Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summer Engine Build---Opinions/Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006 | 03:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Question Summer Engine Build---Opinions/Recommendations

I'm getting close to buying the parts for the build I'm planning for late summer. I've been researching and reading up on this for quite some time, it's amazing the great info you can find here on LS1(even with Search being limited).

Here is a list of the parts/setup I am currently considering:

http://www.thunderracing.com/wishlis...view&wlid=6296

This is a setup for a daily driver 2000Z/28 A4 2.73 car that must be California smog legal.

In addition to the parts in the above link the car will have a Fuddle 3400/2.1STR torque convertor(hence the cooler and shift kit).

After doing the install(my first time) I plan on having the convertor and cooler installed at a local shop and then having the car dyno tuned.

Please tell me what you think of this setup and point out anything I'm forgetting. I don't want to realize halfway into the teardown I forgot a key part!

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2006 | 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

looks good! when you have it tuned also tell them to lower the fan turn on temp, so that you get the benefit of the cooler thermostat.

Also, you may want to get the 7.425" pushrods - some ppl have found that it quiets down the valvetrain (makes up for difference in base circle of aftermarket cam)
Old 05-08-2006 | 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, or dnt even get pushrods. Just check the preload with your stock ones, and go from there. I am not saying use the stock ones to drive on, just to check. If you get to short, you will get that sewing machine sound, and not be using the cams full range.
Old 05-08-2006 | 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping that when I talk with the guys at TR they will be able to point me in the right direction on pushrod length also.

What about timing chains? Should I just get a stock style replacement or go for the double roller?

Also, I was just going to get their "Head and Cam gasket package" that includes new head bolts...but I'm wondering is there a real need/benefit to upgrade to APR studs?

Lastly, what do you think about having porting done on the heads? Worth the extra $500? I've seen alot of dynos and threads on these heads, they seem to flow great, but the threads rarely specify wether or not they were ported.
Old 07-03-2006 | 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs up

TTT Things are getting closer, so one more lookover from all you knowldegable folks.

Thanks.
Old 07-03-2006 | 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Don't get that intake. You can find them on here for around $300.
Old 07-03-2006 | 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought that factory LS6 intakes had no EGR provision?

That's the reason I was going to get the SLP modified one, I need EGR to pass Cali visual smog check.

Trending Topics

Old 07-03-2006 | 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
I thought that factory LS6 intakes had no EGR provision?

That's the reason I was going to get the SLP modified one, I need EGR to pass Cali visual smog check.
Ehh... There's ways around it. Just look at my car!
Old 07-05-2006 | 04:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT for the last time...c'mon kind of underwhelmed, how hard is it to take a look at the list and give a comment one way or the other folks?

I'm ordering by Monday. Thanks.