Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Delete Guys - Problems Running Just Breathers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I am probably using the same K&N breather as you. I would also like to know the same thing.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
One breather is fine. As stated before, with bay to bay breathing, it is more than enough. Here is what I used for my 02 SS:

Metco breather to replace passenger side oil cap (TR sells them)

plug for drivers side grommet, GM part # 12568011

three 11/32 caps for the passenger side valve cover and throttle body

1 cap (can't remember size) for the intake manifold
Pretty much the same setup here. But I'm not on the stock cam. But as far as my setup goes it works well.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

how much does the PCV valve/hoses effect the MAP sensor readings?---My stock one is a little rigged the stock one broke and i had one form an '01 lying around. it seems to have sealed propery, i used 3/8" fuel hose and a screw in reducer w/ teflon tape to seal the threads in properly (no apparent leaks) and plugged it onto the stock fitting.

My map sensor was only reading @ 20 wouldnt change at all just 20. i replaced the sensor but dont have HP tuners right now. If anyone has any imput please let me know
Old 02-24-2006, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

I am in the procees of doing a H/C change right now with a fast/NW setup and billet rails.
This would look so sweet to get rid of this junk and I was thinking of getting a catch can. Not no more.

Thank fellaz, great idea.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The engine bay is pretty dirty in this pic, but it's a lot less clutter than before. Looks 100x better to me.

Adam (02WS6Bird)...Sorry, but I have no clue if it affects it.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

nice, looks way better!! Let me see, !AC, !Powersteerin', !abs? looks way cleaner without al that crap hanging around!!

Though i would love to know where you got that radiator cap..

Man!! Now that is sweet!!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by obZidian
nice, looks way better!! Let me see, !AC, !Powersteerin', !abs? looks way cleaner without al that crap hanging around!!

Though i would love to know where you got that radiator cap..

Man!! Now that is sweet!!!!
Haha, I got that from the grocery store! This was taken right after I finished my cam install, so I was filling up the radiator at the time.

You forgot !TCS, !AIR, !EGR, !Cruise, !PCV, !bumper ****, !wipers & motor, umm, I think that's it.
That sad this is, it's still a pig.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:23 AM
FormerVendor

I am running the Metco breather, LS6 PCV setup, and an AMW catchcan. I don't know if I trust completely removing the PCV lines. I think that over an extended period of time that it may cause harm and I doubt anyone has put the mileage test to this mod.

I am **** about oil in the intake ports of the heads - that stuff cakes up over time, and your $2000 ported heads have lost their purpose essentially. I am pulling my intake tomorrow and I'll check it out. If the oil is in the intake, then I am selling my catchcan, and eliminating the PCV from the engine.

I think that my setup should reduce or completely eliminate the oil sucking problem as it is, but I may be wrong.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:09 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm gonna remove my setup.. and sell the AMW catch can, it did stop alot of the oil, but after swapping my heads this year and seeing what was still in there, even after putting the catch can on at 6800 miles on the odo, it was disturbing. Car hadd 18700 on the clock when the heads came off and got swapped, still full of goo.... hence why I'm dropping all that stuff.

Omega, now I knwo what my engine bay is gonna look like LOL. I"m swapping out my m6 for a th400, so the abs, tcs and cruise aren't gonna work I don't think anymore, so that stuff is all outta there, as well as the a/c, and probably the power steering too while I'm at it, I roll on skinnies most of the time anyway, probably never even know it's gone.

Did you keep the factory rack, or go to a manual one?
Old 02-25-2006, 07:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM has, since 2000, changed the PCV system untill in, 04 there is no PCV "valve" and the system is closed loop.There are now no vents in the rear of the valve covers. With the LS6 valley cover and a catch can the system works pretty well. I just added GM # 12589430 Cap, oil fill -<$10 (vented) which has another use but is a check valve, allowing pressure out but blocking incoming air. If you pry the cap off you can cut down the spring (shown) to lessen relief pressure to open valve and make a cap that fits perfectly and will relieve any momentary block pressure.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Launching!

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/PDF/PCV%20Bypass.pdf
This link explains alittle bit of what is going on and how to effectively remove it. The removal steps are geared towards Mustangs, but the theory behind it is the same.

Dave
Old 02-25-2006, 08:14 AM
Launching!

Why not leave the PCV valve in place. Close off all interaction with the intake manifold. This will eliminate the oil vapor getting into the intake and combustion chamber. Then run the outlet of the PCV valve to a catch can or a K&N type filter element. This is essentially what most carb setups have. They incorporate one PCV valve on the driverside valve cover with a tube running to the air breather. It has a small filter element clipped to the inside of the breather and vents to the air breather.

This will give you the functionality of the PCV valve to vent positive crankcase pressure only and do away with the vacuum of the engine opening the valve and contaminating the intake air charge. Just another idea.

Dave
Old 02-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I guess putting a breather in place of the line going to the intake, and capping off the small line going to the TB from the passengers side valve cover would work for all intended purposes as well... but would not do one thing... clean some more crap out of the engine bay. I want to gut my pcv to eliminate the oil from entering the intake tract, and because it will be one less thing to deal with when I swap to a edlebrock victor intake, and it will clean up the engine bay some more.. plus I can sell off my catch can. The catch can did do what it was supposed to do, catch oil, but eliminating the pcv completely, that is the only real way to stop the problem.

Poor manufacturers of catch cans LOL, thigns sure look nice, but are an expensive way of only 1/2 fixing the problem.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
how much does the PCV valve/hoses effect the MAP sensor readings?---My stock one is a little rigged the stock one broke and i had one form an '01 lying around. it seems to have sealed propery, i used 3/8" fuel hose and a screw in reducer w/ teflon tape to seal the threads in properly (no apparent leaks) and plugged it onto the stock fitting.

My map sensor was only reading @ 20 wouldnt change at all just 20. i replaced the sensor but dont have HP tuners right now. If anyone has any imput please let me know

Anybody? ^
Old 02-25-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DWillTA
Why not leave the PCV valve in place. Close off all interaction with the intake manifold. This will eliminate the oil vapor getting into the intake and combustion chamber. Then run the outlet of the PCV valve to a catch can or a K&N type filter element. This is essentially what most carb setups have. They incorporate one PCV valve on the driverside valve cover with a tube running to the air breather. It has a small filter element clipped to the inside of the breather and vents to the air breather.

This will give you the functionality of the PCV valve to vent positive crankcase pressure only and do away with the vacuum of the engine opening the valve and contaminating the intake air charge. Just another idea.

Dave
If you close off all interaction with the intake manifold, you make the pcv useless. Most factory carb setups have a pcv valve in the valve cover with a tube running to a port in the carb, providing vaccum. There is another tube running to the air cleaner to provide fresh air to the crankcase. If you have no vaccum to the pcv valve, there is no point in having a pcv valve. From what I have seen, there really is no way to keep oil out of the intake when running a pcv system. A breather is the way to go.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

Here are some pics of my K&N breather:

Name:  breather3.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  breather2.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  breather.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  103.0 KB

It has a decent fit and clears the hood.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Omega, now I knwo what my engine bay is gonna look like LOL. I"m swapping out my m6 for a th400, so the abs, tcs and cruise aren't gonna work I don't think anymore, so that stuff is all outta there, as well as the a/c, and probably the power steering too while I'm at it, I roll on skinnies most of the time anyway, probably never even know it's gone.

Did you keep the factory rack, or go to a manual one?
Yea, I couldn't be happier...It turns out there actually IS an engine in there! Definitely run skinnies though, I had to push mine around on street tires and trying to turn the wheel was a bitch. It felt like I was going to break something. I kept the stock rack, with skinnies it isn't bad at all and running down the track straight will be much easier.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:05 PM
CBX
TECH Apprentice

FWIW, I have a catch can and to be honest, it didn't cure the problem. I have since added an oil fill breather cap to the passenger side valve cover and I have to say, I think it worked. No more spots on the back of the car.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:57 PM
Launching!

How is leaving the intake completely out of the equation defeating the PCV system? The PCV valve is a 2 way valve. The vacuum from the manifold sucks the oil vapor in at idle and part throttle or high vacuum situations. The valve also will vent if there is excessive crankcase pressure.

How much pressure in the crankcase is to much? How much pressure does it take to overcome the PCV valve with no vacuum present?
Old 02-25-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DWillTA
How is leaving the intake completely out of the equation defeating the PCV system? The PCV valve is a 2 way valve. The vacuum from the manifold sucks the oil vapor in at idle and part throttle or high vacuum situations. The valve also will vent if there is excessive crankcase pressure.

How much pressure in the crankcase is to much? How much pressure does it take to overcome the PCV valve with no vacuum present?
Exactly, so you take the vaccum out of the equation and the only way for the pcv valve to open is with positive pressure in the crank case. It seems pretty pointless to keep the pcv valve with no vaccum instead of just running a breather.

Quick Reply: PCV Delete Guys - Problems Running Just Breathers?