Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 12:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=sscam68]
Originally Posted by Jessica

Yeah, just like the morons who can't spell. It's so simple to grab a dictionary and learn to spell right.

Haha
Old 06-16-2006, 01:30 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=treysoucie]
Originally Posted by Ben01C5

the fact that this is a thread about LGM trying to be mysterious, and it kinda pisses ppl. off that this company has a gay policy like this.
Why does it **** people off? Why don't people say "damn LGM won't give me specs therefore I won't buy thier parts!!!"

It has been going on for teh 5 years I have been on LS boards. LG is still in business, and hasn't changed their policy.
The X2 and X3 specs are out there. The X4 is the only one I don't know the specs on.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Ben01C5]
Originally Posted by treysoucie

Why does it **** people off?

dont know really? it just kinda makes me mad, cause it might be a worthwile product, but w/o specs its useless in my mind.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plain and simple here guys.... some of you buy specs some buy RESULTS. I kinda compare it to having a 10" **** and you can't get laid.... who cares how big it is if you can't use it.

I don't see a issue with what Lou does with keeping his cam specs secrect.... keeps a lot of ya'll guessing.

Bret
Old 06-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KGSloan
mostly correct, i figured it out up in tulsa when i went to change the springs. then i called you about it and you were fairly upset with me about calling you out on. when really, you should've been nothing but polite to me no matter what (and i was completely rational with the situation).

and trust me, when my car was there i talked to you all several times about when it would be ready (as it took several weeks and i needed it back). never a mention of $1500 in parts (even when i was told we were waiting on parts to be delivered). i did not want the work done for free, i never expected that but that's how you are trying to make me look. i just wanted an update, you can imagine the shock when my bill was that high.

but this is a pointless arguement anyway, neither of our feelings are going to change one bit.

i'm actaully a really easy going guy and get along with people well normally, i promise
i'll call you back tomorrow, i don't have my phone with me, sorry about that. i am definetly not trying to avoid you which is clear, i have no problem with talking with you and letting you know how i feel.
I think LG did the right thing in this situation...He stated it well...you can never please EVERYone. You are one of those people because you have mice in your pocket telling you how to fell...IE people on this board who dont have a clue of whats going on in both parties mindstates...

<-Not a supporter of LG but its clear Lou did the right thing here.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:51 AM
7 Second Club

if you havent figured it out by now you probably never will...

LG wants more in-house work then just orders.
I believe that is one reason they dont supply cam cards.

i have a friend (z06jim- flame painted z06 with AFR205 heads and lg cam) and it put down a tad over 500rwhp...

now what he did is drop his **** off at LG and said, MAKE SOME POWER....

and they did.

These guys make their real money when they get jobs like this and thats what jobs they want....

They like people to say heres my car now make 500rwhp and make it driveable AND heres is my credit card number, have fun!

so if you dont like LG's way of bussines dont buy from them... its not hard...

i personally like to know whats going on inside my motor and i do stuff my self cause im broke. but LG supplies a need to a certain group of people and by golly they make it work and work well.

LG is no bull ******* they just dont give cam cards.

/rant
Old 06-16-2006, 08:53 AM
7 Second Club

and lets not turn this into stories about LG's reputation... take that **** to another thread.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1936FordPU
I think LG did the right thing in this situation...He stated it well...you can never please EVERYone. You are one of those people because you have mice in your pocket telling you how to fell...IE people on this board who dont have a clue of whats going on in both parties mindstates...

<-Not a supporter of LG but its clear Lou did the right thing here.

if you look, i hardly ever even get on here anymore because i can't stand all of the internet experts that are on this forum. i have again started coming on here lately, but been mostly in the drag racing tech forum as i'm trying to dial in my suspension.

no one on here told me how to feel. i didn't even bring this up at first because i wanted to give LG a chance to satisfy me.

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
The transmission has nothing to do with it except that you didn't answer your phone to be told the price difference. Just like today when I just tried to call you.

and now, lou won't call ME back (no suprise here, as i only actually only able to talk to him once during this entire saga). so ball's in your court now lou. i called you back the next morning, it never takes (or took) me any longer than that, ever. if you've got something you want to talk to me about, over the phone, instead of through a keyboard, call me back. i've got my phone in my pocket.

Last edited by KGSloan; 06-16-2006 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

and ask the turbo guy if he got a cam card for his new setup
Old 09-21-2006, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

I'm currently running the G5x4 cam with stock heads and have no clearance issues. What I would like to know is what heads I can run without smacking valves. I was thinking either Trick Flow, Dart, or ETP. Hopefully someone from Lg can help me out on this or anyone else who has experience with this cam.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you can run Darts or ETP's....not 100% sure though.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Launching!

I have a 2002 LG Z06 that Lou G and Tony Mamo put my package together. Lou spent a lot of time with me on the telephone at least three times (45 minutes minimum each) and I asked him every question I think possible. Personally, I would never take my car anywhere else, and I have a C6Z ordered and soon to be delivered. At 13:1 AFR, I put down 472 and 422 and when I leaned it out into race trim it was pulling a lot more and easily in the high 480's and a tick over 490 SAE. Lou did share the cam specs with me, but it was more important for me to understand how the package was on the track. His knows what works best, and treated me first class. Can not say enough good things about Lou and LG as well as Tony Mamo and AFR. Both guys are first rate.

JG853
1996 GS
2002 LG Z
2007 Z on the way (LB with Comp Grey Wheels)
Old 09-21-2006, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28misfit
I'm currently running the G5x4 cam with stock heads and have no clearance issues. What I would like to know is what heads I can run without smacking valves. I was thinking either Trick Flow, Dart, or ETP. Hopefully someone from Lg can help me out on this or anyone else who has experience with this cam.
LG is going to suggest afr 205's more than likely, that seems to be the only heads they have used with the x3, x4 cams....I know they usually get them milled to 59cc when being used with the x3.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:32 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah I figured they would say AFR's as well. I'm sure AFR's are very good I just wanted to try something different out. I was actully leaning towards the Trick Flow heads, but Texas-Speed has a good set of Darts for a more reasonable price. I just don't want to buy heads, put them on the car, check for valve clearance and find out they hit.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Default LG's Secrets!?

I just wanted to reply to this thread.I like many others took my business elsewhere because of not knowing what your getting(cam specs)Just finished a 427 LS7 build and was very interested in their 7 liter cams until I called to talk to someone at LG.Just seemed like they did not want my business at all.Not helpfull in any way to say the least.I know there are many others that don't buy their cams because of this....because I've talked to quite a few.Just a rant but I'm with Predator Z and many others on this issue and I would think they would see this and change their ideas. Traver
Old 02-19-2007, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Plain and simple here guys.... some of you buy specs some buy RESULTS. I kinda compare it to having a 10" **** and you can't get laid.... who cares how big it is if you can't use it.

I don't see a issue with what Lou does with keeping his cam specs secrect.... keeps a lot of ya'll guessing.

Bret
Because it's like building an old carburetor motor and not knowing what size of carburetor you are getting. If you buy a cam, and you aren't getting the power band you want, then how do you know which way to go if you don't what you have? This is just one of many reasons why a professional engine builder wants to know what is going in his motor. Now if a person just wants a cam to say he has a hi-perf. cam, then I guess it doesn't matter. I don't see what the big deal is not showing the specs. This isn't Formula one racing cams here. These are street cams
Old 02-19-2007, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Blueprint the cam when you put it in. Duh. Not to mention the specs are out there. Now the argument is invalid. Anybody have a valid one?

Also, you wouldn't expect KFC, Coke, Pepsi, etc. to give out their recipe. Why should LGM?

Okay, seriously. Now that all the specs are out there, anybody have a valid argument? Anybody?
Old 05-13-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Guys,

I had better respond to this to get the facts our rather than just let the pile on happen. I have most of the facts straight but I fired the salesman who did the ticket for what ever that is worth.

I will try to explain the whole situation in both cars in question.

First, the spring car had "Absolute Speed" cylinder heads on it. Absolute was told to start using 921 springs at some point, but this was one of the sets that must have missed the change over.

I had a new Salesman here who only knew of the 921 springs being used because we didn't like the way the 977 springs lost their pressure with our cams over time. So the salesman never thought that it had anything but 921 springs in it.

When the customer came in to have springs changed as a precaution, we were surprised our self to find that it still had 977 springs. when this was discovered, even though the customer claimed that we "did it on purpose" we credited him the difference between the cost of a set of 921 springs and a set of 977 springs.

Then we installed the new 977 springs and did the labor for FREE. We only charged him for the nes 977 springs but NO LABOR for the valve spring change.

We did a transmission R&R plus a full Transmission rebuild. There were more parts that needed to be replaced once it was opened up. Trans parts cost $867. Then we did a slave cylinder, moser U bolts, and a credit of $445 for the difference in the springs, for a total Transmission/spring replacement/Slave cylinder/U bolts/and tax for $1705.61 We quoted $700 for the R&R and rebuild labor, PLUS Parts.

Don't forget that this is a full M6 R&R plus rebuild that we do in house. It also included the Slave cyl,Trans parts and a Credit for $445 from the spring mistake.

So we credited him for the spring mixup, and took care of the spring problem as well. We could not install 921s in the heads because they were machined for the 977s so we could not go back.

If there is a 15 hp loss then it could be from the springs not being up to the task. I think the dispute came when the customer wanted the new springs free also even with 8000 miles on them. That was not justified.

The customer with the Turbo, came in with a broken Turbo car. It was not our package. It had broken headers, turned lifter, wiped cam and was just a mess. the customer bought a Turbo Technologies Hot Side kit and we adapted his old turbo set up to the new Turbo Tech kit because he didin't want to spen any more money.
he wanted to try to get 700+ hp, and it was not possible with that turbo size and fuel system.

None of this really matters because the car got here with a destroyed cam that had the lifter stuck in the lifter bore sideways. The lifter wouldn't even come out of the bore. They had to pull the cam out the back of the engine and knock the lifter down after the cam was taken out. So we were lucky to save the block anyway.

So this engine had so many problems before it came in that we did everything to save it even though my guys spent triple time on it with many unbilled hours. I believe that it was running out of fuel at 5800 rpms too.

The engine was what it was. and it was not our engine work. still, we salvaged it and made a fairly nice ride out of it.

So that is the story. Most shops would have not done as much as we did in either situation. We do our best to ALWAYS do the right thing. Sometimes the customer feels grateful, and sometimes they feel cheated. In any case, I do what is fair for the customer and for my company.

Thanks again

Lou Gigliotti LGM

As for "slapping the cam on a cam doctor" It has been done many times on some but not all of our cams. And if knowing the specs of your cam makes you sleep better, so be it. It is just our policy. Some cams we only install in house. LG

Well said Lou !! I know I felt appreciated the way you guys took care of me, and thanks for everything. See you in August 08 for the 402. Got torque ??
Old 05-13-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hi guys,

Lou Gigliotti here.

This thread is very interesting. I would like you to call Earnhardt Incorporated or John force and ask what their cam specs are. I am sure that they will give you every detail.

No we are not John Force or Earnhardt but we have our cams and we have them built so most home builders can install them dot to dot without any dialing in. We have found them to be within 1/4 degree +/- and that is better than most installers can do.

The point is that even with the vague specs that are on the internet, there are a lot of cams that look alot like our LG cams but so what. We still have some of the highest hp and best drivable cams around. If you need the specs, then you know enough to order your own cam from Comp, Lunati etc. Why do you need our specs? just to get a head start?

Keith at HP tuners ran a 9.90 with our G5-XX cam Normally aspirated. That cam was put in DOT to DOT with AFR heads, Fast 90/90 and a stock bottom end. So if you need faster than a 9.90 then you need more than just a LG cam and head package.

We put a G5X-3 in a Corvette LS6 with air filter and Headers and we get 430rwhp 400 torque and that is a daily driver. And when we send the package all over the country, it makes the same hp or more.
Our G5X-1 cam passes the sniffer test in a corvette Z06 and with AFR heads it made 452rwhp 428 rwtq with a stock manifold. The car was going to Europe and it only had to pass the tail pipe sniffer test and it did. Mission accomplished.

You see, most of the cars that we sell cam packages to are not looking for the last hp, or the last tenth of a second in the 1/4 mile but most of them make hp that exceeds most of what I see posted here.

If you remember waaaaay back when, we made 409rwhp on a stock Z28 and he ran 10's about 3 or 4 years ago with a stock bottom end and cam only, no head work.

So if a cam is built correctly with the proper advance or retard built in to the cam, then it can be put in Dot to Dot and still perform. Again, if you need more than what our cams make, then you need more than our cam anyway.

Here is a graph of one of our 7 liter cams. This is a daily driver. do you think we should tell all the other companies what this cam is? Not really. 535/501 cam only with headers and filter with cats and stock muffler.

And we have our "Moma-joma" cam in my car that made 628 rwhp 550 rwtq. That is the highest hp in any 7 liter Z06 street car N/A that anyone has made yet. So those specs are also not out.

Here is our G5X-1 cam with AFR heads and LG Headers with high flow cats. Nice power and it passes the tail pipe sniffer test.

Here is the big 7 liter with our G7X-?? cam making 623 rwhp 533rwtq N/A

This is a LS2 with LG cam, AFR heads, LG Pro long Tube headers, fast intake with stock TB. raise your hand if your daily driver makes this much and purrs like a kitten?

So this is why you can take an LG cam and slide it in and make power, or don't get an LG cam and do your own experiments. We tried about 20 cams for EACH cam that we sell before we settled on each cam. So what if you dial in a cam that doesn't do what you want. We make the number on top, AND we make the FAT torque curves that win races.

Thanks guys, and I hope that we can help some of you with your horsepower someday.

And for those of you who want to dial in a cam that might not be what you need anyway, then I can not stop you.

Thanks again.

Lou Gigliotti LG Motorsports

More reasons to go with LG Motorsports.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

How are you going to be able to tune the cam if you dont know the specs?

Quick Reply: LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)