Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining Noise After Cam Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any opinions on the video I posted guys?

I've had the car laid up wondering if it's safe to drive.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its fine to drive, lots of people did it for years before changing it out. I'm not sure how anyone could say it would be good indefinitely since no one has ever tried and there obviously is a problem on the surface finish. Personally I would drive the car like normal but the minute I had a chance to pull the cam out I would yank it and get something ground by cam motion on an 8620 core with a dr report.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Okay. I just wanted to be extra sure the noise I'm hearing is indeed a cam issue, and not something more severe, like a bearing or lifter or.something (new at this mechanic stuff, so it's hard to say what's normal!).
Old 08-07-2015, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Drive it...
Old 08-27-2015, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Hate to drag an old thread back. But I think I'm having this same issue.

Car is a 2006 GTO, LS2, m6. I just installed a TSP Torquer V2, Morel link bar lifters, pushrods, PRC dual valve springs, ported LS6 oil pump, Cloyes timing set and TSP long tubes.

I've already kind of gone over this on ls2gto, but this being the thread with all the answers, I figured I'd post it up and get an opinion.

I've removed the belts, doesn't matter if the clutch is in or out. I'm currently in the process of checking the alignment on the oil pump, but honestly this doesn't sound like an oil pump to me. Cam bearings looked fine to me.

Engine has 50 psi oil pressure when first started, after warm it's around 40-45, engine warms right up like it should. Has good vacuum, found no loose lines or leaking gaskets. The car is supposed to get tuned monday as long as this doesn't turn out to be a big problem.

Some input would be appreciated, is this what I'm hearing? Was the final conclusion to go ahead and drive it, just replace it when possible? Am I good to get it tuned like this, then pull the cam later to get this fixed? Like I said, sorry for bringing up a topic that's beaten to death, I figured after almost 10 years maybe this issue would have stopped coming up, but it sounds exactly the same to me.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like cam whine to me.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sucks to see this is still an issue. My cam motion cam solved the issue and worked great. I totaled my car like 2 weeks later though, so I haven't been posting much since this thread. Nice luck eh? At least I am alive and well .

All I will say is that I am cam motion for life after what I went through swapping multiple cams that all had the same whine. I will never take that chance again just to save 50 bucks.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Silverna
Hate to drag an old thread back. But I think I'm having this same issue.

Car is a 2006 GTO, LS2, m6. I just installed a TSP Torquer V2, Morel link bar lifters, pushrods, PRC dual valve springs, ported LS6 oil pump, Cloyes timing set and TSP long tubes.

I've already kind of gone over this on ls2gto, but this being the thread with all the answers, I figured I'd post it up and get an opinion.

2006 GTO whine after cam install - YouTube

I've removed the belts, doesn't matter if the clutch is in or out. I'm currently in the process of checking the alignment on the oil pump, but honestly this doesn't sound like an oil pump to me. Cam bearings looked fine to me.

Engine has 50 psi oil pressure when first started, after warm it's around 40-45, engine warms right up like it should. Has good vacuum, found no loose lines or leaking gaskets. The car is supposed to get tuned monday as long as this doesn't turn out to be a big problem.

Some input would be appreciated, is this what I'm hearing? Was the final conclusion to go ahead and drive it, just replace it when possible? Am I good to get it tuned like this, then pull the cam later to get this fixed? Like I said, sorry for bringing up a topic that's beaten to death, I figured after almost 10 years maybe this issue would have stopped coming up, but it sounds exactly the same to me.

Yep, that is 100% the cam whine. It may or may not be harmless, but it sure is annoying isn't it? I couldn't stand it when I had it, made me think the car was always broken.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Here's my crappy video: i guess it's a bit more noticeable than I had originally thought...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMS5dPn9xsY

Let me know if the video doesn't work... or what it could be...

I did replace the gaskets on the intake with FelPro, and I just went around before this video to re-torque the bolts to ensure they're all proper...
Yes, this is cam whine. You can tell by how it sounds when you let off the gas. It has a very distinct sound compared to say a pulley going bad or something else.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

I figured as much.... I'll probably drive it carefully for a few months, then replace it in the spring.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:44 PM
TECH Resident

I figured as much.... I'll probably drive it carefully for a few months, then replace it in the spring.
People have been having success just by getting them repolished by the manufacturer. So while you do have to do the labor twice, you shouldn't have to replace it at least, just send it back to get polished properly.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mchicia1
Yep, that is 100% the cam whine. It may or may not be harmless, but it sure is annoying isn't it? I couldn't stand it when I had it, made me think the car was always broken.
I don't think I'd mind it so much if I knew it wouldn't be an issue, but since I know it's possibly a problem, then heck yes it's annoying, lol. Guess I'll get it tuned, get some money built back up and see about replacing it. I really like this cam though, it's the exact sound I wanted. Maybe I could get this grind done on a different core. And yeah, my cam is dated 07/22/15, so it's not like I just got an old cam that just happen to have this problem, poorly machined cams are still being made apparently.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

where are all the people who were saying this problem is just a victim of producing large product volumes? lol its pretty obvious comp still has an issue and I wouldnt let any cam they grind touch the inside of my motor.

anyway, the tv2 certainly isn't a bad cam but any cam with that amount of overlap will sound the same. Personally I wouldn't get the car tuned yet, instead I would call kip at cam motion and order a cam spec'd to similar specs. Cam motion uses 8620 billet cam cores which are much better than the 5150 comp uses, so you get your better core automatically. the tv2 is ground on pretty aggressive lobes which will beat up springs and the valvetrain pretty good and will need to be monitored pretty tightly if the car is driven a lot. Kip's lobes will make the same if not more power and will be much easier on the valvetrain, the tv2 isn't a bad cam but is old tech and technology has progressed so why not take advantage?

cam motion offers the titan V which is a 230/234, the tv2 is a 232/234 on a 112 I assume which means you have 9 degree of overlap. on a 112 the titan V would have 8. So virtually no difference, or kip could spec you something out he's a very easy going guy.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:11 PM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
where are all the people who were saying this problem is just a victim of producing large product volumes? lol its pretty obvious comp still has an issue and I wouldnt let any cam they grind touch the inside of my motor. anyway, the tv2 certainly isn't a bad cam but any cam with that amount of overlap will sound the same. Personally I wouldn't get the car tuned yet, instead I would call kip at cam motion and order a cam spec'd to similar specs. Cam motion uses 8620 billet cam cores which are much better than the 5150 comp uses, so you get your better core automatically. the tv2 is ground on pretty aggressive lobes which will beat up springs and the valvetrain pretty good and will need to be monitored pretty tightly if the car is driven a lot. Kip's lobes will make the same if not more power and will be much easier on the valvetrain, the tv2 isn't a bad cam but is old tech and technology has progressed so why not take advantage? cam motion offers the titan V which is a 230/234, the tv2 is a 232/234 on a 112 I assume which means you have 9 degree of overlap. on a 112 the titan V would have 8. So virtually no difference, or kip could spec you something out he's a very easy going guy.
excellent advice as per usual, Red. I also pulled a comp for a cam motion and can tell you I am never going back. You get a cam dr report with your cam so you damn well know it's right.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

My comp cam has been perfectly quiet...dated 10/2014

However I will go with cam motion next time around. Kip runs a great operation over there!!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:01 PM
Teching In

If only it were as simple as "just get a different cam". Unfortunately this idea of mine originally spurred from a problem with a lifter and a timing chain, so I just don't have the money to up and buy another cam, and with my car being down close to a month, I really need to get it back up and running for now. Yeah it's not going to be fun getting it tuned again, but I have been seeing lots of good things about Cam Motion, and when I do decide to replace this cam, that's probably where I will go. If I had known Comp was sending out bad cams like this, I never would have bought one.

So for now, I'm going to drive it and see what happens, because I haven't seen anyone say their engine has blown up into a million little pieces because their cam was whining, but as soon as I have some spare change floating around, it's definitely coming out and I'll see about giving Cam Motion a call.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Just getting started with taking the car back apart, and I noticed the new SLP air lid does have some air gaps around the edges: could this lead to whistle?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Just getting started with taking the car back apart, and I noticed the new SLP air lid does have some air gaps around the edges: could this lead to whistle?
Your video says 100% cam whine, don't over think it, just replace the cam or repolish it and reinstall. An air leak does not have that mechanical whine and won't follow the RPM on the way down.

I just had someone PM me from corvette forum with two whining comp cam grinds in a row, so it's still a very common issue with comp today.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a cam from Texas Speed back in august 2015 and the car has the cam whin 100%, it's sounds supercharged!

So they sell a bad product and we're out RR cost? Don't they know they're selling a product that requires thousands of dollars to install?
Old 09-23-2015, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by regorih383
I purchased a cam from Texas Speed back in august 2015 and the car has the cam whin 100%, it's sounds supercharged!

So they sell a bad product and we're out RR cost? Don't they know they're selling a product that requires thousands of dollars to install?
They don't care. Lunati basically told me to pound sand. They should have taken back both the cams I bought from them and refunded me. I fought hard and was able to at least get lifters in exchange for one of the cams, but I was still out the $400 for 1 cam plus all the hours I wasted.

I would never buy a cam from them again. Cam Motion only from now on.

Quick Reply: Whining Noise After Cam Change