Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up a 02 Z and now it's making noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just picked up a 02 Z and now it's making noise

Well just picked it up on Monday. The next day I hear a tapping from the motor. It was on my driveway on an up slop. I changed the oil and it was still there and load. It don't sound like a rod knock it sounds like it's coming from the lifters. I started driving it and it went away. I parked it back on the drive way and it started doing it again. I backed it in the drive way same thing. drive the on the street and it goes away. WTF?? It has to be an oiling thing. I'm just looking to see if anyone else has had this problem. It's still under a warrantie. So I may just change the lifters to see if thats it. Any input will be helpful.
Thanks...
Old 04-07-2006, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oil pressure, see what the gauge reads at idle and under driving conditions, if it's low at idle and higher during a drive, that's one main thing that will cause noise to come and go.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

LSx's are loud engines anyway. But, yeah, sounds like an oiling issue on the lifters, because it happens on an incline at idle.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
Oil pressure, see what the gauge reads at idle and under driving conditions, if it's low at idle and higher during a drive, that's one main thing that will cause noise to come and go.
Oil oressure is great. It's only does it if it on a incline or sitting for along time. It does get louder then I like or care for a noise coming from a motor.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
LSx's are loud engines anyway. But, yeah, sounds like an oiling issue on the lifters, because it happens on an incline at idle.
That's what I'm thinking, But this is the first LS1 that I have owned. I have alot of freinds in SFFBA.net with LS1's and I never noticed any sounds like that. Hell I have an LT1 with Comp Pro mag R/R's and they never got that loud. A bad lifter will do it. I wondering if rod knock sounds different in a LS1. I don't know. I'm going to change the lifters out and see if thats it. In time anyways. If it breaks then they will fix it under the warrantie. Those d**ks where like " Oh they all make that noise" I was like the hell they do! Dealerships don't want to get denided from the warrantie company and have to deal with the customer. Whatever..
Old 04-07-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like piston slap, I could be wrong because I've never encountered any, but if it is then it's nothing to worry about. It's just kinda annoying while the engine is warming up. The slap goes away when the engine is at running temp though.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Bomber Z: whats up? I also tread on the Sffba.net forum, not much since I had to move to AZ for the military. Known Booty and Adam(Magnus) for quite a few years.

It sounds like piston slap. However, try letting the car sit on level ground overnight and start it. If the noise is not there or as great, then you 'might' have an issue with oil pressure and lifters taking a bit to pump up.

Ski
Old 04-07-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

www.pistonslap.com