Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bummer...burnin' oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bummer...burnin' oil

Me and my friend took his car to TTP on Fri. and layed down 474hp/428tq at the wheels(uncorrected)...not bad for stock cam and a P1SC at 8psi. But....with the good news comes the bad. We seem to be burning oil...a pretty nice cloud under acceleration and burping the throttle. My friends brother changed the valve seals when he installed the springs...so they my be suspect. But this thing smoked a little when he bought it. So I'm thinking broken ring or ring land, or maybe scoured cyl. walls from the idiot before him that beat the crap out of it before breakin. Anyway...I need some advise on a budget set of pistons and rings and if you guys recommend boring it .005 over, resurfacing the crank, replacing all bearings. I need some serious advise. I'm familiar with motor and removal process. I'll be upgrading the internals with ARP fasteners. Any event...I have a nice borescope to probe the block and the cylinders to find the culpret before I jump to any conclusions. I let you guys know tonight. This motor has never been out of the car...so all should be factory measurements. I'm in for a long week

Last edited by Rabidbandit; 03-28-2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Well boroscoped the cyls. No scoring, just alot of carbon on the crown and It seems to be under the intake valve. Also the manifold was wet with oil...so I changed the PCV. Ran some seafoam to clean everything out. Took it for a drive and still smokes. I'm going to change the valve seals again and see if that does it. If not....I guess a rebuild is in order. This really sucks!!! Anyone else with this issuse...I need all the help I can get...I'm out of troubleshooting options. The plugs are fine and the damn thing Idles and runs perfect. That hopefuly rules out broken rings right??? Thanks
Old 03-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Banned

Check out the ls1 too ls6 PCv conversion. I know your building lots more pressure in that motor now.. Pushing the oil
Old 03-27-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

remove the pvc system has worked for some people. if you go that route look into getting breather.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys....we have a breather on order and might do the LS6 manifold and Valley pan conv. later
Old 03-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Banned

Rabid: Good meeting you on Friday. Yes, try what these guys have suggested above. But like you said also, good chance there is a damaged valve seal. Do the valley pan conversion when you do the LS6 manifold so you dont have to do the labor twice.

Any questions you know where to find us.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

You to Matt....you guys rock Well we can't seem to find an LS6 valley pan that won't take two weeks to arrive....sooo...me and Bill are looking for a passenger side valve cover to add another breather and to relocate the PCV up front on the driver side. I'll pull the manifold tomorrow and thoroughly clean the plenum and runners so we have a fresh starting point. If it still smokes...valve seals come next. Thanks for all the help guys. Will let ya know the results hopefully by Sat.
Chris

Last edited by Rabidbandit; 03-28-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Well...pulled the manifold...definately the valve seals The intake valves that were closed have a nice pool of oil in them. Damn...I had no Idea that these seals can leak that much As much as it sucks to swap seals...it beats the hell out of doin' rings.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Launching!

Glad you were able to find the problem. I'd take seals over rings any day!
Old 03-31-2006, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

This story is even more funny...The seals were not even seated. We pulled the springs only to find the valve seals were hugging the retainers...LOL. These were installed by a family member of Bill's who I thought knew that you had to seat them with a 13mm deepwell pretty firmly...instead of just slipping them on. After all....I installed his seals after his cam/spring swap and he never had any smoke what so ever on his car. Apparently he didn't pay attention while I was doing it and caused more work for his brother and me Oh well....atleast I showed Bill the proper way to install them Thanks again for all your help