37.63%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

PCV Deleted Already?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mike s.
Ditto on the LS6 PCV system, no oil problems since in connects with the valley not the valve cover. I think it looks cleaner than stock LS1 or breathers, if I had those GMPP valve covers I would not ugly them up with ricy breathers either, but thats just my .02. How much did those set you back, and what did you do for coil pack relocation? Got pics?

I work at a Chevy dealer and got a great deal on the valve covers..they are not pricey at all..if my memory serves they were like $102 a piece...I think that I got the first pair that was availble to the general public..when I saw them on the cover of Hot Rod I had to have them...they were not available at that time... but I kept checking with GM every week and the computer finally showed a price for them but none available..I put in an order anyway and they showed up in 4 or 5 days...I'll post some pics of the engine..A LS series engine really looks good with out all that crap all over the valve covers

The coil pacs are bundled together in four coil bricks and mounted up under the cowl on each side..used LT1 plug wires shortened to fit the new location..I have a friend who is getting ready to market the coil relocation kits..if you need more info just let me know and I'll hook you up with him since he is not a paid vendor on here yet..just send me a PM

Last edited by slt200mph; 06-29-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must clarify my vote, I removed my stock PVC system, but changed to the LS6 PVC setup. Works like a charm.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brian2001SS
I must clarify my vote, I removed my stock PVC system, but changed to the LS6 PVC setup. Works like a charm.

Are you running any type of breather or are you relying on the LS6 pvc from the valley cover to the throttle body for your engine breathing..
Old 06-28-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Are you running any type of breather or are you relying on the LS6 pvc from the valley cover to the throttle body for your engine breathing..
Just what you said. I am relying on the LS6 PVC system to do all the work, but I am one of the lucky ones, my SS has never burned a lick of oil, never.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PCV is back on my car with assistance from a electric scavange pump, crank case pressure is teh sux
Old 07-09-2006, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

i'm using a ls6 pcv system, but i'm still getting some oil in the intake, can i use a breather on both valve covers and cap the valley tube coming under the intake.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jason5
i'm using a ls6 pcv system, but i'm still getting some oil in the intake, can i use a breather on both valve covers and cap the valley tube coming under the intake.
Why don't you run a catch can/seperator and use the engine vaccume still?

My car has a breather in addition to normal PCV, in theory air should get sucked into the crankcase in most situations, when im in boost a electric scavange pump supplies vaccume to the crankcase.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Banned

PCV deleted mainly to get rid of clutter... Single breather, left the crossover in the back.

Was a 421 rwhp cam-only weekend car, Incon turbos are being installed in my spare time after work. ~Joshua

Old 07-19-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is gone....simple and cheap way.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2 SSlow
Mine is gone....simple and cheap way.

?? what did u do? where do u buy that breather that screws into the oil fill cap thing? is that other breather with the tube on it for the drivers side?

-Blaze
Old 07-19-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smartass6885
?? what did u do? where do u buy that breather that screws into the oil fill cap thing? is that other breather with the tube on it for the drivers side?

-Blaze

Autozone oil cap $4
Autozone big breather $11
Autozone small breather $10
Vacuum caps $4

Drill apporx 1" hole in new cap, force breather into new hole in cap...remove pcv system, cap off all holes, done. Then i just put that small brather on teh pcv hose from teh driver side cover.

Less than $30 PCV delete...
Old 07-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I think you can get away doing it even cheaper... if you connect the drivers side valve cover to the passengers with a piece of hose the same size as the stock pcv hose, it will equeal the pressure out between the 2 valve covers, and then you'l only need the one breather... and it also solves the capping issue on the large PCV fitting on the passengers in the back. That's what I plan to do myself.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I think you can get away doing it even cheaper... if you connect the drivers side valve cover to the passengers with a piece of hose the same size as the stock pcv hose, it will equeal the pressure out between the 2 valve covers, and then you'l only need the one breather... and it also solves the capping issue on the large PCV fitting on the passengers in the back. That's what I plan to do myself.

That only works if you like the look of the ugly stock valve covers and all the clutter that comes with them..
Old 07-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Race your car!

I'm leavign my stock valve covers on for a reason... I'm on a budget, and I just can't justify swapping them when there's no actual performance gain to be had.. plus, the heads I have have a raised valvecover groove in them so there's no clearance issues regardless what rockers I'm running.

I know the billet ones look real nice, but I'm lookign at those, like repainting my car, once it's running at the level that I want it at, I'll worry about stuff like that. Until then, the stockers can stay on, they do the job just fine. Plus, once you gut the a/c and the pcv and all that crap out of the engine bay, there's so much less clutter from that alone that the coil packs on the covers really doesn't seem all that bad.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm leavign my stock valve covers on for a reason... I'm on a budget, and I just can't justify swapping them when there's no actual performance gain to be had.. plus, the heads I have have a raised valvecover groove in them so there's no clearance issues regardless what rockers I'm running.

I know the billet ones look real nice, but I'm lookign at those, like repainting my car, once it's running at the level that I want it at, I'll worry about stuff like that. Until then, the stockers can stay on, they do the job just fine. Plus, once you gut the a/c and the pcv and all that crap out of the engine bay, there's so much less clutter from that alone that the coil packs on the covers really doesn't seem all that bad.

It is 100 + degrees in hot 'lana jawja 2day.. ..trying to live down here without an a\c is life threating ...... mine looks pretty clean under the hood with the a\c still there..and beleive me when I tell ya ... it aint goin no where either..... to me the LS series engine is butt ugly with all that crap all over it...not like the good ol SBC chevy which is a very hansom engine...I'd never have a street car without a\c... no billet pieces here ... I like the cast aluminum GMPP ones better..with me not every mod has to make the car go faster..these were only $102 a piece and worth twice that price to me in the way they look..I got lots of compliments on the power tour on the engine..
Old 07-20-2006, 04:11 PM
Race your car!

If they had a set that said pontiac on it, I might, but putting a valvecover that says chevrolet under the hood of a pontiac is just sacrilidge to me. I hear ya on the a/c but here in CT, I've honestly only used it about a dozen times since I bought the car, and the first summer I used it almost as a daily, put 7600 miles on it in 5 months. To me, the weight savings is worth it... not only that, but with a set of kirkey alum seats on the way, I see no need for a/c, I threw luxury out the window when I decided to put those in when the cage goes in. Plus a car with no swingouts, and a removable steering wheel planned..... a/c seemsd kinda foolish to leave in. Maybe once the car is in the 9's I might toss it back in, just to annoy a few people.. but that's a big IF.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

They have not had a pontiac engine in them for decades..good thing too..pontiac motors were pretty much boat anchors anyway ....these cars are heavy as hell..even when you gut them they still come in 2800-2900 lbs..that is a overweight race car ...
Old 07-21-2006, 04:39 AM
Race your car!

I know the engine's aren't pontiac's... just irks me to see an old school pontiac form the 60's with a set of chevrolet valvecovers in it.... if you''re gonna do the swap, at least just put a chrome set on, don't advertise it. Someone makes a set that just has ls1 cast into it, I'd go for that.

Our cars are heavy...... kinda sucks, but we can make enough power to make up for that no problem.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know the engine's aren't pontiac's... just irks me to see an old school pontiac form the 60's with a set of chevrolet valvecovers in it.... if you''re gonna do the swap, at least just put a chrome set on, don't advertise it. Someone makes a set that just has ls1 cast into it, I'd go for that.

Our cars are heavy...... kinda sucks, but we can make enough power to make up for that no problem.

What kind of racing are you going to do with it??..it sounds like your cutting up a nice car....
Old 07-21-2006, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a 3/8" vacuum line in the back connecting both valve covers, capped off the elbow facing forward on the passenger side and throttle body and am installing a breather tonight in the oil cap. I had to settle for a $10 APC breather since none of the local parts stores had any other decently sized breather in stock in the last few days (Autozone, Advance, Napa, Murray's is where I bought the APC piece). It has a red top on it, but I'm spraying that black. Nothing great for looks, but it'll keep crap out of my intake.

I didn't pony up for the LS6 valley cover when I put the new engine in

Quick Reply: PCV Deleted Already?