Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whining Noise After Cam Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jsteele90
its definitely annoying thats for sure. but will scare off most people looking to run. sounds like my car has a maggie!
lol it could have the reverse effect though. If you get walked by someone, people gonna be thinking they just yanked a maggied car
Old 01-14-2014, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mchicia1
There has to be a reason they whine. Was there any wear anywhere?

If it looked perfect, it's gonna be tough to get warrantied. Just because the whine is harmless doesn't make it right either. The sound is really loud inside the cabin on my car and it's annoying.
cam bearing journals and lobes were fine...I suspected the timing chain in my case, there was a ton of slack, looked like bicycle chain. Previous owner is the one that installed the TRex, stock oil pump and chain were left on the car
Old 01-14-2014, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
cam bearing journals and lobes were fine...I suspected the timing chain in my case, there was a ton of slack, looked like bicycle chain. Previous owner is the one that installed the TRex, stock oil pump and chain were left on the car
So what all did you replace when you replaced the cam? Just the chain and pump? I don't see how the chain could whine.

My LS2 chain is loose too, I am replacing it with a Katech c5r while I'm there.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

So what all did you replace when you replaced the cam? Just the chain and pump? I don't see how the chain could whine.

My LS2 chain is loose too, I am replacing it with a Katech c5r while I'm there.
..went to 243 heads, LS7 lifters, new lifter trays, new valve springs, pushrods, melling pump and LS2 chain...The old chain was scary, really could not believe the shape it was in. I could not stand the TRex, car was a dog with that cam, really the whole reason behind my swap. I was certainly glad I did once I saw the old pump and chain still in there.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:26 PM
TECH Resident

Ok so you replaced a lot of stuff, so that doesn't really narrow it down to just the cam I guess.

Still, I bet you don't hear about this that often because the sound is not necessarily a bad sound and maybe people just think it's normal.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Ok so you replaced a lot of stuff, so that doesn't really narrow it down to just the cam I guess.

Still, I bet you don't hear about this that often because the sound is not necessarily a bad sound and maybe people just think it's normal.
yep, that is why I could not blame the cam...
Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you drained the oil and inspected it for metal shavings or anything yet?
Old 01-14-2014, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

have you drained the oil and inspected it for metal shavings or anything yet?
No, it's either 5 degrees or raining where I live and I have no garage.

My buddy is letting me use his lift for the swap next weekend, which is why I already ordered a new cam.

I'll drain the oil for sure and get some new oil in there.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

My buddy is letting me use his lift for the swap next weekend, which is why I already ordered a new cam.
my car is going to my tuner tomorrow to get looked at, ill let you know what his engine guy finds.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

my car is going to my tuner tomorrow to get looked at, ill let you know what his engine guy finds.
Update?
Old 01-15-2014, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

nope its getting dropped off around 430pm today. my buddy with the truck and trailer is in college until 220pm.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

He will say it's a vacuum leak, just like the guy from Lunati just told me and everyone else I talked to who said the cam can't make a noise like that.

No one I have spoken to wants to believe it's the cam. I can't wait to prove them wrong.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

He will say it's a vacuum leak, just like the guy from Lunati just told me and everyone else I talked to who said the cam can't make a noise like that.

No one I have spoken to wants to believe it's the cam. I can't wait to prove them wrong.
well they definitely said that they have never heard the noise before. its about a 45 minute drive there and during the drive at idle my oil pressure would fluctuate below 20 psi while moving it would be 40 plus. Got it to my tuners, we drove it around a few times, we went to drive it on the dyno to put a load on it to troubleshoot the noise some more. He started it up and no oil pressure. So they are going to tear into it tomorrow and take a look at the oil pump.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

well they definitely said that they have never heard the noise before. its about a 45 minute drive there and during the drive at idle my oil pressure would fluctuate below 20 psi while moving it would be 40 plus. Got it to my tuners, we drove it around a few times, we went to drive it on the dyno to put a load on it to troubleshoot the noise some more. He started it up and no oil pressure. So they are going to tear into it tomorrow and take a look at the oil pump.
That sounds exactly like the oil pump.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

the weird thing is the pump is a upgraded ls6 pump i installed in dec 2008. but i guess that was kinda long ago. but some people are still on the oem pump. When i put the new cam in a few weeks ago i didnt even touch the oil pump, just double checked the torque on the bolts, thats it. well we will know soon what the real issue is. Hope the cam didnt just wipe out all the cam bearings.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

the weird thing is the pump is a upgraded ls6 pump i installed in dec 2008. but i guess that was kinda long ago. but some people are still on the oem pump. When i put the new cam in a few weeks ago i didnt even touch the oil pump, just double checked the torque on the bolts, thats it. well we will know soon what the real issue is. Hope the cam didnt just wipe out all the cam bearings.
Damn, hope it turns out to be something simple
Old 01-16-2014, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I had a whine after my last cam swap. It was my wife in the passenger seat....

OP I hope you get this figured out.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:03 AM
On The Tree

My engine makes this noise too and I've narrowed it down to 2 things: a lifter spun in the bore so the roller is sitting sideways on the lobe, or the cam bearings got eaten / wasted.

The engines actually coming out soon and I'll be able to look at the cam and what not.

I'm curious what you find as well

Matt
Old 01-17-2014, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

If it was a lifter sideways, my engine would have exploded by now. I've put 1500 miles on it and several track passes until I realized the whining noise was NOT my power steering pump. Once I found that out, it hasn't been driven since.

I'm betting on cam journals improperly sized slowly eating at the cam bearings.

My car was dead silent, then I put in another cam and it whined. So unless I knocked a cam bearing while installing, it's the cam causing it.

My new cam will be here Monday, so I should find out very soon. I will update.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't had this problem, but in different engines I have seen similar problems. In one case it was determined that the final polish was insufficient. There were micro groves from the machining process. If the groves had a slight pitch to them they could grab the lifter causing it to move sideways and rebounding slightly. Or if it is a journal surface it could cause the cam to walk front or back. Remember we are talking about micro inches. These grooves are so small that they cannot be seen or felt. Theses grooves can only be detected with specialized equipment.

This is similar to brake noise from a improperly turned drum or rotor.

Just a thought.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Whining Noise After Cam Change