Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping the motor, how long?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Swapping the motor, how long?

Going to be at a buddy's shop with him swapping my motor soon.

GM calls for I think 18 - 20 hours but they're always high.

Those of you who have done it (not the ones who do it daily) how long did it take you? We're decent with wrenches, my buddy is actually a certified mechanic.

Can it be done in a day?

Car in question in my sig.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think a day might be pushing it, but it's possible. We had an engine out and back in the car and running in a weekend, but we weren't trying to break any speed records and there were 4 of us working.

Edit: This was also pulled out from the top not the bottom.

Last edited by zspot98; 03-06-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did my swap in a weekend. Pulled it through the bottom. That included building the new moter. It could be done in a day but it would be a long one.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm. Motor is already built.

It's faster to takeit out the top, no?
Old 03-06-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You should easily be able to do it out the bottom in a weekend, I did mine and its really not that involved. Just go slow and make sure not to drop it too quick, check for snags on various lines and what not. Make sure to not get the brake lines that run down the divers side shock tower caught up.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jermzz
Hmm. Motor is already built.

It's faster to takeit out the top, no?
Out the bottom I think is faster. The trans comes with it and you put the trans back on the moter with it out of the car. You can have just about have everything bolted back up to the engine before it goes back into the car. Do you have a lift??
Old 03-06-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure he has a lift.

What can be left on if you do it out the bottom? I'd assume most of the Accys and the headers could all be left on, huh? That would make it faster. Attatching the headers and tightening them in the car is a bitch anyway.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

When I did mine I pulled the intake manifold off so i could disconect the oil press sending unit and cam sensor. I left the wireing harness in the car and just moved it out of the way as the moter was comming down out the car. You will have to pull the cat back off the y pipe, just let it hang on the axle. The headers can stay on the moter.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Catback is coming off anyway, got true duals.

What about the accys up front? they all have to come off first?

Anyone have a link to a writeup just so i can skim over it? I went to ls1 howto, didnt see anything on dropping the motor.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Swaped one a couple weeks ago in a little less then 3 days. Pulled it out on thursday, replaced all the bearings, installed the heads & had to wait on gaskets, Got the motor back in on friday, & fired it up saturday morning. If I had everything that I needed right there with me, I could have had it done in two days. It was me and a buddy (his car). Hes mechanically declined so it was basically me by myself. This was with a lift, pulling the motor & trans from the top.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...engine+removal
Here's some info that might help too.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jermzz
Catback is coming off anyway, got true duals.

What about the accys up front? they all have to come off first?

Anyone have a link to a writeup just so i can skim over it? I went to ls1 howto, didnt see anything on dropping the motor.

Hey dude, what are you keeping in the car? Did I read that right that you sold the Strange 12 bolt? Shoot I would like to watch or help if I could, when are you dropping it in?
Old 03-06-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Azrael
Hey dude, what are you keeping in the car? Did I read that right that you sold the Strange 12 bolt? Shoot I would like to watch or help if I could, when are you dropping it in?
What's up Jack!

No, no. I didn't sell the 12 bolt I should fix that. I changed my sig and forgot to take the 12 bolt out. I just put sold under it.

I sold the motor and everything with it besides the accy's and the coils. Package deal to one of my really good friends. He's putting it in his 71 El Camino.

You're more then welcome to help or watch. I should be doing it within the next couple months. I just need the money to purchase a couple more parts.

I just picked up the 42lb injectors today, but i still need some 1 7/8 inch headers and a FAST setup. Other then that everything is ready to go. Shoot me an email to jdresser@sbcglobal.net and i'll send you pics of the motor. It's sooo pretty
Old 03-06-2006, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Started at 8:00am on a Saturday, 3 of us. Fired it up at midnight, last June. 16 hours, couple trips to Autozone and Harbor Freight ( broke stuff, forgot stuff ). All through the top. Pics on my site. We had to put the tranny and DS back in too. Had every bolt in a bag labeled for readiness and used my buddies car to make sure where stuff went.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had my motor and trans out on the ground in about 3 hours. Removed the front accessories, rad, intake, shaft, inter pipe, and wire harness. I left the pulley on, also I only loosened the headers and let them sit in the engine bay. I have an air compressor and all the necessary tools, however, I don't have a lift at home. I pulled the motor and trans right out the top. It's close, but it fits.
I can tell you this, if your comming out the top, take the through bolt out for the motor mounts, hook the hoist up and lift the motor up off the pedestals, then remove the pedestals. I had to do this because I have the mc-cleod bellhousing and their engine plate (the engine plate wouldn't clear the pedestals)
I haven't put the motor back in the car yet cause I'm still waiting on parts that are on back order. I can't see why some people say it's quicker to pull the motor out the bottom. Once the motor is back in, you now have to go and bleed all the brakes, your going to have get an alignment (once the frame comes out and back in-it will not be in the same spot, whether the car goes straight or not, the alignment is not right)
This won't pertain to you cause your going true duals, but, comming out the bottom, the exhaust has to come apart and then back together. Out the top, another step that does not have to be completed.

Good luck - I say less than a day if your pulling a complete motor and instaling a complete motor.