Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smoking at idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 11:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Default smoking at idle

Would bad valve seals cause smoking after a car idles for a while? I just installed the ms3 and changed my springs and seals. I also have not tuned the car yet, its running really rich at idle. I am going to pull off the valve covers and try to see between the springs. It doesnt smoke on startup after sitting over night, just after it has been idling for awhile.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this will help, but I was just recently looking for a solution to a problem that seemed like a vacuum leak. I have an LSX intake and heard they leak, so I swapped it out with an LS6 manifold and still had the same problem, but found the issue. When I put the LSX manifold back on I was doing some idle tuning, because my LTFT's were going poisitive at idle. I had been running the car and starting it for about 2 hours when I noticed blue smoke coming from the exhaust. Not plumes, but some blue smoke. When I reved it, it got worse! I thought I lost a seal or a ring. It turned out I left the valve cover to throttle body PCV hose off the valve cover and was getting a leak into the manifold. I don't know why I was getting a LOT of oil into the intake from this, but repluging it and a couple of romps and it's fine now.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If your not smoking at startup, I wouldn't suspect the seals.

Also, you say it is really rich.

I would fix that first.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine smoked like that as well. When I pulled my stock heads off I could rock a few valves back and forth on each head. My seals where new, the guides were worn.

Try to get the tune closer first though, like already said.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:10 PM
9 Second Club

Well its the valve seals. I guess I didnt get them seated on good enough. I did not tap them on, I just press them on by hand. Its not in the tune. Oh, well live and learn. New seals will be here thurs.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:27 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Considering they weren't tapped on, I'd definitely say it's a valve seal problem. A new set is leaving to you this afternoon via UPS 3-Day Select. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns and how it does once you get it tuned this weekend!

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance
Old 04-25-2006, 03:28 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.
Considering they weren't tapped on, I'd definitely say it's a valve seal problem. A new set is leaving to you this afternoon via UPS 3-Day Select. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns and how it does once you get it tuned this weekend!

Trevor
Thanks alot for the help. You can't beat that for customer service.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

i had the same problem changed the valve seals and the problem was fixed
Old 04-25-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, when you pushed them on by hand, did you feel them hit home? You can do it by hand with a 1/2" deep socket, but your palm will be sore as hell afterwards. Youll feel them almost "snap" into place. Its more of a pushing on them until they finally overcome the press fit and the seal is pushed home against the guide. If you arent certain, then pull the valve covers and check.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:08 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.

Trevor
The valves seals didnt show up today?