Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew Headgasket on Dyno w/ 14.0 A/F, what can the headgasket take down with it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Blew Headgasket on Dyno w/ 14.0 A/F, what can the headgasket take down with it?

hey i got my car tuned today at the same place i got the motor built at and he said that it blew a headgasket, cuz of the 14.0 A/F ratio across the whole mf'in graph, what else can be wrong, cuz this ****** motor is brand mother ****** new.

appreciate the help

EDIT: By the way, i left the shop with a knock sensor problem code, could this make anything worse?
Old 05-24-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i doubt it... ideal afr is 14.7 so i mean its not that far off, sounds like there is another problem.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd re-post & tone down the emotional outburst. Not trying to rile you up even more. It's just that you'll get more feedback with details about what has happened. List the the motor build spec's., max. motor speed (RPM), injector size, timing advance,...etc.. Something is strange. 14:1 is lean @ WOT, but, there's more to it.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

14:1 is a little on the lean side, but it's not going to blow a gasket. If you have a knock sensor problem, maybe it was detonating
Old 05-24-2006, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit28
yeah i doubt it... ideal afr is 14.7 so i mean its not that far off, sounds like there is another problem.
yeah, at cruise not WOT. that is way lean for WOT. i dont think you hurt anything else, but you won't know for sure till the heads come off. what code you got ? P0332? if the tuner saw the A/F that lean, the fuel should have been adjusted before anymore runs were made. can you post up the dyno graph and A/F ratio graph were the gasket blew so we can see it?
Old 05-24-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Build spec's., compression, head bolts, were they tightened correctly, timing advance @ WOT.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1-450
I'd re-post & tone down the emotional outburst. Not trying to rile you up even more. It's just that you'll get more feedback with details about what has happened. List the the motor build spec's., max. motor speed (RPM), injector size, timing advance,...etc.. Something is strange. 14:1 is lean @ WOT, but, there's more to it.
Motor Build Specs:
2005 6.0 liter block, crank, rods and pistons. Stock hardware (head bolts, etc.)
Mellings Ported Oil Pump
TR224/112 cam
LS6 IM/Ported TB
Stock 99 injectors (to my knowledge)
Crane Billet Double Roller timing set, i believe the cam is set normally (straight up), but doesnt the cam have the advance ground into it? so im guessing its +4 because of the grind of the cam, but please correct if im wrong.

I didnt get a good enough look at the graph for max engine speed but i made 310/350 through the stock 10 bolt. Last time i dynoed with the same setup, i made 387/398.

that should cover everything, the motor ran VERY well during the break in period, with a normal amnt of oil in the catch can after 500 miles.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
yeah, at cruise not WOT. that is way lean for WOT. i dont think you hurt anything else, but you won't know for sure till the heads come off. what code you got ? P0332? if the tuner saw the A/F that lean, the fuel should have been adjusted before anymore runs were made. can you post up the dyno graph and A/F ratio graph were the gasket blew so we can see it?
P0327 actually, knock sensor bank 1. low circuit or no connectivity or sumn?

I dont have the dyno graph with the A/F graph beneath it, but he def. pointed out the 14.0 A/F to me after the first baseline pull. It was a fat 14.0 the entire graph, except there was a little time when it dipped into normal (down closer to the stoichiometrically (Sp?) correct line) somewhere in the high 3000-anywhere in the low 5000 rpms. Then 2 more pulls were attempted and then aborted prematurely i guess due to leaning out?, then a 4th and final complete pull was made. Then he told me the news.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

14.7 to 1 is stoichemetric. thats what the PCM shoots for during closed loop cruising. its NOT what you want when you are on the dyno. that is leaner than you want. when you pull the heads, check for warpage on the block's decks and the heads' machined surfaces. how did he diagnose the popped head gasket?
Old 05-25-2006, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes exactly, 14.7 is good for idle and cruising, but not WOT

he told me that his wife saw some liquid on the ground coming from the car and tasted it and said that it wasnt water, which led to the conclusion of blown headgasket.

He said that there was coolant in the oil?

the work done will be covered by warranty, so i will not be doing any of it.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuner sounds suspect, and wtf is wife doing drinking car fluids?
Old 05-25-2006, 07:14 AM
TECH Regular

yeah like i said IDEAL
Old 05-25-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Asmodeus
Tuner sounds suspect, and wtf is wife doing drinking car fluids?

i didn't want to be the first one to say it. never do a wot pull after you KNOW the A/F ratio is that lean. WTF was the tuner thinking. i guess everybody is entitled to a brain fart evry now and then. at least he's going to fix it free. good on him in that regard.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

99 injectors? If the same injectors were used to make 310/350 are used in the "new" set-up, 387/398 & the tuner couldn't get better than 14.0 in four pulls, then I'd look into injector size. There may have been room in the 99 injectors to fuel the "new" set-up. However, no way for us to what the injector efficiency is @ WOT. The injector size should be looked @.

+4 advance @ 14:1 A/F would likely pre-detonate (knock). Don't know for sure if this caused the gasket failure, but, it didn't help.

As mentioned above, check the heads for warpage or any gouges that may have lead to a coolant leak, check the injector size (am guessing he is maxed on injector efficiency). I'd ask the tuner to start w/ +0 advance until fuel curve is 12.8 on a dyno jet dyno, then go +2 & listen for knock, if not knock (pre-detonation) then +4 .
Good-luck.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:55 PM
Banned

Your A/F should be around 13.0:1 across the board. Whenever I put a car on the dyno I don't just whack it all the way to redline, we check a/f across the board. If I see a lean mixture for a span of around 800-1000rpm's I will dump fuel across the board into the program before making a full pass.

I honestly dont think a 14.0:1 a/f would blow the headgasket, could be improper installation, warped heads, etc. Could be a lot of factors actually. If there is coolant in the oil (a/k/a "milk-shaked") then it probably is the headgasket.

Check the heads for straightness and any damage, even the smallest chip/crack especially near a water jacket can cause a blown headgasket.

The shop should have a tool to test for leaks. We have the Snap-On and Matco testers to do these tests.

You said stock hardware, did they reuse your stock head bolts/gaskets??
Old 05-25-2006, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

Aren't stock 99 injectors 26#? Those are way too small, mang.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kraest
Aren't stock 99 injectors 26#? Those are way too small, mang.
hmmm ill ask about 42 lb injectors, i hear they are easy to tune.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jdoyle
hmmm ill ask about 42 lb injectors, i hear they are easy to tune.

If 99's are 26# injectors, you need to keep a close eye on the guy you have working on your car. When I mentioned the injectors as suspect above, had no idea what size 99's were. Maybe even have him fix it under warantee & then have someone else double check the work & do the dyno pulls.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1-450
If 99's are 26# injectors, you need to keep a close eye on the guy you have working on your car. When I mentioned the injectors as suspect above, had no idea what size 99's were. Maybe even have him fix it under warantee & then have someone else double check the work & do the dyno pulls.
that sounds good to me, but im sure will cost alot of money, correct?

could you recommend a way to go about having someone else double check the work and do the pulls, this seems to be a sort of gray area.

Last edited by jdoyle; 05-26-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TTPMatt
Your A/F should be around 13.0:1 across the board. Whenever I put a car on the dyno I don't just whack it all the way to redline, we check a/f across the board. If I see a lean mixture for a span of around 800-1000rpm's I will dump fuel across the board into the program before making a full pass.

I honestly dont think a 14.0:1 a/f would blow the headgasket, could be improper installation, warped heads, etc. Could be a lot of factors actually. If there is coolant in the oil (a/k/a "milk-shaked") then it probably is the headgasket.

Check the heads for straightness and any damage, even the smallest chip/crack especially near a water jacket can cause a blown headgasket.

The shop should have a tool to test for leaks. We have the Snap-On and Matco testers to do these tests.

You said stock hardware, did they reuse your stock head bolts/gaskets??
i like your procedure alot better.

to be honest, at first i did, and then i did some more investigation, and now i dont think it blew cuz of the A/f either. i believe improper installation to be the culprit, since what i and others saw of the workspace environment, was in no way a condition to be building motors in, it was too dirty. i doubt warped heads, but it could be, i had then milled by a good machine shop so im pretty sure the mating surfaces are flush. he mentioned coolant in the oil, so ya, milkshake.

i would love to check the heads, but he will be doing the work since it is warrantied, and i have work, then school, then back to work all 5 days of the week.

to my knowledge, they are brand new headbolts and gaskets. i sure hope he didnt re-use em.

Quick Reply: Blew Headgasket on Dyno w/ 14.0 A/F, what can the headgasket take down with it?