Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Port matching a must?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006 | 11:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Port matching a must?

I recieved my Harrop ITB intake today, and after measuring the width of the ports, they are about .200" thinner than the ports on my ET 265's. The intake dosen't really look like it can handle that much porting. From the inside wall of the port to the edge of the gasket o-ring is .140". Assuming I removed .100" from each side, I'd be left with a .040" thick wall. Just wondering, since the intake port is the smaller of the 2, would the port matching even be worth it. I could understand if the intake port was larger, because then you would have the air hitting a ridge at the head. I really don't want to take the chance of getting to thin if it isn't going to make any diffrence anyway. Just not real kean on jacking up a $3500 intake that took months to get.
Old 06-06-2006 | 12:16 AM
9 Second Club

I would like to know this too!
Old 06-06-2006 | 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

i would run it like it is.a smooth transaction is preferred so it acts like a single,long runner but if the intake is the smallest of the 2 turbulence shouldn't be that bad.look at alot of old school sbc motors with hogged out heads=alot of people use a regular victor jr and the ports are quite a bit smaller,even the super vic is smaller than some so i think you'll be ok.the harrop has put up huge numbers allready,i don't know if the dyno i have seen of it was ported or not but i'd say it wasn't.
Old 06-06-2006 | 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Some people even prefer a smaller intake runner than intake port much the same way its suggested that the exhaust port is smaller than the header primary. I believe it helps ward off reversion
Old 06-06-2006 | 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just slap it on and run it! I'm sure there is some small gains to be made, but it doesn't sound like your too keen in messing with it any way so keep it simple and don't. With that motor you're talking about i'm pretty sure it won't suck anyway, lol
Old 06-06-2006 | 04:23 PM
TECH Veteran

It has some pretty bad casting flash around the port entrance, so i'm gunna remove that, but other than that, I probally won't mess with it.
Old 06-06-2006 | 06:54 PM
Collections Hold

Default intake

Jason,

I would consider port matching only if you can maintain that cross sectional area up to the throttle body. If you cannot, I would at least try to make sure the side of the intake port where the intake pushrod would be is not too far off. That is the side that I widened in the heads compared to the stock opening. Call me and I can explain better.

cary
Old 06-06-2006 | 06:57 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

any pics of that bad bay?
Old 06-06-2006 | 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by cary et performance
Jason,

I would consider port matching only if you can maintain that cross sectional area up to the throttle body. If you cannot, I would at least try to make sure the side of the intake port where the intake pushrod would be is not too far off. That is the side that I widened in the heads compared to the stock opening. Call me and I can explain better.

cary
I'm following you Cary. As for the cross sectional area, the port is pretty large coming down, but it tapers down at the exit. I'll bolt the intake to the heads and see how far off that side is.

PDD, I'm working on pics now. Gunna make a seperate post to show off some of my new stuff!