Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 01:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMmexican
This a smart marketing scheme plain and simple!!!! LG makes a big deal about there cams like they have a super secret power edge over others creating this mystique, all this does is fool ignorant customers into thinking they are buying an elite cam thats above the rest when in reality the true cam specs arnt that amazing.

No thanks theres tons of better options out there, without paying an arm and a leg for LG's high prices.........and other companies are more than happy to give me a ****** CAM CARD!
Ouch!

Q: How do you spot a man without a degree wheel?
A: See quoted text.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
What specs don't you know? All the original cams, G5X1, X2, X3, X4 are Comp XE-R lobes... 228/232, 232/240, 234/242, 238/244 IIRC.
You are wrong on the X4.
240/244
Old 05-14-2008, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N4cer
Ouch!

Q: How do you spot a man without a degree wheel?
A: See quoted text.

well like predator said I want to know my valve events, my LSA, my ICL, my .006 durations, my .200 durations, so I can fine tune my setup to optimize said cam output and have a good matched combo

I know alot of people may not care about that, but these are the people that will believe any cam advertisement BS and run a mismatched combo and later complain why their Et's are so terrible ,and why there car is surging and bucking and why the tune is off
Old 05-14-2008, 06:43 AM
11 Second Club

I don't know what all the fuss was about. It's pretty simple. No cam card = no cam order. Doesn't get much simpler then that

Ed Curtis cams are better
Old 05-14-2008, 07:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by darrensls1
I don't know what all the fuss was about. It's pretty simple. No cam card = no cam order. Doesn't get much simpler then that

Ed Curtis cams are better
Why would that be? They're great cams, and check out to be exactly what they're supposed to be when measured with a degree wheel and dial indicator. As said before, the specs have no bearing on the tune, and most who buy them don't know what the specs mean anyway.

PROPS TO LGMOTORSPORTS FOR MAKING SPEC'ING SOME OF THE BEST CAMS ON THE PLANET.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Why would that be?
Because then the cam gets speced to perfectly suit your combo and goals. Custom cams are always a good choice. But if I was going to buy an off the shelf cam then I would at least want to know what the heck I was buying.

PROPS TO EVERYONE THAT BUYS A CAM KNOWING THE SPECS!

Old 05-14-2008, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by darrensls1
Because then the cam gets speced to perfectly suit your combo and goals. Custom cams are always a good choice. But if I was going to buy an off the shelf cam then I would at least want to know what the heck I was buying.

PROPS TO EVERYONE THAT BUYS A CAM KNOWING THE SPECS!

And props to you for having no real reason since really that doesn't sound too applicable. WHY do you need to know what you're buying? You see the performance. You're obviously not one of the guys here who is able to match piston speed and airflow to valve events. So keep telling yourself that it matters so you can jump on the pseudo-scientific wannabe bandwagon.

I'm not meaning to be on you personally... you're just the one talking at the moment.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

And props to you for having no real reason since really that doesn't sound too applicable. WHY do you need to know what you're buying?
Why would you not want to know what you're buying? Would you go to the movies and tell the person at the ticket booth to surprise you? Would you go to the butcher and say give me three pounds of whatever you think I might like? Would you grab a T-shirt off a rack without looking at the size or what's printed on it?

You see the performance. You're obviously not one of the guys here who is able to match piston speed and airflow to valve events. So keep telling yourself that it matters so you can jump on the pseudo-scientific wannabe bandwagon.
I see the performance in Ed Curtis cams, MS4, Trex, Futural Motorsports, ect. If I can get the same or even better performance AND get a cam card then why not?

I'm not meaning to be on you personally... you're just the one talking at the moment.
I can take it as long as you can dish it out. Or until the thread gets locked
Old 05-14-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

To be honest i bought my cam not looking at the specs(because i have no idea what any of it means, only that LSA is how choppy you want it), but at how they performed. I bought and installed my MS3 to run with the TNT F2 nitrous kit i bought, but i have decided in not spraying. So now im either going to keep the cam and run some crazy heads to make some sweet power, and get some nice times at the track. Or im going to get a new cam with heads to go with it, and base my rear end gears off that. I can understand if you know what the specs mean, and how everything works why you would want the specs. But to an average person like me who has yet to understand what all the lingo/specs mean its not really that important. As long as the company says the cam will fit under my stock heads by aligning the dots i don't see there being a problem.
-Joel
Old 05-14-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

this is great. i love to see all these guys with basically stock motors jumping on the "i want a cam card" bandwagon with their cams. 99% of them have cars that don't run right to start with. yeah, go ahead and use that cam card to *perfectly match valve events on your street car haha. bitch and moan all day because you don't know the specs, when it reality, you don't know what you're doing anyhow. since you guys are such cam gurus and want all this information, why not get your own custom grind with NO advance or retard ground into it and degree it yourself? or better yet, since you're doing these mile long mathematical equations to verify what the engine is doing, spec the cam to be installed dot to dot so you don't have to pull the front cover 2-3 times to get your **** right.

95% of people buying aftermarket cams drive street cars. street cars do not get the attention a race car does. therefore, buying a cam that is known to do [insert result] is great for 95% of the population doing so. the other 5% will spec their own **** and go about their day. anyone with half a brain wouldn't bash a vendor for keeping specs secret, they would see the big picture and simply be grateful that someone gives a **** enough about you guys to go through all the dyno time, track time, etc etc to make it easy to get what you want out of a cam. be happy. even 10 years ago it wasn't near as easy to choose a cam for any car and know what it was going to do. the vendors on this site, such as LG, can pinpoint performance and my guess is lou could hand draw a graph and be dead nuts given whatever combination. if you don't like secret specs - don't buy. it's that simple. there is no reason to bash such a contributor to the lsx world. LG was dynoing ls1 cars when you guys were riding around on tricycles.

/rant
Old 05-14-2008, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default big secret

Id say if LGM wants to keep it under their hats they have the right too.It must be a big famaily secret that needs to be non specific and if not they'll send his cousins over to deal with you on a personal matter,quietly -the old way with a shovel and a bag -O-lime
Old 05-14-2008, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by s346k
LG was dynoing ls1 cars when you guys were riding around on tricycles.

/rant
The LS1 has only been out since 1997. I was 28 back then and a tad too big for a tricycle

And I think you're taking this thread the wrong way. I don't think anyone is bashing thier product. We know the cams make good power. But when you refuse to tell a customer what it is they are buying or all ready bought it's bound to rub some people the wrong way.

I still think the Ed Curtis custom cam is a better way to go. You fill out the question card so he knows what you have for mods and what your goals are and then he makes the perfect cam for you. See that way it doesn't matter how much you know about cams. It only matters how much he knows about them and how to get the most out of your setup. And you get a cam card
Old 05-14-2008, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by s346k
this is great. i love to see all these guys with basically stock motors jumping on the "i want a cam card" bandwagon with their cams. 99% of them have cars that don't run right to start with. yeah, go ahead and use that cam card to *perfectly match valve events on your street car haha. bitch and moan all day because you don't know the specs, when it reality, you don't know what you're doing anyhow. since you guys are such cam gurus and want all this information, why not get your own custom grind with NO advance or retard ground into it and degree it yourself? or better yet, since you're doing these mile long mathematical equations to verify what the engine is doing, spec the cam to be installed dot to dot so you don't have to pull the front cover 2-3 times to get your **** right.

95% of people buying aftermarket cams drive street cars. street cars do not get the attention a race car does. therefore, buying a cam that is known to do [insert result] is great for 95% of the population doing so. the other 5% will spec their own **** and go about their day. anyone with half a brain wouldn't bash a vendor for keeping specs secret, they would see the big picture and simply be grateful that someone gives a **** enough about you guys to go through all the dyno time, track time, etc etc to make it easy to get what you want out of a cam. be happy. even 10 years ago it wasn't near as easy to choose a cam for any car and know what it was going to do. the vendors on this site, such as LG, can pinpoint performance and my guess is lou could hand draw a graph and be dead nuts given whatever combination. if you don't like secret specs - don't buy. it's that simple. there is no reason to bash such a contributor to the lsx world. LG was dynoing ls1 cars when you guys were riding around on tricycles.

/rant
Damn bro, and I thought I was the only LGM **** on here. If I had a dollar for every pm I received from members ******* me for promoting LG Motorsports products I'd have the new ZR1 in my garage. Also money left over to mod it LOL. As if the new ZR1 is going to need much modifying. On a side note about the ZR1 LG Motorsports will be bringing to us some of the first aftermarket data about the car. Example dyno numbers before and after tuning. Not sure what else if anything is available for the ZR1. Can't wait to see what Lou and his crew can do to the ZR1's factory tune to free up some more power. We'll have to wait and see. I am hearing August. Hope I get to go for a ride.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

i am not an LGM ****, it just really pisses me off to see guys saying what they are about one of the (in my opinion) biggest sponsors/players of this website over a god damned cam card. i don't know about ed curtis or any of the other cam vendors, but i have seen lou gigliotti on espn actually *gasp RACING..

if you don't like him or his products - whatver, there is no need to carry on like that.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hear ya bro, and I am sure Lou appreciates your support.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Once again, the guys with the bolton and free mod cars ranting and raving about **** they will never buy. If you want to bitch about cam cards how about this. My cam card from TSP differed from the specs on the box from Comp. Am I crying about it that they are "hiding" true specs from me? Nope my tuner and installer who is a tech sponsor (Howard at Redline) is very competent and it did not even matter. My car is tuned to perfection and runs great even with the 112lsa.

Your reasons for wanting a cam card are ridiculous and that aside you will probably never even buy the other cams you mentioned ie Ed Curtis, TSP etc.. so what gives.

Bottom line is LG cams perform. If I did not go emo and want to sell my car a while back, I would have installed the G5X3 I originally bought to go in this car. The only thing that bothers me about LG cams is perhaps the price. Either way if I do go bigger I will be buying the G5X3v2
Old 05-14-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the G5x3 in my other Ls1 and it was an awesome cam. My question is what is the difference between the G5x3 and the G5x3v2? I realize Lou doesn't tell us the exact specs, which I don't care about because the performance speaks for itself, but what is the basic difference between these cams?
Paul
Old 05-14-2008, 07:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by big reg
Once again, the guys with the bolton and free mod cars ranting and raving about **** they will never buy. If you want to bitch about cam cards how about this. My cam card from TSP differed from the specs on the box from Comp. Am I crying about it that they are "hiding" true specs from me? Nope my tuner and installer who is a tech sponsor (Howard at Redline) is very competent and it did not even matter. My car is tuned to perfection and runs great even with the 112lsa.
That's not the same thing as a vendor saying you arn't allowed to know the specs of the cam you paid for.

Your reasons for wanting a cam card are ridiculous.
There is nothing rediculous about wanting to know exactly what you're buying. What's rediculous is when you're at a track and someone asks you what size cam you're running and you have to say:

"I don't know."

and that aside you will probably never even buy the other cams you mentioned ie Ed Curtis, TSP etc.. so what gives.
Wrong. I all ready bought an Ed Curtis camshaft to compliment ETP 215 heads, fast 90/90 and a Circle-D 4400 stall. I've spent over 10K on this project and I know the cam specs that I paid for. Just as it should be.

Bottom line is LG cams perform. If I did not go emo and want to sell my car a while back, I would have installed the G5X3 I originally bought to go in this car. The only thing that bothers me about LG cams is perhaps the price. Either way if I do go bigger I will be buying the G5X3v2
And my bottom line is Ed Curtis, TSP and futural motorsports cams all perform as well and do it without hiding thier specs.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

You are wrong on the X4.
240/244
Ah yes. You are correct. I didn't think the 238 looked right.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NastySSoo
I had the G5x3 in my other Ls1 and it was an awesome cam. My question is what is the difference between the G5x3 and the G5x3v2? I realize Lou doesn't tell us the exact specs, which I don't care about because the performance speaks for itself, but what is the basic difference between these cams?
Paul
The G5X3 version II is bigger then version I and smaller then the g5x4. Its a very good compromise between the g5x3 and g5x4. That's about the best way I can explain it without giving away specs. LOL. Trust me its a bad *** cam.

Quick Reply: LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)