I'm trying to bring some facts about why we have the pcv systems and how the motors were designed to run rather than trying to use post count as internet credibility to get people to pay attention to what I say. I've had success my way, you've had success yours. I have my opinion, you have yours. Some people run nitrous fine with projected tip plugs some don't, some people take stock rod bolts over 7k rpm, some don't. Different things work for different people but you can't sit here and argue with facts using just the motors you've torn down which we know nothing about.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:59 PM

Damn you guys have a reading comprehension problem dont you?

If you got the cash a vacuum pump is your ticket, if you dont breathers work just fine. Simple enough?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:13 PM

Wrong....period. Just read in detail what we are trying to show you. Breathers alone do NOTHING to evac the unburnt fuel, sulferic acid, carbon particles, water vapor, etc. out. A breather system with evac lines to the header collector will. And it is cheap as heck. If you ever get to a drag strip with a sanctioned race running just walk through the pits and look at the real drag cars.
You guys are overthinking things. If everyone subscribed to your line of thinking all the guys who have been running breathers for years on their street DD vehicles would be siezed up. Proper maintenance goes a long ways towards lasting.

Go look in the dyno and FI section theyre perfect examples in there of street driven high hp breather equipped vehicles that are running just fine. Just because we dont buy into needing a product youre selling doesnt mean we dont know anything.

Real world results speak for themselves, for race applications I agree, breathers arent great for optimal power but not very many people want to drop big bucks on a vacuum pump or expensive catch cans.

With that said Im done, Ive been around long enough and have enough brain cells to form my own opinion.

Quick Reply: PCV Delete Guys - Problems Running Just Breathers?