Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install in DFW!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam install in DFW!!

Well, I'm going to be getting my cam in the next few weeks, so I went to a local shop today to get an estimate on a cam and valve spring install and they wanted $1300 to do it!!! I emailed LG motorsports in Wylie,TX and they quoted me $2500-$3000!!! I'd like to do it myself and learn but I don't have the tools or the guts to do it myself. Is there any shops that you guys know of in the DFW, TX area that can do a great job on a cam and springs swap for cheaper and knows what they are doing? I also want to install a torque converter at the same time possibly. so if any of you guys know where I can get this done for a reasonable price I'd really appreciate it. thanks
Old 03-21-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lg must have been talking parts too because they are out of their mind for charging 2500+ in labor for a cam and spring install. Especially since a lot of people on the board do this for like $500.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:54 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Apparently you can get the install and all the parts including cam installed over at Xtreme Horsepower in North Richland Hills for right at $1200....And that includes a nice dyno tune as well. They are a sponsor on here. I am sure that FunkyTownFBody will chime in on this too.

I have always done my own cam swaps. It is sorta fun in a way. I feel I learn a new and better technique everytime I do one too. It really isnt that hard to do on an LS1. You just need 3 things.
1.Tools
2.Patience
3.Beer

Old 03-21-2006, 03:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2395 installed, tuned, and parts then add tax.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Apparently you can get the install and all the parts including cam installed over at Xtreme Horsepower in North Richland Hills for right at $1200....And that includes a nice dyno tune as well. They are a sponsor on here. I am sure that FunkyTownFBody will chime in on this too.

I have always done my own cam swaps. It is sorta fun in a way. I feel I learn a new and better technique everytime I do one too. It really isnt that hard to do on an LS1. You just need 3 things.
1.Tools
2.Patience
3.Beer

I doubt that. $450 for tune+$350 for cam+$250 for springs+$100 for pushrods=$1150 and that's without any labor whatsoever. So I doubt they will go through all that work for $50.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:58 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
I doubt that. $450 for tune+$350 for cam+$250 for springs+$100 for pushrods=$1150 and that's without any labor whatsoever. So I doubt they will go through all that work for $50.
It is true.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Louis
2395 installed, tuned, and parts then add tax.
Thats just silly. Why in the hell would it cost that much. I guess for the same reason you charge $90 for 3 back to back to back pulls on the dyno. "LG, where lots of money buys speed".

Brandon
Old 03-21-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

well they do use the real expensive comp 921s
Old 03-21-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Louis...sent you a pm
Old 03-21-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Resident

For the same reason why there cam costs 80 more then everyone else, they think their stuff is made by god.

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Thats just silly. Why in the hell would it cost that much. I guess for the same reason you charge $90 for 3 back to back to back pulls on the dyno. "LG, where lots of money buys speed".

Brandon
Old 03-21-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Simple Quick Racing!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

The cool thing about having a local guy do it is that you can hang out and he will explain everything that he is doing, so next time you can take the job on yourself (Its not just about saving $$$). Pretty much at any shop you they don't have the time to explain what all they are doing step by step and having you in the shop is a liability.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

My vehicle is currently with LG doing a cam/tune and some other work. As far as I'm concerned, its money well spent. The guys are taking care of me and I know the job will be done right. In fact, eventhough I had told them the heads I had purchased already had the 921 springs, they checked anyway....sure enough, because I had gone with the LS1 hotcam, the guy who had done the work changed the springs out and put the stock Z06 springs back on them. I'm thankful LG went ahead and checked - cause like a knucklehead - I didn't know the change had been made.

Just like with AFR heads, you get what you pay for.......on top of that, I know I can go over there and ask them and they'll help me out.

Good shops are too hard to come by in Dallas for any kind of work on any vehicle.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 93ChevExt5.7

Good shops are too hard to come by in Dallas for any kind of work on any vehicle.
Thats not really true. You are just buying into bullshit. RPM, SQR, and speedtek all do decent work. A cam install isnt rocket science. There are people out there that have had bad experiences with every shop, thats just how it is. Sux2bu, V6Bird, or myself could all do your install and not have a problem. No doubt there are tons of more guys, I just dont know them. My point of contention is the price. $2395 is crap, period.

Brandon
Old 03-22-2006, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

xfactor_pitbulls -

Can't believe you didn't mention Keith Craft.....

It is really true if your talking "just any old shop", your brother-in-law or a guy your uncle knew 5 years ago. I was not speaking of other name-brand organizations. I've run around this area long enough to know this. I've worked around cars since the 5th grade, my father had his own auto parts business since 1952. My grandfather helped to set a world landspeed record back in the 40's. I know what to expect and I know what they try to get away with and I know what kind of markup guys have on their products.

No doubt you and others have the technical skills to do the work. How long you gonna be around for? What kind of guarantees do you have that the work will be done right? What kind of warranties will you offer? I've worked around engines for a few minutes myself and have seen the 'customer' and the guy doing the job get burned....heck when I was 18 I gave testimony in small claims court because of work like this.

Simply put - take whatever chances you'd like - save your money - all the best I hope it all goes well....but if there's something in the back of your mind saying "mmm should I do this?" maybe give yourself just a little longer, save up and then have the work done by someone who has a record of performance and quality.

There's a reason why organizations like www.bbb.org exist. Interestingly, neither the Speedtek in Haltom City, nor in Dallas is directly registered with bbb.org. However, a business extremely close to its address with the exact same telephone number (of the Buckner location) is - under the name of Super Shops #51. Looking it up on yellowpages.com came up with nothing. No answering machine to pick up to confirm one way or another what organization was at that telephone number.......
Old 03-22-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

- under the name of Super Shops #51.
damn, now we are talking olllllld school.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

xfactor_pitbulls -

Can't believe you didn't mention Keith Craft.....

It is really true if your talking "just any old shop", your brother-in-law or a guy your uncle knew 5 years ago. I was not speaking of other name-brand organizations. I've run around this area long enough to know this. I've worked around cars since the 5th grade, my father had his own auto parts business since 1952. My grandfather helped to set a world landspeed record back in the 40's. I know what to expect and I know what they try to get away with and I know what kind of markup guys have on their products.

No doubt you and others have the technical skills to do the work. How long you gonna be around for? What kind of guarantees do you have that the work will be done right? What kind of warranties will you offer? I've worked around engines for a few minutes myself and have seen the 'customer' and the guy doing the job get burned....heck when I was 18 I gave testimony in small claims court because of work like this.

Simply put - take whatever chances you'd like - save your money - all the best I hope it all goes well....but if there's something in the back of your mind saying "mmm should I do this?" maybe give yourself just a little longer, save up and then have the work done by someone who has a record of performance and quality.

There's a reason why organizations like www.bbb.org exist. Interestingly, neither the Speedtek in Haltom City, nor in Dallas is directly registered with bbb.org. However, a business extremely close to its address with the exact same telephone number (of the Buckner location) is - under the name of Super Shops #51. Looking it up on yellowpages.com came up with nothing. No answering machine to pick up to confirm one way or another what organization was at that telephone number.......
Hey I hear where you are coming from, no doubt. My point was that it is a cam install. I have done about 6 with no problems whatsoever. Juan and Mike have done alot more than that I am sure. BTW, I wasnt offering. I dont want the liability unless it is for a friend. If you are getting an engine built, or something major, I could justify spending the big money. As long as somebody or a shop has referrences, and for the most part they are good, it is not that big of a deal. BTW, I have been working on cars since I was a kid too. My parents run a high volume shop and have for years, so you are preaching to the choir.

Brandon
Old 03-22-2006, 09:09 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mmorrison09
Simple Quick Racing!!!
Either one of the shops in my sig do it for a good price and have knowledge to do it right....

TRT or SQR get my vote!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Spend the money on tools and do it yourself. Then you've got new tools + experience and a cam, as opposed to an empty wallet and a cam. You don't need any fancy tools either, a few sockets, $30 spring tool, and a pulley puller and your set.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
sorry to chime in late,

there seems to be some confusion about the cam/spring install + tune

$1800 is the price to do the install + tune with us supplying the parts which include the:

Camshaft
Springs
Pushrods
and a Tune

sorry for any confusion

-Matt @ Xtreme Horsepower

Quick Reply: Cam install in DFW!!