Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Are the Dart heads worth the extra money?
YES-Dart's are much better!
45.02%
NO-PRC LS6 CNC heads are good enough!
54.98%
Voters: 331. You may not vote on this poll

Are Darts worth $600 more than TSP's LS6 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i like a ls6 h/c setup for the money
Old 04-27-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
We're all shocked that you don't like any other CNC cylinder heads besides AFR's. We would like to extend an invitation to you personally, Patrick, to join us on the engine dyno in the next few weeks. We will be dynoing the as-cast Darts, AFR 205's, and a set of our PRC 1.0 LS6 heads on a stock short-block. It would be nice to have a few more witnesses to see the cylinder head swap procedure, as well as all of the results, no matter what they are. It would be even better for you to be there since you're so fond of the AFR's, and continually have the need to down our products. Feel free to give us a call if you'd like to be there, and we'll let you know on the exact date and time.

It's a pretty simple comparison. Your always quick to down our cylinder heads like they won't make good hp... Here's your chance to get data to support your claim.

The PRC stage 1 LS6 heads flow great air flow for the $$ & make very nice power gains.
Got any Holiday Inns close by?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
Galen,

Currently we aren't offering anymore cnc ported Dart heads. Maybe at some point we will do them again, but currently we've stopped the CNC porting of Dart castings.

How come???? Is there a problem? What about the people that bought them? C'mon, let's here it.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Launching!

The heads are all ready making a name for themselves, i think they work well will the MS3. I'm thinking of pulling my heads and milling them some, changing my exhaust and headers so these heads can show there full potental. I know everbody is waiting to see what they can do with a custom grind but i'm not expecting number much better than the MS3 if any. Don't forget i have a MS3 so i'm bias.

Steve
Old 04-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zipdog
How come???? Is there a problem? What about the people that bought them? C'mon, let's here it.

I'm just guessing but i think they are pretty busy with the LS6 heads at this time, Plus i think Patric had mentioned earlier they are pretty good out of the box.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you keep making the CNC Darts, I'll buy a pair.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I want to see the results of the dyno session the comparison should be very interesting..and much needed by the LS1 faithful..
Old 04-27-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id say it depends on the application. For a big motor, its clearly the dart 225s that win. But for a mid cammed street 346, the ls6's look nice, especially for the money. I doubt youd see a double digit gain by running darts over those ls6s.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Jason, will you guys be doing a Stage 3 with the LS6 heads? I know with the 12cc Mahle pistons, a 72cc or milled down to 67cc head provides no compression for the big cams that go in a 402.

Without the Darts and no LS6 casting, that limits piston selection to the Diamond flat tops.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

When is this comparison happening? Please give more details. I want a good reason to spend less money on a product that is just as good as the expensive stuff.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
I was up all night last night reading through the Dart 205 and 225 posts made in the last 6 months. I haven't really seen any flow numbers that impressed me, but when on a car with a good cam and supporting mods I've seen some real impressive power (440+hp).

Would you all say the Dart 205/225 heads are worth the $600 or so more dollars over TSP's LS6 head? And are the CNC Dart heads worth the extra money to get them CNCd? Wouldn't that change the runners?

Does anyone know if the PV clearance is stock on the Dart heads? I'd still like to run a larger cam with a set of 225s but don't know if that would be an issue.
I haven't read throught this whole thread but my here is my personal opinion:

If you have a stock cubed motor, you will sacrafice more from the 205 rather then the 225's. The 205's will give you more power down low, and while most cams take away power from that area, it is usually a good idea to equal things out a bit. I have been really impressed by what I have seen from these dart heads..... comparing flow numbers is like comparing dyno numbers, so just keep that in mind.

You ask the question if dart is worth the money over TSP..... it all depend on your budget...... IMO the dart head is a better head then the TSP, but they are in 2 completly price ranges which equals them out quite abit. I have seen very impressive numbers from the TSP heads..... Figure out the total cost of each set-up (including spring upgrades, valves, etc.) If you feel you can use that $600 to put towards a rear-end then it might be worth saving a few bucks..... everyone's build is different and everyone handles them differently.....

Again I hope I didn't jump out of line and repost anything, I didn't read this whole thread
Old 04-28-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

^---- Off topic but your hoods is badass
Old 04-28-2006, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

***off topic answer*** VFN 3" SS
Old 04-28-2006, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by zipdog

i had the darts cnced from tsp and teh pv clearence with them was 0 with my Ms3 so i sent them back... i am not gettign the ls6's. Jason told me they were having smoke problems with them and that there valve drop was diff. on seprate heads. thats teh reason i got out of him and he deff. seems to no his ****!
Old 04-28-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by steveb
The heads are all ready making a name for themselves, i think they work well will the MS3. I'm thinking of pulling my heads and milling them some, changing my exhaust and headers so these heads can show there full potental. I know everbody is waiting to see what they can do with a custom grind but i'm not expecting number much better than the MS3 if any. Don't forget i have a MS3 so i'm bias.

Steve
I would love to see what your combo makes milling them to 59cc and a .040
cometic, with valve reliefs of course. I'm sure the numbers would make you very happy.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ksett
I would love to see what your combo makes milling them to 59cc and a .040
cometic, with valve reliefs of course. I'm sure the numbers would make you very happy.
I'm going to drive her at the current power level for a few months then i'll perform the mods listed above. I would hope to see atleast 30hp and 15ft. .

For the record i have no smoking problem and haven't heard anything of this problem and i have spoken with Trevor and Jason this week..

Steve
Old 04-28-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SVT THIS
a Patrick G torque cam
What the hell is that
Old 04-29-2006, 07:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by steveb
I'm going to drive her at the current power level for a few months then i'll perform the mods listed above. I would hope to see atleast 30hp and 15ft. .

For the record i have no smoking problem and haven't heard anything of this problem and i have spoken with Trevor and Jason this week..

Steve
The smoking he is referring to was with the Darts. It was one person and it was never confirmed what the problem was. I disassembled mine to hand sand the ports and smooth them. I carefully removed the valve seals and re-used them. I have zero smoking problems or oil control problems with my Dart heads. I have a feeling that there is more to this smoking story that never came out, because from what I understand they were also pushing the valve cover gaskets out of the valve covers which indicates more serious issues.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
What the hell is that

Go to the "torque coming out my ears thread" and you will see the specs on Patrick G's cam
Old 05-04-2006, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The smoking he is referring to was with the Darts. It was one person and it was never confirmed what the problem was. I disassembled mine to hand sand the ports and smooth them. I carefully removed the valve seals and re-used them. I have zero smoking problems or oil control problems with my Dart heads. I have a feeling that there is more to this smoking story that never came out, because from what I understand they were also pushing the valve cover gaskets out of the valve covers which indicates more serious issues.
Hate to say...I am the 3rd one with smoking problems with the Stage 2 ported Darts. This is my daily driver and I am going through about 1/2 quart per day. I pulled the intake off and there is oil sitting on top of each valve. I deleted the entire PCV system with no effect. I have absolutely no noticable blowby. I removed the rocker bolts and re-applied sealant twice. TSP is shipping me a new set of ported LS6 heads early next week and the Darts are going back to them. TSP has been very helpful and is doing everything in their power to set things right by me.

Galen

Quick Reply: Are Darts worth $600 more than TSP's LS6 heads?