Sponsored by:

Cam help, using stock convertor in GTO

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam help, using stock convertor in GTO

'04 GTO - 100% stock.

I want to use the stock cat-back and would like to stay with stock manifolds if possible.

I want the car to run strong on the highway, I will keep the stock convertor.

I'm planning on a completely stock car with a cam and a 75 wet shot. That should get me over 400 rwhp and be quiet.

I don't want to shift past 6400 or so.

The older grinds such as the Thunder 224 would probably get it done but I'd go bigger if it was still a very usuable power band.

The car will only be driven on weekend and I will get it tuned. I'm looking for a 50-120 MPH car here.

Suggestions on a cam?
Old 03-15-2006, 03:14 PM
12 Second Club

I would go for the Cheater cam from thunderacing or the stealth 2 from MTI , and they both should get to a 420-450 rwhp range withe the juice .

we r in process on doing the same setup but with the addition of AFR 205 heads on my freind 4 door holden commadore.

try to give thunderracing a call they will provide u with a good setup for sure,and go have a look at their Cheater cam on their web site.However, I recommend this cam for your application.

good luck.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Do not waste your money on a cam in an A4 with a stock converter. The stock converter will not let the cam funtion in it sweet spots (It will not operate in its power band). You will not see any reall benefit and the drivability will suck big time. Trust me I know from experiance.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joel_SS
Do not waste your money on a cam in an A4 with a stock converter. The stock converter will not let the cam funtion in it sweet spots (It will not operate in its power band). You will not see any reall benefit and the drivability will suck big time. Trust me I know from experiance.
Thats true but he will still gain some good power if he is mostly street racing, remmeber that he is not doing any hard core racing,

I want to use the stock cat-back and would like to stay with stock manifolds if possible.

he wana refresh up the engine and still can keep his stock manners on. and with 100 shot he will be fine in track . .
Old 03-15-2006, 04:12 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by prostock_bigblock
Thats true but he will still gain some good power if he is mostly street racing, remmeber that he is not doing any hard core racing,
It is still gonna choke him on the power side. maybe 35% power left on the table. Nothing wrong with a good 3200-3800 stall for street driving as well.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was pretty into drag racing a few years back, not so anymore. This car would be lucky to see the strip once a year and when it does I don't want a big stall forcing me to run a sticky tire.

Its not my way of thinking but where I live all everyone does it 'roll race' so I might as well set this car up to run from a roll a bit better.

The stock convertor should be more efficient on the highway however I'm wondering the higher shift extension from a Vigilante 3200 would more then offset that?

I'm really on the fence with a convertor. Regardless I can always add that later. finding a good cam to work with stock manifolds & cat-back is my first choice.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cheater is the way to go with stock manifolds if bottom end TQ is not an issue. Shift at 6400. Lack of converter from a roll is not as big a problem compared to running from a dig. For 50 mph and higher you need not worry about the 1-2 upshift (assuming no 2.73 gears) and it takes at least a 3500 stall to really help the 2-3 upshift.

Putting a higher overlap cam in (TR 224) will require a high idle speed for a stock converter.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Go TR ChetR if you're definetly staying stock manifolds
Old 03-15-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

What can I expect to see with the Cheater?

Is 30 rwhp a pipe dream? Headers will wind up costing me quite a bit more and will be less of a gain, hence I want stock manifolds....plus I like sleepers....

The gears will be 3.4X (stock GTO gears.)

If its 'that' bad as I said I'm sure a Vig 3200 would wake it up down low. But I would kind of like to be able to just run a nitto at the track without traction issues.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

its a great cam, Patrick G had one in his car before he went to the Trak cam. if you click on the link in his sig you can see the dyno sheets. pretty impressive IMO. i would definately look between thunder's cams and futral.