Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 02:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I have seen this thread every year since 01 when I bought my vette.
It is amazing how worked up some people get about the subject.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
So what were you trying to "fine tune and optimize(sp)" with the packages that you picked out for your cars?

01 Z28 A4>
LME 370 cid, 232/234 113+0, PRC 5.3L stage 2.5, 11.7 SCR/8.7 DCR, all bolt ons (except EWP).
Comming together
03 50th Anniversary C5 A4
Halltech/Ported TB/pulley/Vinci Handheld tune/wideband commander/ tiny 210/224, .555/.567 115+1 Custom cam
364rwhp/372rwtq

Just curious.
LG
Ahh, I smell a counter attack.

The Vette cam is not to make the most power, but it is made to use stock exhaust system, stock idle, stock verter, shift at 6100 (because I wanted to use the handheld and it is limited to 6100 shifts, one of its bad options), basically improve on the stocker without loosing any low end trq (gained some and a few ponies too) and still have a stock behaving car.
So far it has performed as I wanted it to.

The 232 is an off shelf TSP cam that I had on my previous stock cube setup, I just do not have funds to change cam right now after rebuilt and I have to swap trannies, so the only optimising I did there is setting the SCR and DCR to maximise its potential output for now. I'm putting the motor together now so I cannot tell you what it will put out.
One thing I do know, is that it will finaly make the torque after which it is named (Torquer V2)

I can see where you're heading LOU, but by no ways do I question your experience, knowledge etc... You are by far more versed in this than I am (You should be), I am just refusing to accept your "no cam card" Biz practice.

As you said, the US freedom of choice is great, I'm exercising freedom of speech.

Just so everyone knows, that my beef with LG is their mentality (It should change).
I am in no way shape or form bashing their quality or products.
I used to be one of their customers, untill the cam card issue.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ben01C5
I think I have seen this thread every year since 01 when I bought my vette.
It is amazing how worked up some people get about the subject.
Simple question:
What is your DCR?
Old 06-14-2006, 03:38 AM
Restricted User

Well, how does 11.47:1SCR and 9.439:1DCR strike you? I'm not sure the relevance other than finding what octane at min. you should use to avoid KR. However, I can run 91 in mine w/ no KR..maybe it has to do with the ETP heads w/11* valves and chamber design, maybe the .030" quench height, or the tuning? FWIW, I didnt know all the spec on my cam when I had Ed Curtis, EDC grind it. I just told him what I had, what I was looking for power wise and usage etc..by filling out his cam request card, and he said, got it done a day or two later. But maybe cuz this is a nitrous hog cam is why the DCR is higher? I dunno.

I can play devil's advocate and say you both (Lou and Predator) have solid points. And with that, I am sure you both been down this conversational road before and neither have changed their mind set... So deadhorse takes a beating again!
Old 06-14-2006, 04:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Poor old horse

Cat, what is your WOT timing?
As you stated the quench, 11* prolly help, just curious.

BTW, I though Ed releases specs on demand as his cams are made to order.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

i wonder if someone put their cam on a cam doctor and posted the specs online, if that would be against the law?
Old 06-14-2006, 07:32 AM
Banned

Hi guys,

Lou Gigliotti here.

This thread is very interesting. I would like you to call Earnhardt Incorporated or John force and ask what their cam specs are. I am sure that they will give you every detail.

No we are not John Force or Earnhardt but we have our cams and we have them built so most home builders can install them dot to dot without any dialing in. We have found them to be within 1/4 degree +/- and that is better than most installers can do.

The point is that even with the vague specs that are on the internet, there are a lot of cams that look alot like our LG cams but so what. We still have some of the highest hp and best drivable cams around. If you need the specs, then you know enough to order your own cam from Comp, Lunati etc. Why do you need our specs? just to get a head start?

Keith at HP tuners ran a 9.90 with our G5-XX cam Normally aspirated. That cam was put in DOT to DOT with AFR heads, Fast 90/90 and a stock bottom end. So if you need faster than a 9.90 then you need more than just a LG cam and head package.

We put a G5X-3 in a Corvette LS6 with air filter and Headers and we get 430rwhp 400 torque and that is a daily driver. And when we send the package all over the country, it makes the same hp or more.
Our G5X-1 cam passes the sniffer test in a corvette Z06 and with AFR heads it made 452rwhp 428 rwtq with a stock manifold. The car was going to Europe and it only had to pass the tail pipe sniffer test and it did. Mission accomplished.

You see, most of the cars that we sell cam packages to are not looking for the last hp, or the last tenth of a second in the 1/4 mile but most of them make hp that exceeds most of what I see posted here.

If you remember waaaaay back when, we made 409rwhp on a stock Z28 and he ran 10's about 3 or 4 years ago with a stock bottom end and cam only, no head work.

So if a cam is built correctly with the proper advance or retard built in to the cam, then it can be put in Dot to Dot and still perform. Again, if you need more than what our cams make, then you need more than our cam anyway.

Here is a graph of one of our 7 liter cams. This is a daily driver. do you think we should tell all the other companies what this cam is? Not really. 535/501 cam only with headers and filter with cats and stock muffler.

And we have our "Moma-joma" cam in my car that made 628 rwhp 550 rwtq. That is the highest hp in any 7 liter Z06 street car N/A that anyone has made yet. So those specs are also not out.

Here is our G5X-1 cam with AFR heads and LG Headers with high flow cats. Nice power and it passes the tail pipe sniffer test.

Here is the big 7 liter with our G7X-?? cam making 623 rwhp 533rwtq N/A

This is a LS2 with LG cam, AFR heads, LG Pro long Tube headers, fast intake with stock TB. raise your hand if your daily driver makes this much and purrs like a kitten?

So this is why you can take an LG cam and slide it in and make power, or don't get an LG cam and do your own experiments. We tried about 20 cams for EACH cam that we sell before we settled on each cam. So what if you dial in a cam that doesn't do what you want. We make the number on top, AND we make the FAT torque curves that win races.

Thanks guys, and I hope that we can help some of you with your horsepower someday.

And for those of you who want to dial in a cam that might not be what you need anyway, then I can not stop you.

Thanks again.

Lou Gigliotti LG Motorsports

You 623 numbers sure looks like a SPIKE at the end of the graph
Old 06-14-2006, 07:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1936FordPU
You 623 numbers sure looks like a SPIKE at the end of the graph

Smoothing is not your friend when looking for peak numbers. How come I never see WINPEP 7 on LG's graphs?? Lou is a salesman, pure and simple.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys,

Lou Gigliotti here.

This thread is very interesting. I would like you to call Earnhardt Incorporated or John force and ask what their cam specs are. I am sure that they will give you every detail.

The difference is.....Earnhardt and Force aren't trying to sell there products to the public. Now.....if you supplied them with some XYZ cams and they don't ask you for the specs.....you might have a reason to throw their names out there.

Why do you need our specs? just to get a head start?
A head start on what? Last I checked TREX was in the fastest cam only LS1. A very good selling cam even though "everyone will just copy it". Hell....since they give out their specs maybe you guys should copy them and go back after that record.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi guys,

Lou Gigliotti here.

No we are not John Force or Earnhardt but we have our cams and we have them built so most home builders can install them dot to dot without any dialing in. We have found them to be within 1/4 degree +/- and that is better than most installers can do.

The point is that even with the vague specs that are on the internet, there are a lot of cams that look alot like our LG cams but so what. We still have some of the highest hp and best drivable cams around. If you need the specs, then you know enough to order your own cam from Comp, Lunati etc. Why do you need our specs? just to get a head start?

Keith at HP tuners ran a 9.90 with our G5-XX cam Normally aspirated. That cam was put in DOT to DOT with AFR heads, Fast 90/90 and a stock bottom end. So if you need faster than a 9.90 then you need more than just a LG cam and head package.

We put a G5X-3 in a Corvette LS6 with air filter and Headers and we get 430rwhp 400 torque and that is a daily driver. And when we send the package all over the country, it makes the same hp or more.
Our G5X-1 cam passes the sniffer test in a corvette Z06 and with AFR heads it made 452rwhp 428 rwtq with a stock manifold. The car was going to Europe and it only had to pass the tail pipe sniffer test and it did. Mission accomplished.

You see, most of the cars that we sell cam packages to are not looking for the last hp, or the last tenth of a second in the 1/4 mile but most of them make hp that exceeds most of what I see posted here.

If you remember waaaaay back when, we made 409rwhp on a stock Z28 and he ran 10's about 3 or 4 years ago with a stock bottom end and cam only, no head work.

So if a cam is built correctly with the proper advance or retard built in to the cam, then it can be put in Dot to Dot and still perform. Again, if you need more than what our cams make, then you need more than our cam anyway.

Here is a graph of one of our 7 liter cams. This is a daily driver. do you think we should tell all the other companies what this cam is? Not really. 535/501 cam only with headers and filter with cats and stock muffler.

And we have our "Moma-joma" cam in my car that made 628 rwhp 550 rwtq. That is the highest hp in any 7 liter Z06 street car N/A that anyone has made yet. So those specs are also not out.

Here is our G5X-1 cam with AFR heads and LG Headers with high flow cats. Nice power and it passes the tail pipe sniffer test.

Here is the big 7 liter with our G7X-?? cam making 623 rwhp 533rwtq N/A

This is a LS2 with LG cam, AFR heads, LG Pro long Tube headers, fast intake with stock TB. raise your hand if your daily driver makes this much and purrs like a kitten?

So this is why you can take an LG cam and slide it in and make power, or don't get an LG cam and do your own experiments. We tried about 20 cams for EACH cam that we sell before we settled on each cam. So what if you dial in a cam that doesn't do what you want. We make the number on top, AND we make the FAT torque curves that win races.

Thanks guys, and I hope that we can help some of you with your horsepower someday.

And for those of you who want to dial in a cam that might not be what you need anyway, then I can not stop you.

Thanks again.

Lou Gigliotti LG Motorsports

sorry guy, you have not convinced me of anything. and the fact that yall are so stubborn really makes me not wanna deal with yall in the future. specs of yalls cams are out, and yall still refuse to give out specs on your cams... lol, its kind of amusing, i have a little sister that acts like that, she is a hard headed little ****.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by treysoucie
sorry guy, you have not convinced me of anything. and the fact that yall are so stubborn really makes me not wanna deal with yall in the future. specs of yalls cams are out, and yall still refuse to give out specs on your cams... lol, its kind of amusing, i have a little sister that acts like that, she is a hard headed little ****.
His daughter is pretty hot! Lous that is..
Old 06-14-2006, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1936FordPU
His daughter is pretty hot! Lous that is..

LOU, this whole time ive been messing with you, i would love nothing more than to purchase a cam from yall...

could i get your daughters # so we could discuss it?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

I'm not sure I understand the whole thread. Once you buy the cam, you can measure it and get all the numbers you want.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you need the numbers to make a decision about a cam, it would be pointless to do it after its bought except to check for trueness... which would be impossible to, b/c there is no cam card to compare against
Old 06-14-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if anyone wants to make their cam specs public... you know from their measurements they took of this chunk of metal.... then feel free to PM them to me... sure they may disappear from some tech sites due to black holes reflecting swamp gas, but im sure i can find a stable online host to post them.

and then everyone can just PM someone a link when its asked...... so who has a cam doctor and some specs?
Old 06-14-2006, 10:00 AM
10 Second Club

I got one thing to say

LG RULES!!

These days of the bigger is better cam Is getting crazy. Although there are some very smart guys on the board here like PREDATOR-Z most of the 66,000000 guys on this board just need to know if the cam clears and will they go fast and what will they dyno.
Im guessing this whole thread is really just to tell LG you dont want to buy his cam cause you think hes and *** which is fine. But for the regular guy that wants a great performing car these cams are great. Any of the cams from x2-x4 can get ya in the 10`s with the supporting mods and give ya well over 400+ hp so its all good.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

LG motorsports are good salesman, but their work quality and ethics is very questionable IMO.

i have used them twice for work, been bitten both times

first time i had them build (actually someone else builds their shortblocks) and install an engine for me. i got the car back with "440 rwhp and 390 rwtq" and a sheet to "prove" it.

all seemed ok, until i went to change the valve springs about 1 year later (maybe 8k miles). turns out they did not put on the valve springs i had paid for (comp 921's none the less) and left the same springs on the heads that i gave them at the time (comp 977's, which they said wouldn't work with their cam, even though they held up for 8k miles).

so, i went back to LG to get parts i paid over $600 for (small in comparison to the 9k+ i've spent with them) and Lou himself got very upset with me when i called him out on this, let me tell you how much i thought of him after that. he called me a crook, in not so many words.

so, i had them rebuild my transmission while i was there, which has actually worked pretty good, not a complaint there. only problem was that their phone service must have been cut-off that week. when i got there they had another $800 in extra parts they had to buy and made no mention of it to me. i guess they're used to dealing with loaded zo6 owners that don't care, but it mattered a whole to me.

well, so now i dyno the setup locally, been on two different dyno's and have not changed a thing on my setup. both dyno's were between 420-425 rwhp and 390 rwtq (for comparisons sake, we have club members making 400 rwhp with the x1 and ms3 camshaft, so it's not a stingy dyno). so, where did that other 20 rwhp come from???? never there is my guess. their tune was also at 15:1 at some points, so a retune was in order as well. great package i bought
we've got another guy in the car club that just got back from LG, his dyno was around 100 rwhp () lower locally then at LG (heads/cam turbo car, 2 weeks apart), once again, very strange. you don't even want to know what they charged him for that "package"
Old 06-14-2006, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Damn KG Sorry to hear about that ****. That 15to1 is pretty scary.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dat sucks dude

Originally Posted by KGSloan
LG motorsports are good salesman, but their work quality and ethics is very questionable IMO.

i have used them twice for work, been bitten both times

first time i had them build (actually someone else builds their shortblocks) and install an engine for me. i got the car back with "440 rwhp and 390 rwtq" and a sheet to "prove" it.

all seemed ok, until i went to change the valve springs about 1 year later (maybe 8k miles). turns out they did not put on the valve springs i had paid for (comp 921's none the less) and left the same springs on the heads that i gave them at the time (comp 977's, which they said wouldn't work with their cam, even though they held up for 8k miles).

so, i went back to LG to get parts i paid over $600 for (small in comparison to the 9k+ i've spent with them) and Lou himself got very upset with me when i called him out on this, let me tell you how much i thought of him after that. he called me a crook, in not so many words.

so, i had them rebuild my transmission while i was there, which has actually worked pretty good, not a complaint there. only problem was that their phone service must have been cut-off that week. when i got there they had another $800 in extra parts they had to buy and made no mention of it to me. i guess they're used to dealing with loaded zo6 owners that don't care, but it mattered a whole to me.

well, so now i dyno the setup locally, been on two different dyno's and have not changed a thing on my setup. both dyno's were between 420-425 rwhp and 390 rwtq (for comparisons sake, we have club members making 400 rwhp with the x1 and ms3 camshaft, so it's not a stingy dyno). so, where did that other 20 rwhp come from???? never there is my guess. their tune was also at 15:1 at some points, so a retune was in order as well. great package i bought
we've got another guy in the car club that just got back from LG, his dyno was around 100 rwhp () lower locally then at LG (heads/cam turbo car, 2 weeks apart), once again, very strange. you don't even want to know what they charged him for that "package"
Old 06-14-2006, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kumar75150
i wonder if someone put their cam on a cam doctor and posted the specs online, if that would be against the law?
this is what i would do if i had one of these cams. that would put a end to this silly discussion real quick

Quick Reply: LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)