Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GMmexican
How are you going to be able to tune the cam if you dont know the specs?
That question has been asked and answered a few times in this thread.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How are you going to be able to tune the cam if you dont know the specs?
The computer could care less what the actual specs are. All it knows is airflow, and manifold pressure.
It is important to know what they are if you're doing a mail order tune though. As most tuners can look over the cam specs and determine the pressure and airflow characteristics of the engine. That and most experienced tuners have "canned" tunes for certain combos, cam specs, etc.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
That question has been asked and answered a few times in this thread.
they are basically telling you "just throw it in and it will make nice numbers"

thats not how i want to build my car, by looking at all the fastest lsx cars that i know, they perform at a high level because there combos are prefectly MATCHED and tuned to optimum performance

here are my cam specs

232/232 .612"/.604" 110LSA +2

Ill be purchasing my cam from thunder racing.......maybe the LG guys are working for the government and there cams are build using UFO material?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
The computer could care less what the actual specs are. That and most experienced tuners have "canned" tunes for certain combos, cam specs, etc.

you contradicted yourself there buddy
Old 05-13-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

My thoughts on this are that 99% of the people that want the specs don't know what they really mean anyway.
Sure they know which ones are the duration numbers and which are the lift numbers, but what they REALLY mean. Don't have a clue.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

So this thread was resurrected after a year for the sole purpose of some LG Motorsports because that's what I am gathering here.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by big reg
So this thread was resurrected after a year for the sole purpose of some LG Motorsports because that's what I am gathering here.
No nut swingers here. Just very closely tied to LG Motorsports.

Thread resurrected because I found all 8 pages interesting. So if all you have is Garbage to add then don't waste your time on the thread.

Point is that you don't need specs to tune the car properly, as EDCMAT-l1 stated. With all the money invested in bringing a new cam to market why put out exact specs so someone can try to duplicate it. Let them experiment with there own budget.

Just a shrewd business move.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

Agreed but that was disputed over a yr ago. As far as posting "garbage" as you call it, whatever floats your boat. I found it amusing this thread was brought back to light after a year with the sole purpose of plugging LG Motorsports.

Their products speak for themselves and most of their cam specs are not top secret anyway. Just good old proven combos. The G5X3 is one of the best all around cams on the market IMO.

Most people wanting the specs are not even going to buy the cams anyway they just want to bitch and moan about **** they wish they could do to their cars while they roll around with free mods and boltons.

Last edited by big reg; 05-13-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Agreed but that was disputed over a yr ago. As far as posting "garbage" as you call it, whatever floats your boat. I found it amusing this thread was brought back to light after a year with the sole purpose of plugging LG Motorsports.

Their products speak for themselves and most of their cam specs are not top secret anyway. Just good old proven combos. The G5X3 is one of the best all around cams on the market IMO.

Most people wanting the specs are not even going to by the cams anyway they just want to bitch and moan about **** they wish they could do to their cars while they roll around with free mods and boltons.
I take back the garbage comment brother, this post here says it all. Especially the part about people complaining about wanting cam specs probably won't buy one of the cams anyway.

From my experience in dealing with LG Motorsports I wasn't given EXACT specs either. I was given ballpark and very detailed explanation on what to expect from the cam. Louis selected my car as a test mule for his newly released g5x3 version II cam. More power everywhere vs the original. He wasn't kidding. More lowend torque and more overall power. Awesome peak numbers too. 490 rwhp 445 rwtq !!

With the relationship I have forged with LG Motorsports I do know some things, and was told those things in strict confidence I am not at liberty to divulge the info. I'd hate to screw up my relationship with LGM just to satisfy a few people wanting exact specs of a cam they probably won't buy.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

You wanna post up the dyno sheets for comparison??
Old 05-13-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

I take back the garbage comment brother, this post here says it all. Especially the part about people complaining about wanting cam specs probably won't buy one of the cams anyway.

From my experience in dealing with LG Motorsports I wasn't given EXACT specs either. I was given ballpark and very detailed explanation on what to expect from the cam. Louis selected my car as a test mule for his newly released g5x3 version II cam. More power everywhere vs the original. He wasn't kidding. More lowend torque and more overall power. Awesome peak numbers too. 490 rwhp 445 rwtq !!

With the relationship I have forged with LG Motorsports I do know some things, and was told those things in strict confidence I am not at liberty to divulge the info. I'd hate to screw up my relationship with LGM just to satisfy a few people wanting exact specs of a cam they probably won't buy.
I have actually made a few posts in the past about people bitching about specs. If they really wanted to buy one all they had to do was search and they could find the specs, up to the G5X3 anyway. Instead the poor bastards cried about a smart business move.

Nice numbers on stock CI btw bud. I would love to try a max effort 346 like yours but my cousin is getting another Whippled Cobra so I have go big or go home I guess.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
You wanna post up the dyno sheets for comparison??
Who are you talking to?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

This a smart marketing scheme plain and simple!!!! LG makes a big deal about there cams like they have a super secret power edge over others creating this mystique, all this does is fool ignorant customers into thinking they are buying an elite cam thats above the rest when in reality the true cam specs arnt that amazing.

No thanks theres tons of better options out there, without paying an arm and a leg for LG's high prices.........and other companies are more than happy to give me a ****** CAM CARD!
Old 05-13-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice numbers on stock CI btw bud. I would love to try a max effort 346 like yours but my cousin is getting another Whippled Cobra so I have go big or go home I guess.
my 346 is getting pulled to make room for a 402. Looking for more rwhp and a lot more torque. We'll be reusing all my parts from the 346 to keep cost down. Should be pretty interesting when its all put together. Two changes from the 346 setup will be Ron from Vengeance hooked me up with a ported to 95 mm FAST 92 intake with cleaned up runners, and port matching to my afr 205's and a 95 mm tb to help this sucker breath deep. LGMotorsports is taking off my Billy boat Bullets and replacing them with there BIG3 setup. Those two upgrades should maximize the new 402's ability to get air in and out. At least that is the plan. My ported 90 combo is sold and LGM is keeping my bullets for testing. Stay in touch man, good posting with ya tonight.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Second Club

Im assuming you had the original X3 and now the 2nd version. Overlapping dyno sheets would be nice.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Who are you talking to?
fixed.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
Im assuming you had the original X3 and now the 2nd version. Overlapping dyno sheets would be nice.
I'd have liked to have seen that as well. However the two graphs don't exist so to speak. When I had version I of the g5x3 I had a FAST 78 combo with stock heads (400 rwhp or was it 403 and 380 rwtq) When the g5x3 version II went in I had already gottent the afr 205's, meziere ewp and asp ud pully.

The closest I can think would be to give you the numbers of the h/c setups with the only difference being intake and cam. The numbers for fast 78 with afr 205's, g5x3 vI, ewp, and ud pully were 457 rwhp 417 rwtq.

Now with the new g5x3 vII cam and a ported by Louis Gigliotti FAST 90 combo she made 490 rwhp and 445 rwtq. Its hard to say how much of the 33 rwhp 28 rwtq increase the cam was responsible for. I can tell you this she made 360 rwtq at 2800 rpms.

Hope this helps a bit. Again sorry no direct version I vs version II comparo, that would've been awesome to see the exact difference. As far as differences between the two cams, you already know the specs on the g5x3 vI cam, and version II is more intake duration, and more lift. Smaller then the g5x4 though.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I hope I didn't say too much.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Resident

I hope I didn't say too much.
Lol bud, I think LG will be ok with it. That 402 should be pretty stout. The 205cc runners might hurt peak power but under the curve power will be insane. Nice posting with you as well.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

This a smart marketing scheme plain and simple!!!! LG makes a big deal about there cams like they have a super secret power edge over others creating this mystique, all this does is fool ignorant customers into thinking they are buying an elite cam thats above the rest when in reality the true cam specs arnt that amazing.

No thanks theres tons of better options out there, without paying an arm and a leg for LG's high prices.........and other companies are more than happy to give me a ****** CAM CARD!
What specs don't you know? All the original cams, G5X1, X2, X3, X4 are Comp XE-R lobes... 228/232, 232/240, 234/242, 238/244 IIRC.

Quick Reply: LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)