Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Finished: 428 RWHP 400lbs Torque

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Project Finished: 428 RWHP 400lbs Torque

Just finished my heads/cam/headers install and the rest of the stuff is in the sig. Just want to thank everyone on this site for all of the advise from choosing parts and lots of advise from which might seem like stupid questions. Just got tuned at Carolina Automasters by Jeff Creech who is an awesome guy and runs a great operation and took the time to get my car right. It made 428 RWHP and 408 FTLBs of torque from a 224 cam and I was extremly happy with that. Also to Forcefed High Performance for a great set of budget heads, and the Comp Cams tech guys who helped me select the valve train and other pieces. The project went very well, I took my time and checked everything twice, and it all worked and fired right up when I was through. And man is it FAST!!! I sware if it had wings it would fly. Great driveability too, and 25MPG on the way home, couldnt be any better. Anyone in the Tidewater, VA area who needs a hand with and LS1, dont hesitate to ask for some help, I would be more than happy to do what I can. Thanks to everyone.

Last edited by ssbodyman; 05-12-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

Very nice!!! Sounds like fun...hope mine turns out similar....What kind of dyno is it??
Old 05-13-2006, 01:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbodyman
Just finished my heads/cam/headers install and the rest of the stuff is in the sig. Just want to thank everyone on this site for all of the advise from choosing parts and lots of advise from which might seem like stupid questions. Just got tuned at Carolina Automasters by Jeff Creech who is an awesome guy and runs a great operation and took the time to get my car right. It made 428 RWHP and 408 FTLBs of torque from a 224 cam and I was extremly happy with that. Also to Forcefed High Performance for a great set of budget heads, and the Comp Cams tech guys who helped me select the valve train and other pieces. The project went very well, I took my time and checked everything twice, and it all worked and fired right up when I was through. And man is it FAST!!! I sware if it had wings it would fly. Great driveability too, and 25MPG on the way home, couldnt be any better. Anyone in the Tidewater, VA area who needs a hand with and LS1, dont hesitate to ask for some help, I would be more than happy to do what I can. Thanks to everyone.
good numbers. Another proof that matched parts yield awsome results without huge cams.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:02 AM
TECH Addict

Impressive #'s out of 224 camshaft

Congrats buddy

peace
Old 05-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Staging Lane

The dyno was a Dynojet which I think is one of the better ones. I hear those Mustang dyno's give you higher #'s. I was after real world #'s. I was very surprised about the final HP results, my goal was 400 RWHP so coming out with 428 RWHP was awesome. Now I have to think about clutch/12-bolt and gears. I guess its a vicious circle and the spending never stops, but man is it fun. When for a ride last night and hit it up alittle in 1st and 2nd gear for the first time and holy #&*@$!!!, it really goes. Great power in 3rd and 4th too. Definetly the power band is in the higher RPM range but it comes on STRONG!!! I need to think about a different catback system because with the headers/ORY and the Borla, its nasty loud and not too neighborhood friendly, but we can worry about that some other time.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

SS-

Great job. Enjoyed talking to you the other night. As soon as you get back from your trip, I'd like to get together and go for a ride. If ya want, we can put together a little impromtu cruise. I have a few friends on the ship that drive nice F-Bodies.

Great numbers...by the way.

Stay in touch...

Frat
Old 05-13-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ssbodyman
The dyno was a Dynojet which I think is one of the better ones. I hear those Mustang dyno's give you higher #'s. I was after real world #'s. I was very surprised about the final HP results, my goal was 400 RWHP so coming out with 428 RWHP was awesome. Now I have to think about clutch/12-bolt and gears. I guess its a vicious circle and the spending never stops, but man is it fun. When for a ride last night and hit it up alittle in 1st and 2nd gear for the first time and holy #&*@$!!!, it really goes. Great power in 3rd and 4th too. Definetly the power band is in the higher RPM range but it comes on STRONG!!! I need to think about a different catback system because with the headers/ORY and the Borla, its nasty loud and not too neighborhood friendly, but we can worry about that some other time.
I agree with ya regarding Dynojet is the better one but Actually Mustang Dyno's giving lower numbers than DynoJet..about 6-10 percent diff.

peace
Old 05-13-2006, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats man! I just would have thought it would have been a little higher with the Fast 90 setup? Was it portmatched?
Old 05-13-2006, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

those are some nice #'s and a small cam too. if your after REAL WORLD #'s(as you stated) go to a mustang dyno. on one of my old set up's i got 405hp on a dyno jet. a week later i went to a mustang dyno and got 370hp. i was mad but now i make 463hp 413.8 tq on a mustang dyno. i'm not busting your ***** so please don't take my post to you as that.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

nice numbers, now take it to the strip! As previously mentioned a load bearing dyno like the mustang will give you lower numbers. If you like to race like me it's better to quote those numbers, as most guys quote dynojet numbers.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just finished my H/C - Stg II LS6 heads, TSP 224R cam, FAST90/NW90. STOCK Firehawk catback.

Dyno'ed on BOTH a Mustang and a Dynojet, 4 days apart.

Mustang: 427 rwhp
Dynojet: 430 rwhp

So don't think that ALL Mustangs "dyno lower", or for that matter ALL Dynojets are artificially "higher".
Old 05-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Wow! I thought the Mustang Dyno's were higher. Just from my looking around on this site. I am happy one way or another as my goal is above what my wildest expectations were anyway. If I find a Mustang in my area, I will give it a try and see the difference.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

The intake was not portmatched because I called F.A.S.T. and they told me that if you were running stock displacement, dont worry about port matching or porting so I didnt. And I have to say that I think the reason that my #'s were so high is because of the F.A.S.T. 90/90 set up. My only disapointment of the whole project is that the low end is sluggish but when you get up in the RPM's, it comes alive quickly and its like a rocketship so the powerband is after 3800 or so. We got into this conversation at Carolina Automasters and the end result was that the F.A.S.T. intake was not the best bang for the buck, but it was the best bang if that makes any sense. And if you want to upgrade and go bigger cubes in the future, you will have to have one. All I know is that is looks damn good on the engine, it breathes great up top, and with my set-up, I think it made me alot more RWHP. And as for going to the strip, that is going to be soon, but I need a better clutch and have to worry about the rear end holding up so I am hesitant to push it too hard until I make some more upgrades. Hell, the body twists big time now and my car is way to nice to risk breaking something so I have to take it easy. Its not so bad dropping to 3rd at highway speed, but off the line, it worries me somewhat because I have a T-top car and believe me, you can hear it creaking. Just alot more to do.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

I just got my car finished by Jeff @ CAm just this past week. Got the 4.10 gears so Ill have to wat till he gets back from Indy to get it properly tuned.. only has a regular baseline one for now. I can't tell if you got diff gears or not, but I think you will love new gears. I got a slightly larger cam, but seems the gears and pulley really help the car get to the higher rpms much quicker.

There was another thread somewhere that had mentioned the 90/90 set-up can hurt low-end but give really sick high end power esp with nicely flowing heads.. Since I didnt get heads I stayed with the ls6 intake from slp.

Last time I got the car tuned by jeff after my mac headers install.. He pulled an extra 16hp and nearly 30tq to the rear after his tune. So I am anxious for him to get back

Haha next year is the big rear-end ordeal *or so I hope it waits that long*. Will prolly have to get new gears for the 12 bolt or 9 inch, and then ill get new wheels and tires, and a new clutch as well. Maybe heads
Old 05-14-2006, 01:14 AM
Teching In

congrats...who tuned it?

can't wait till mines tuned and out..should be within days.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02RedHawk
Just finished my H/C - Stg II LS6 heads, TSP 224R cam, FAST90/NW90. STOCK Firehawk catback.

Dyno'ed on BOTH a Mustang and a Dynojet, 4 days apart.

Mustang: 427 rwhp
Dynojet: 430 rwhp

So don't think that ALL Mustangs "dyno lower", or for that matter ALL Dynojets are artificially "higher".
4 days apart are the key words there. A load bearing dyno will net 5% lower numbers at minimum than a dynojet, atmospheric conditions being the same for both pulls.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:11 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow nice numbers! I'd do back flips eating prairie oysters if mine pulls over 400. stg 2 Ported heads, 224, Stainless works LT's, but LS6 intake.

As for the rear? Go easy on the shifting and you should be fine to honk on it on the street.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by esoteric_path
congrats...who tuned it?

can't wait till mines tuned and out..should be within days.

Jeff Creech at Carolina Automasters in Durham, NC. Just go to www.carolinaautomasters.com and all of the info is there.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

BTW SSbodyman, you have a 222 cam (not a 224 cam)
Old 05-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Great number, but you're going to lose about 20 of those horses when you go to a 12-bolt.