Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are the Dart heads worth the extra money?
YES-Dart's are much better!
45.02%
NO-PRC LS6 CNC heads are good enough!
54.98%
Voters: 331. You may not vote on this poll

Are Darts worth $600 more than TSP's LS6 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Someone posted in another thread, that the Dart heads use a 98 valve seal to clear the dual springs.
Dart doesn't, they use a US Seal valve seal that looks very much like the exhaust seal on the stock 02+ LS1. TSP installed the 98 type seal.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it just the seals ,nothing major
Old 05-08-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleting PCV will pressurise the crankcase and therefore heads forcing oil into places it doesnt normally go. Unless you run an open breather. (naughty for emissions)
Also oil in the intake suggests its not the heads as the air flows FROM intake into heads not the other way around. Also heads are angled downwards towards the valve, further pointing to an issue upstream.
Maybe try an oil catchcan?
Old 05-08-2006, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil

Looking at the pictures posted on here, the oil is being pulled through the intake port, therefore it is getting into the runner more upstream, intake gasket sealing, ahs anyone looked at any of that?? With the porting how does that all line up, is the bottom of the gasket not sealing allowing for the intake to pull oil from the valley?

This needs to be attacked from and engine builders standpoint, eliminate the obvious, and the figure it out, dont just start throwing parts at it, saying oh its the heads...

I dont think it is the bolts, or the seals, that intake tract is full, and it is clearly coming from upstream, something is odd there. Someone else posted their intake also had oil in it clearly then it isnt the heads, if the oil is that far upstream, it isnt going to reverse against the air flow.

There has also been mention of checking the lines on the intakes, as if not hooked up right the throttle body will suck oil directly from the valley, has anyone looked into that??

Again heads have water flowing through them not oil, the rocker and spring area has oil that will hold 1.3 ozs. before draining back, same as the 243 castings, the oil hits the drainback before the oil gets even halfway up the seal.. The viton seal used on the Dart heads has a .280 inner diameter, the valve has a diamter of roughly .320 so there is plenty of interference fit.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dart331Stroker
Looking at the pictures posted on here, the oil is being pulled through the intake port, therefore it is getting into the runner more upstream, intake gasket sealing, ahs anyone looked at any of that?? With the porting how does that all line up, is the bottom of the gasket not sealing allowing for the intake to pull oil from the valley?

This needs to be attacked from and engine builders standpoint, eliminate the obvious, and the figure it out, dont just start throwing parts at it, saying oh its the heads...

I dont think it is the bolts, or the seals, that intake tract is full, and it is clearly coming from upstream, something is odd there. Someone else posted their intake also had oil in it clearly then it isnt the heads, if the oil is that far upstream, it isnt going to reverse against the air flow.

There has also been mention of checking the lines on the intakes, as if not hooked up right the throttle body will suck oil directly from the valley, has anyone looked into that??

Again heads have water flowing through them not oil, the rocker and spring area has oil that will hold 1.3 ozs. before draining back, same as the 243 castings, the oil hits the drainback before the oil gets even halfway up the seal.. The viton seal used on the Dart heads has a .280 inner diameter, the valve has a diamter of roughly .320 so there is plenty of interference fit.

Thanks
Wouldn't you see oil all over the throtlle body blades too then if it's getting sucked up into the intake? I've taken my NW 90mm throttle body off several times already since the motor has been running, and there has been NO sign, not one dark spot on the front or back side of the blade, and I didn't see any oil at the front of the intake (FAST 90mm).
Old 05-08-2006, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by abranti2
Ok this could end up being a stupid question...but are the dart heads being sold by BYUN and TSP the same? There's a $600 difference between the two for the assembled version. Here's the sites:

http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=625&catid=40

http://byunspeed.com/product_info.ph...93c3aeb7c9b858

Thanks guys
TSP beat Byun's "gaurenteed low price" by 219 bux!
Old 05-08-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Just hearing about the oil in the intakes... thats not a head issue if the bottom of the intakes have oil. Like its been stated oil will not travel against the flow of the air. Sounds like PCV issues to me. Id doubt its the intake to head seal around the valley if the intake has oil in it also. I had the intake gasket leak near t he valley on a first gen SBC and the intake was clean other then a tiny bit of oil taht wicked into the very edge of the port. The intake port had oil mostly along the bottom but it did spread around the port some as it got further into the port.

Sounds like a catch can or breather is in order here. YOur intakes are slurping oil out of the valve covers for some reason like a 5 year old with his first ever icee.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
Wouldn't you see oil all over the throtlle body blades too then if it's getting sucked up into the intake? I've taken my NW 90mm throttle body off several times already since the motor has been running, and there has been NO sign, not one dark spot on the front or back side of the blade, and I didn't see any oil at the front of the intake (FAST 90mm).
Wouldnt really build up on the throttle body blade so much as the airs rushing past and pulling the oil with it. Whats the inside of the intake look like? Look at the floor the roof and the sides. Where is there oil?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
Wouldnt really build up on the throttle body blade so much as the airs rushing past and pulling the oil with it. Whats the inside of the intake look like? Look at the floor the roof and the sides. Where is there oil?
Well I plan to pull my intake tonight, it's a FAST so it's EASY to split in half and we can see the entire thing to see if there is oil if any in there. I have only seen the front opening when the TB was off, and I saw nothing, and the TB was VERY VERY clean, no oil whatsoever.

It's frustrating as hell to spend a tank of money on this car and still have to worry about little crap like this
Old 05-08-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Once its all said and done youll be one happy camper though. You gotta jump through some firey loops to get to the kinda power levels some of us run at. In the end its all worth it though.

Id be very intrested at what the inside of that intake looks like. Get some pics if you can if you find any oil in there. Seems there is talk of stock out of box dart heads consuming oil now too. So who knows what might really be going on. Looking in that intake will give you a good idea of where to look for your problem though.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
Once its all said and done youll be one happy camper though. You gotta jump through some firey loops to get to the kinda power levels some of us run at. In the end its all worth it though.

Id be very intrested at what the inside of that intake looks like. Get some pics if you can if you find any oil in there. Seems there is talk of stock out of box dart heads consuming oil now too. So who knows what might really be going on. Looking in that intake will give you a good idea of where to look for your problem though.
I guess, 500rwhp isn't that hard anymore, if there is no oil in the intake, I don't know what the deal is. I will see if there is any puddled on the valves like that other guy has. It's all **** though, as this shouldn't happen in the first place, $1900 for heads, plus labor costs, wait time (4-5months), and now I have to trouble shoot them, very discouraging
Old 05-09-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Hey Orange Peel, are your Darts the out-of-boxes or ported? Sorry if I missed something a few posts back.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
Hey Orange Peel, are your Darts the out-of-boxes or ported? Sorry if I missed something a few posts back.
They are PRC Stage 3 ported with 2.08/1.60 valves, and the PRC dual spring package, no biggie on missing it, there's only a million posts to sift through now
Old 05-09-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Haha ya I know. I got bored and read through it all even though I don't own a set of Darts. Lots of good info in this thread!

Does anyone know if the out-of-box 205s will have PV issues with a 'Rex cam?? If so, I may just say **** it and pay a shop to install the heads and flycut...
Old 05-13-2006, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

Jason, I am local (lubbock) and would love to see some in person results w/ the head swap. Just let me know when you guys are doing the testing and I will be there. THanks Again. Ricky
Old 05-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Patrick G
The Darts are a clean sheet design and have overcome most of the limitations of a factory casting. I would recommend buying the as-cast Darts and not the CNC'd versions. The as-cast Darts have put down consistent numbers on the dyno and are a solid value. When Dart comes up with their own CNC'd version, I might change my opinion though.
When someone does a well done CNC version they will be better.

Bret
Old 05-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.
SVT,

I'm going to dyno them together on the same engine, same dyno, same day. We'll know how they compare very soon We'll make sure the dyno runs start low in the rpm range to see how they compare across the board.

hey what happened?

POST UP THE #'s !!
Old 05-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Teching In

TTT for TSP
Old 05-21-2006, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Numbers????? TTT, I am sure trevor will pull through, eventually, like always! I think he was been pretty busy though!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:58 AM

Maybe they did not come out as they had hoped.

Quick Reply: Are Darts worth $600 more than TSP's LS6 heads?