Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 06:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N4cer
For pity's sake, buy a degree wheel people! Lazy bastages.

So now that you KNOW the specs, what excuse are you guys using?
Or you can just buy a cam somewhere else. Like TSP, Futural Motorsports, New Era Performance, Thunder Racing, ect.

Degree wheel
Old 05-15-2008, 07:14 PM
10 Second Club

Guys the specs on most of there cams are posted on this site. The cams have been cam doctored over and over. That g5x2 was copied by how many companys that post there cams specs? I remeber when the x2 came out. Everyone was like that cam is WAY too big these days its on the mild side of the spectrum.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by offaxis
Guys the specs on most of there cams are posted on this site. The cams have been cam doctored over and over. That g5x2 was copied by how many companys that post there cams specs? I remeber when the x2 came out. Everyone was like that cam is WAY too big these days its on the mild side of the spectrum.
If you look back though all the pages of this thread you'll see a lot of thier cam specs revealed. But that's not the point. Well actually there are two points IMO.

1). They make you work for thier cam specs rather then just saying "here is what we put in your car or shipped to your door".

2). It's fun watching N4cer get all bent out of shape over this thread
Old 05-15-2008, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Or you can just buy a cam somewhere else. Like TSP, Futural Motorsports, New Era Performance, Thunder Racing, ect.

Degree wheel
Even if you know the design specs, the degree wheel will tell you how far off the piece of metal you bought actually is from what you thought you bought.

Chances are (at least with Comp lobes). the difference is significant, and it's not uncommon to adjust the installed ICL a degree or two to make up for machining tolerances. If you don't have an adjustable timing set, then you live with the error.

Buying a "233/239" from TSP and just sticking it in the engine is far less precise than buying a spec-secret cam, and degreeing it during installation.

This has been LG's contention all along, and I don't disagree with them. Once that piece of metal is in your hands...you have every spec you'll ever need at your fingertips...whether you choose to use it or not is up to you.

The cams to stay away from are the "install only" deals.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you serious? They're not even comparable! Look at the valve events, dyno graphs, or watch the cars run. The X3 is way better down low and just shy of the MS3 on top end (if you get one of the few setups that matches it well... seems for every 1 good running MSx cam car I see, there's 9 more that run like crap). Yes, the MS3 is a slightly better performing top end cam, but has no ***** down low whatsoever. You gotta like mechanical advantage to use it properly. That means gears and a stall for those of you scratching your heads.
So the specs on the G5X3 are 234/242, .600/.610; the MS3 specs are 237/242 .603 .609.
So please tell me how 3 degrees on the intake and then lift difference is .003 intake and .001 on the exhaust side. What i want to know is how you are gonna say that the G5X3 has more bottom and just as much top end? Then your gonna try to say that most MS3 cars run shitty lol your a tool bro. If the car runs shitty it is probably because it has a bad tune, bad exhaust, bad intake ect ect. I made 410 RWHP and 376 RWTQ ya the cam isnt the best down low, but it does me just fine and i have walked all over all kinds of small cam cars. So please come up with some good comparison dyno graphs of the G5X3 and MS3 i am willing to bet they will look really similar considering the price. And if i did it again i would spend the extra money and have Patrick G or Predator Z spec me a cam and hey i would know the specs lol
Old 05-15-2008, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Thimble
Even if you know the design specs, the degree wheel will tell you how far off the piece of metal you bought actually is from what you thought you bought.

Chances are (at least with Comp lobes). the difference is significant, and it's not uncommon to adjust the installed ICL a degree or two to make up for machining tolerances. If you don't have an adjustable timing set, then you live with the error.

Buying a "233/239" from TSP and just sticking it in the engine is far less precise than buying a spec-secret cam, and degreeing it during installation.

This has been LG's contention all along, and I don't disagree with them. Once that piece of metal is in your hands...you have every spec you'll ever need at your fingertips...whether you choose to use it or not is up to you.

The cams to stay away from are the "install only" deals.

I never said LG didn't make a quality camshaft. But they are by far not the only ones who do. Once Ed Curtis sent me my cam card I had every spec I'll ever need right at my fingertips.

There is no denying the quality and fantastic results that people running cams like the MS4, Trex, Hellion have had. The choice of who we buy our cams from is not an easy one. But LG's policy on secrecy helped me eliminate one contender from the running for my business.

And from what I have seen in this thread, I am not the only one.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never said LG didn't make a quality camshaft. But they are by far not the only ones who do. Once Ed Curtis sent me my cam card I had every spec I'll ever need right at my fingertips.

There is no denying the quality and fantastic results that people running cams like the MS4, Trex, Hellion have had. The choice of who we buy our cams from is not an easy one. But LG's policy on secrecy helped me eliminate one contender from the running for my business.

And from what I have seen in this thread, I am not the only one.

whats that you say the t-rex? the record holder for fastest CAM only NA ls-1 f-body in the world
Old 05-16-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

This thread is hilarious. The only nut swingers are the lock-stepping anti-LG crowd.

(I have never bought a single part from LG)

LG is one of the better companies in the lsx world, and has been one of the few driving forces behind the progress in LSX performance.

If you want one of their cams, you can find the specs and have it tuned properly. Look at allngn_c5's car. Stock displacement, 490/445, with a cam that has more area under the curve and is a little more civil/dd friendly than MS3, MS4, T-Rex, etc.

A simple little policy of keeping their specs secret, no big deal, and yet we get 7 pages of bitchy responses from a bunch of gender confused metrosexuals with sand in their tacos. Get over it. Bitching and piling on like a bunch of 16 year old daddy's little princesses. Get a life.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by will82
This thread is hilarious. The only nut swingers are the lock-stepping anti-LG crowd.

(I have never bought a single part from LG)

LG is one of the better companies in the lsx world, and has been one of the few driving forces behind the progress in LSX performance.

If you want one of their cams, you can find the specs and have it tuned properly. Look at allngn_c5's car. Stock displacement, 490/445, with a cam that has more area under the curve and is a little more civil/dd friendly than MS3, MS4, T-Rex, etc.

A simple little policy of keeping their specs secret, no big deal, and yet we get 7 pages of bitchy responses from a bunch of gender confused metrosexuals with sand in their tacos. Get over it. Bitching and piling on like a bunch of 16 year old daddy's little princesses. Get a life.
And Miami993c297 made 511 rwhp with etp215 heads, fast 90/90 and a Ed Curtis streetsweeper cam. He even posted a vid showing how it's not all that unstreetable.

I find it ironic that you're bitching about other people bitching. It's a personal choice. Some don't care that they hide the specs from thier customers and others do. Deal with it.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And Miami993c297 made 511 rwhp with etp215 heads, fast 90/90 and a Ed Curtis streetsweeper cam. He even posted a vid showing how it's not all that unstreetable.

I find it ironic that you're bitching about other people bitching. It's a personal choice. Some don't care that they hide the specs from thier customers and others do. Deal with it.
Well then by that standard I find it ironic that you are bitching about me bitching about other people bitching.

LG does not give out their cam specs. Wow. End of issue. Not worthy of hundreds of estrogen filled posts. Equating that to "bad business" and slamming LG is mindless and childish. If anyone feels they can not properly install or tune his cams with him personally divulging the specs, then go somewhere else. /thread. None of the people whining or putting down LG have experienced anywhere close to his level of success in racing LSXs or running a business tuning, building, and creating parts for LSXs.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

Well then by that standard I find it ironic that you are bitching about me bitching about other people bitching.
But I didn't insult anyone with crude remarks like you did.

LG does not give out their cam specs. Wow. End of issue. Not worthy of hundreds of estrogen filled posts. Equating that to "bad business" and slamming LG is mindless and childish. If anyone feels they can not properly install or tune his cams with him personally divulging the specs, then go somewhere else. /thread. None of the people whining or putting down LG have experienced anywhere close to his level of success in racing LSXs or running a business tuning, building, and creating parts for LSXs.
And some people won't buy thier cams because they don't give out specs. End of issue.

I fully agree that LG has had great success with some of thier customers cars. They make great cams and do great work. But guess what? TSP has sent out some bad *** cars too. W2W has put together some bad *** cars. New Era Performance has some bad *** cars running around. In other words they are not the only shop selling great cams, doing great installs and dialing in awesome tunes.

That's one of the things that makes America great. We have the freedom to choose what we buy and where we buy it. As well as who gets to install and tune it.

If I chose to not buy from them because they don't give you a cam card then that's my right to do so.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hiding cam specs from me just makes me want to buy the cam for the sole purpose of having it CD'd and having copies ground. Kind of like when your girlfriend tells you "don't you try and race that idiot" when you weren't even thinking about racing - telling you no just makes you want to do it out of spite.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

you miss the point of this thread we are not bench racing or comparing numbers, some of us dont like the way LG does buisness......how hard is that to comprehend?

if you want to compare number check out Pat g's 500rwhp heads and cam combo.......but since his car isnt running one of those legendary LG cams he must not be as fast?, after all were just f-body guys not the prestige corvette customers

LG cam kit for f-body- $1395.95 http://www.lgmotorsports.com/catalog...oducts_id=1399

TR cam kit-$709.00 http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=51

Last edited by GMmexican; 05-16-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Isn't Ed Curtis banned from here for also being shady?
Old 05-16-2008, 10:00 PM
10 Second Club

So you guys are against LG's business practices, but you're okay with TSP's? Are you high? Do you forget the "Terminator" heads and how they purposely deceived people on them? You haven't noticed that they hoe'd them out like crack in the hood up until people started putting them on, and now nobody is even mentioning them. Hrmm. Wake up kids.

As for the 3 degrees difference between the MS3 and G5X3's intake lobe: you forget the ICL. Poor attention to details F*T*L.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Prerun4fun13
Then your gonna try to say that most MS3 cars run shitty lol your a tool bro. If the car runs shitty it is probably because it has a bad tune, bad exhaust, bad intake ect ect. I made 410 RWHP and 376 RWTQ ya the cam isnt the best down low, but it does me just fine and i have walked all over all kinds of small cam cars. So please come up with some good comparison dyno graphs of the G5X3 and MS3 i am willing to bet they will look really similar considering the price. And if i did it again i would spend the extra money and have Patrick G or Predator Z spec me a cam and hey i would know the specs lol
I've personally seen it at my tuner's. After they were tuned. And yes, this is a great tuner, not some bozo who just bought HPT last week and learned to auto tune.

You could walk all over lots of cars if you have a good matching setup. That's the ticket, not which cam you have anyway. Point invalid.

As for the graphs, I don't need to look them up. I know the answer already. You buy what you want. I've told it how it is. Don't believe me? Do a search and see what PatG has said about them since you value his opinion more than mine. He's said the same thing.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So you guys are against LG's business practices, but you're okay with TSP's? Are you high? Do you forget the "Terminator" heads and how they purposely deceived people on them? You haven't noticed that they hoe'd them out like crack in the hood up until people started putting them on, and now nobody is even mentioning them. Hrmm. Wake up kids.

As for the 3 degrees difference between the MS3 and G5X3's intake lobe: you forget the ICL. Poor attention to details F*T*L.
Terminators aren't the only heads from there that have had problems...

Heads aren't the only parts from there that have had problems...
Old 05-17-2008, 06:39 AM
11 Second Club

Isn't Ed Curtis banned from here for also being shady?
I've never heard that. And just like LG he has a reputation for making some very stout cams. The guys at New Era Performance only sell his camshafts and they have had no complaints that I am aware of.

I for one will be proud to run one of his cams. I expect big numbers on the dyno and low ones at the track. And I'll know all my cam specs without having to turn into a PI to find them
Old 05-17-2008, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

PI? You like Mustang heads now? LOL

You're always supposed to use a degree wheel. Why are you not properly installing your cam? That's bad.

I could be wrong about EC. Could be BB I'm thinking of, or both.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

PI? You like Mustang heads now? LOL

You're always supposed to use a degree wheel. Why are you not properly installing your cam? That's bad.

I could be wrong about EC. Could be BB I'm thinking of, or both.
why are you not running an LG cam then?

by the way i have a few horror stories about Lou and how rude he has been to a few customers

Quick Reply: LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)