Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N4cer
You're always supposed to use a degree wheel. Why are you not properly installing your cam? That's bad.
then why does LG say to align it "dot to dot" and not worry about it then?
Old 05-17-2008, 01:06 PM
11 Second Club

The only reason it is secret is thay charge $440 for them and they are standerd comp xer lobe's .

thunder will grind one for $389 i think and come's with a lift report. If they sold them for a reasonable price they would tell you spec's.

As far as degree wheel they already said comp grind's them to within 1/4 of a deg.

And plus guy's with new vette's and blank check's could give a **** about the extra $50 hell it is prob worth it to them just to use the LG name.

Funny how N4CER got a woodie about not deg the cam in. just a little fyi comp engraves the lobe numbers on custom cam's. I doubt he deg his .prob paid someone to do it.

the specs are already out. so why is everyone still bitchen. 234/242 114+4 .598/.605

not mine gonna have thunder grind it. 236xf1/242xer 114+4

just my .02
Old 05-17-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slpss9723
oh man jeez......this has been covered so many times it's silly, i don't know what their big secret is either, i know it's no secret that their stuff is expensive....don't get me wrong, the G5X series cams are proven performers, especially the x3 and x4 and they sound pretty damn mean, but that is the whole reason i did not entertain the idea of buying one and when i called them and asked the age old "what cam/specs" questions they didn't want to help me much less give out their "TOP SECRET" cam specs. I just wasn't crazy about taking someone's word (I don't care who they are) on specs and that I should just "trust" someone and not know for myself. So i went to Futral, and now i'm just plain ole happy.
ok, guys heres the deal why they are secret...

They spent countless hours of designing a grind that willput down amazing power. If they told you the specs of the cam you can call comp cams and they can grind the same thing for 1/2 the price and you didnt do any of the R&D. do you think thats fair to LG??
Old 05-17-2008, 11:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by quick346
Funny how N4CER got a woodie about not deg the cam in. just a little fyi comp engraves the lobe numbers on custom cam's. I doubt he deg his .prob paid someone to do it.
Wow you really got me. Oh that's right, you're talking about something you know nothing about, that's RIGHT!!!!!

The specs aren't on the ends of the G5X series cams. Degree that.
Also, Comp writes on the cams what they're SUPPOSED to be. Not what they actually end up being. Try to keep up, brains. We move like ninjas in this thread. WITH QUICKNESS!
Old 05-17-2008, 11:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GMmexican
why are you not running an LG cam then?

by the way i have a few horror stories about Lou and how rude he has been to a few customers
Because I happen to also think that Futral cams are great. Plus I needed a cam near the specs of this one, and a buddy had it for sale. It was an easy choice. What kinda times you running, GMmexican?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by N4cer
Because I happen to also think that Futral cams are great. Plus I needed a cam near the specs of this one, and a buddy had it for sale. It was an easy choice. What kinda times you running, GMmexican?
havnt taken my car to the track yet but im hoping high 11's cam only assuming my batterd clutch can hold
Old 05-18-2008, 04:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by eamador11

They spent countless hours of designing a grind that willput down amazing power. If they told you the specs of the cam you can call comp cams and they can grind the same thing for 1/2 the price and you didnt do any of the R&D. do you think thats fair to LG??
Point exactly.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Utter BS,

You can buy any cam and put it on a cam doctor and know the specs in details, so where is the secrecy now?
How do you plan on degreing a cam if you have no specs?

This argument is a noobie argument. IMO any shop that doesn't want to release a cam spec should only install in house (AZP) used to do that with Ed Curtis customs..
But telling me that a shop has checked the specs and just to install dot-to-dot and "trust" them, well is simply not professional.

I'm not bashing anyone but this is MHO

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 05-18-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:26 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Utter BS,

You can buy any cam and put it on a cam doctor and know the specs in details, so where is the secrecy now?

This argument is a noobie argument. IMO any shop that doesn't want to release a cam spec should only install in house (AZP) used to do that with Ed Curtis customs..
But telling me that a shop has checked the specs and just to install dot-to-dot and "trust" them, well is simply not professional.

Excellent points.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Since you can put it in a cam doctor, degree it yourself. Doesn't sound like you need a cam card if you can get specs that easy. Everyone has a right to there own opinion, and no consensus will be reached on this topic.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Utter BS,

Sometimes it can be a little tricky figuring out the exact lobe numbers from Cam Doctor info, especially when there may be many to choose from with similar lift and duration. While power may not be seriously compromised by coming close to the exact lobe, valvetrain dynamics might be compromised. We all know what that can lead to.

If the cam comes with instructions to install it at a certain intake centerline, do you need more info than that to degree it in the way the cam guy wanted it?

I agree that "install it dot to dot" without giving you an ICL is wrong.

I also agree that Ed Curtis does some very good cams.

I also agree that there is some "Utter BS" in this thread. Much of it appears to come from folks who don't really "do" camshafts professionally. Don't believe everything you read in a thread or even on the end of a cam.

Sorting thru the bovine scat for the pearls is not easy.

My (never humble) $.02
Old 05-18-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eamador11

TSP,Thunder racing,Futural, just to name a few also spend hours designing a grind that will put down amazing power, and they tell you all the specs and yet there cams sell by the dozens and they are not out of buisness

MS3
MS4
TORQUER V2

TR 224/224- One of the most popular and streetable cams in the lsx world, that has been copied many times but is still Thunder racings best seller
TREX-Fastest cam only record

F13
F14

I can go on and on, people buy these cams and get results, so dont give me the "you can just copy the specs" BS
Old 05-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Launching!

I know the difference between .049" and .050. I think I could gather a cam specs. Even be able to discriminate symmetry. I am quite sure I can map the entire lift profile, apply a polynomial fit of a couple of orders using least squares, do some calculus, and get the intent behind a cam, all within a sunny Saturday of work. And that would be just by walking up to an engine with the cam installed and using a dial gage or two. My guess is there are more capable than myself here as well.

There are too many lobe profiles to not be able to match a performance profile to accuracy of 5 HP to anything anyone is doing. The whole secrecy issue is moot right after a sale to a customer willing to take the time to find out the "secret", either with their own time or with $$.

There is alot of debate here but I agree with Predator that all that secrecy is gone once a sale is made. The company can be secretive. They might even be able to control information on a website somewhere. But sooner or later there will be a circle that will know.

Needless to say, though, a custom cam based on individual ingredients will outdo an off-the-shelf cam.

Some people are BS'ing on here. Some jump on the bandwagon too easily. Some argue alot but really have nothing to say. Thanks again, for those who voluntarily give solid information based on experience without judgment.

"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."

Last edited by danf1000; 05-18-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by danf1000
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
Im not a good man
Old 05-19-2008, 08:35 AM
dug
Banned

The secret seems to be keeping the DCR high. I was fooling around with the dcr calculator and the popular cams have dcr over 8to1. The 224 112 + 4 was around 8.3 which is why it makes good all around power. The gx2 was around 8.1 and the gx3 was 7.9. The bigger cams will give up some torque but will make more top end hp.

The ms3 cam is notorious for lack of bottom end torque and low overall torque and its dcr is around 7.6. The cam I had in the sig has a dcr of 7.6 and it didnt dyno that high or have great torque.

Things that increase dcr is advancing the cam and making the lsa smaller. These things will lessen the room between pistons and valves
Old 05-19-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good points man.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by danf1000
There is alot of debate here but I agree with Predator that all that secrecy is gone once a sale is made. The company can be secretive. They might even be able to control information on a website somewhere. But sooner or later there will be a circle that will know.

Needless to say, though, a custom cam based on individual ingredients will outdo an off-the-shelf cam.
Exactly.

Hell they could make you sign a waiver saying you won't post the specs on the internet. At least then YOU would know what you paid for. Whether the customer needs the information or just wants the information, it's a good way to keep the customers happy.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Exactly.

Hell they could make you sign a waiver saying you won't post the specs on the internet. At least then YOU would know what you paid for. Whether the customer needs the information or just wants the information, it's a good way to keep the customers happy.
I would much sooner sign a waiver than buy something I'm not sure what the specs are. If it's going in my motor I'm damn sure gonna know exactly what it is. I had someone else try to sell me a custom cam but weren't willing to give the specs either.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Launching!

when i was looking around i called up lg to ask about a heads/cam package. i asked what the specs were on the g5x4.... dude said "secret recipe" . i said BYE. then i spent 4000$ at texas speed, and car ran like a RAPED APE. slung a rod in my 150,000 mile motor about 3 months later then i spent another 6000$ at texas speed for my new 408 stroker setup. i found out REAL quick i didnt want to do business with lg--- i have never liked the secretive stuckup nature of some people, so i took my business elsewhere....

OH...

but i did buy a $50 shift **** from lg one time... it was an ok experience i would say.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:00 PM
10 Second Club

What kind of track times does a raped ape run?

Quick Reply: LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)