Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure 11-15 PSI at idle.. HELP! I'm Scared

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure 11-15 PSI at idle.. HELP! I'm Scared

I recently installed a 347 from forcefed high performance. Diamond 2cc pistons callies h beam rods. with a magic stick cam. Im also running a LS6 ported oil pump from Texas Speed. When we first started the car up until about 750 miles or so on the motor i never noticed the oil pressure low it was always at a constant 28-30psi at idle. However today i realize that when i am driving aroudn town at operating or above oberating temps the car cruises around 28-33 psi and as soon as i pull it out of gear and it begins to idle oil presure drops to 22 then slowly drops back to 15 and it will flucuate between 11-15psi. I'm also running mobil 1 10w-30 oil in the car. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. The oil pressure sending unit is brand new along with every other part in the motor. Any help would be appreciate im scared that my new motor is not goin to last much longer.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dont run it till you figure out what is wrong. tear it down
Old 05-25-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes low oil pressure can be the result of improper preload of the lifters.

Maybe this has changed since you have had a chance to "run" everything in.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Id say it could be either the oil pump o-ring or the oil pump itself if the engine isnt knocking....
Old 05-25-2006, 02:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea check that lil o ring its a 4 dollar part, sometimes there put in wrong or are just crappy...dont run it though at that low of a psi
Old 05-25-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the o-ring before you do anything as far as tearing the motor apart.

I've heard many times that if oil pressure slowly diminishes as engine temps climb to normal, more than likely the o-ring is not in there right.

I'd spend the $4, drop the pan and replace it and then see what it does.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:28 PM
Launching!

def. check the o-ring. I reused my old one and had same oil pressure. Make sure its new and you can use a little bit of silicone to hold it in place to prevent it moving around. Thats what i did. I have 50 warm idle now.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

my stock oil pump with mobil 1 5-40 ran around 42psi idle hot and when i am goin ***** out about 70psi hot. now with my ported ls6 pump w/ amsoil 0-30 i'm runnin 35 at hot idle and 50 when im all out. i know the o-ring is in there good and on correctly since i did it myself
Old 06-23-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

we got the engine back a week or so ago and torn down; there was evidence of metal going through the engine, all of the bearings are scored and crank has some minor scoring on the main and rod journals. NO bearings spun and crank cleaned up with a mild re-polish, the problem is due to cam walk. There is major scoring on the front of the cam retainer plate and the back of the cam timing gear, there is also some scuff marks on the cam side of the retainer plate, but it appears that the cam walked towards the rear and allowed the timing gear to sit against the retainer plate.
We sold this as a shortblock and did not install any of these parts, plus the engine changed hands and a cam bearing was changed after we sold it, so from where I sit this is in no way a warranty issue:
however since damage was minor, we are replacing the bearings and re-polishing the crank at no-charge.

I have attached some pics for those who may be interested in seeing them. In the first picture (circled) you can see a 3/4 inch long sliver that is about .005 thick that is almost separated and would probably ended up in the bearings as well
Attached Thumbnails Oil Pressure 11-15 PSI at idle.. HELP! I'm Scared-engine-damage-010-1.jpg   Oil Pressure 11-15 PSI at idle.. HELP! I'm Scared-engine-damage-008-1.jpg   Oil Pressure 11-15 PSI at idle.. HELP! I'm Scared-engine-damage-005-1.jpg   Oil Pressure 11-15 PSI at idle.. HELP! I'm Scared-engine-damage-001-1.jpg   Oil Pressure 11-15 PSI at idle.. HELP! I'm Scared-engine-damage-007-1.jpg  

Last edited by Demon SS; 06-23-2006 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Demon SS
we got the engine back a week or so ago and torn down; there was evidence of metal going through the engine, all of the bearings are scored and crank has some minor scoring on the main and rod journals. NO bearings spun and crank cleaned up with a mild re-polish, the problem is due to cam walk. There is major scoring on the front of the cam retainer plate and the back of the cam timing gear, there is also some scuff marks on the cam side of the retainer plate, but it appears that the cam walked towards the rear and allowed the timing gear to sit against the retainer plate.
We sold this as a shortblock and did not install any of these parts, plus the engine changed hands after we sold it, so from where I sit this is in no way a warranty issue:
however since damage was minor, we are replacing the bearings and re-polishing the crank at no-charge.

I have attached some pics for those who may be interested in seeing them.
Kick ***. I'm glad we have sponsors like you guys on this board to stand behind what you sell. What made the cam walk though?
Old 07-02-2006, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

We sold this as a shortblock and did not install any of these parts, plus the engine changed hands and a cam bearing was changed after we sold it, so from where I sit this is in no way a warranty issue:

I have attached some pics for those who may be interested in seeing them. In the first picture (circled) you can see a 3/4 inch long sliver that is about .005 thick that is almost separated and would probably ended up in the bearings as well

Holy crap, I had the exact same scouring on my retainer plate and cam sprocket when I tore my motor down. What cam was in this car? And what can cause the cam to walk like this?

Nevermind I see it had the magic stick.

back to my original question of what can cause cam walk like this?
Old 07-02-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

at first appearance it seemed to be cam walk, we spec'd the cam and found no problems there, so we got to scratching our heads and doing some research, looks like this may be a design flaw of some sort; the folks at Vinci address the problem here
http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...20PAGE%20.HTML
(scroll down the page some)
Old 07-02-2006, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

at first appearance it seemed to be cam walk, we spec'd the cam and found no problems there, so we got to scratching our heads and doing some research, looks like this may be a design flaw of some sort; the folks at Vinci address the problem here
http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...20PAGE%20.HTML
(scroll down the page some)
Whats the best for cutting those small groves in the retainer plate? Will a dremel with a small grinding tool work?

I hate to tear it apart to do this again, oh well. I did notice that the retainer plate and cam sprocket that I purchased from a dealer looked much different than my previous one.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a chance that the cam bearing race was installed wrong and as a result allowed the cam to walk? On a properly installed cam bearing race, are any of them tapered toward the front of the motor?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Is there a chance that the cam bearing race was installed wrong and as a result allowed the cam to walk? On a properly installed cam bearing race, are any of them tapered toward the front of the motor?
*crickets*

Anymore info for this thread?
Old 07-04-2006, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

I don't know, I know when my car showed taht wear it was after an fm14 cam swap.... and I had never changed the cam bearings in the motor.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

how does that usually happen?...cam walk?
Old 05-14-2016, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Might have an Oring issue, where is it located? Off the pick up?
Old 05-15-2016, 04:36 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep09
Might have an Oring issue, where is it located? Off the pick up?
This thread is 10 ******* years old. Go play in traffic.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DietCoke
This thread is 10 ******* years old. Go play in traffic.
Go play in traffic, that is classic! LMAO

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure 11-15 PSI at idle.. HELP! I'm Scared