Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobby1
actully you can discuss with them what your looking for i did the same thing i was looking for a bigger than the t rex that would perform with heads and be the biggest cam i could drive on the street and they gave me that even though they told me it was too big i'm happy with it. not sure if i just got lucky but i do know the specs they were on the box so i'm happy
im the damn consumer, and if i cant get specs on a cam i want to buy, im not gonna buy it. i dont want to have to take their word on it... and frankly i dont want to deal with a company that operates like this...

Originally Posted by Ru2n00n3er
You talk that they won't give you the specs for you to match up setups with, but I don't see why you guys can't discuss your setup with them, to see whether they would recommend one of their off-the-shelf cams vs. a custom one ground by them?

going back to the top, i dont want to have to trust them. this being said, i would never deal with a company that operates to this nature, i can forsee a future of headaches and ulcers over this
Old 06-13-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so whats the x4? 236/244º ???/???" 114 X-ER

what duration?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:54 PM
10 Second Club

What no comment from LG?
Old 06-13-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

What no comment from LG?
Na I don't think anyone at LG wants to argue with these kids.

I am going to talk to my engine builder and see if he relies on what the cam card says or if he has it measured for specs. My bet is that he had the cam measured because of the tight clearance on my setup. I still dont understand this needing specs crap. I wouldn't let anyone build my engine that just pulled specs off a sheet. For all you know the company could have put the wrong cam in the box.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YsoFast

I am going to talk to my engine builder and see if he relies on what the cam card says or if he has it measured for specs. My bet is that he had the cam measured because of the tight clearance on my setup. I still dont understand this needing specs crap. I wouldn't let anyone build my engine that just pulled specs off a sheet. For all you know the company could have put the wrong cam in the box.
And how are you going to know if you got the right cam or not without a spec sheet?

Funny how you contradicted yourself.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

LG Motorsports doesn't really need to comment on it. They have their own business philosophy and if they can maintain a business relationship with their customers that way, then more power to them. They just have to be complacent with the fact that not all consumers agree with this philosophy and as such their sales suffer.

The cam card is a rough spec-out. Of course they are not perfect because there are tolerances in grinding the cam... but the tolerance is generally within +/- 1%. You figure out your specs before hand, order the specs and then have the actual cam measured for final spec.

Go talk to your engine builder and ask them if a LG Motorsports G5X17 cam is going to work with your motor and make good power. Your engine builder is going to say "what the hell is a G5X17 cam?" Oh wait... you don't know because they won't tell you. But I bet if you ask your engine builder to spec you out a cam for your motor, he will tell you what the specs are. I can assure that your engine builder would never buy a cam from a supplier without at least having a general idea of what the cam is he is ordering.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, you dont do your own motor work, so how is your reply relevent to this argument at all? i mean am i the only person who see's this "secret cam specs" flat out stupid? obviously not, cause there is a lot of ppl. commenting on both sides. either way your gonna buy whatever you wanna buy. me personally, i want specs! if i had a shop building my motor, i wouldnt give a ****.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

you don't like lg? so what? stop crying about it.

i don't like mexican food, but i don't hassle or kill anyone who mentions the words.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by s346k

i don't like mexican food, but i don't hassle or kill anyone who mentions the words.
You dont like the food of my peeps?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Doomsday
You dont like the food of my peeps?
no way man, that **** tears my stomach up!
Old 06-13-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by s346k

i could have sworn this thread was centered around the fact that lg is secretive about their ****? so i will post my opinion about the facts in a thread about the previously mentioned bullsh1t, whether u give a fvk or not
Old 06-13-2006, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by slpss9723
no they don't ship the card with the cam and it's some sort of unspoken rule that if you buy one of Lou's cams you have to keep quiet about it..........i guess. edit......ha ha IBTL, that's great!!
take that cam and stick it in a cam genie or a cam doctor and post the results up. F%#@* lg motorsports
Old 06-13-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i believe those have been posted in previous threads.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:12 AM
FormerVendor

Hi guys,

Lou Gigliotti here.

This thread is very interesting. I would like you to call Earnhardt Incorporated or John force and ask what their cam specs are. I am sure that they will give you every detail.

No we are not John Force or Earnhardt but we have our cams and we have them built so most home builders can install them dot to dot without any dialing in. We have found them to be within 1/4 degree +/- and that is better than most installers can do.

The point is that even with the vague specs that are on the internet, there are a lot of cams that look alot like our LG cams but so what. We still have some of the highest hp and best drivable cams around. If you need the specs, then you know enough to order your own cam from Comp, Lunati etc. Why do you need our specs? just to get a head start?

Keith at HP tuners ran a 9.90 with our G5-XX cam Normally aspirated. That cam was put in DOT to DOT with AFR heads, Fast 90/90 and a stock bottom end. So if you need faster than a 9.90 then you need more than just a LG cam and head package.

We put a G5X-3 in a Corvette LS6 with air filter and Headers and we get 430rwhp 400 torque and that is a daily driver. And when we send the package all over the country, it makes the same hp or more.
Our G5X-1 cam passes the sniffer test in a corvette Z06 and with AFR heads it made 452rwhp 428 rwtq with a stock manifold. The car was going to Europe and it only had to pass the tail pipe sniffer test and it did. Mission accomplished.

You see, most of the cars that we sell cam packages to are not looking for the last hp, or the last tenth of a second in the 1/4 mile but most of them make hp that exceeds most of what I see posted here.

If you remember waaaaay back when, we made 409rwhp on a stock Z28 and he ran 10's about 3 or 4 years ago with a stock bottom end and cam only, no head work.

So if a cam is built correctly with the proper advance or retard built in to the cam, then it can be put in Dot to Dot and still perform. Again, if you need more than what our cams make, then you need more than our cam anyway.

Here is a graph of one of our 7 liter cams. This is a daily driver. do you think we should tell all the other companies what this cam is? Not really. 535/501 cam only with headers and filter with cats and stock muffler.

And we have our "Moma-joma" cam in my car that made 628 rwhp 550 rwtq. That is the highest hp in any 7 liter Z06 street car N/A that anyone has made yet. So those specs are also not out.

Here is our G5X-1 cam with AFR heads and LG Headers with high flow cats. Nice power and it passes the tail pipe sniffer test.

Here is the big 7 liter with our G7X-?? cam making 623 rwhp 533rwtq N/A

This is a LS2 with LG cam, AFR heads, LG Pro long Tube headers, fast intake with stock TB. raise your hand if your daily driver makes this much and purrs like a kitten?

So this is why you can take an LG cam and slide it in and make power, or don't get an LG cam and do your own experiments. We tried about 20 cams for EACH cam that we sell before we settled on each cam. So what if you dial in a cam that doesn't do what you want. We make the number on top, AND we make the FAT torque curves that win races.

Thanks guys, and I hope that we can help some of you with your horsepower someday.

And for those of you who want to dial in a cam that might not be what you need anyway, then I can not stop you.

Thanks again.

Lou Gigliotti LG Motorsports

Old 06-14-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^^^^^^
DONE!

My G5X4 should be in tomorrow.

Last edited by Doomsday; 06-14-2006 at 12:21 AM. Reason: forgot coment
Old 06-14-2006, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think that pretty much sums up this thread.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

That is a very good reply for the ignorant consumer, that only knows "I want more power".
I, myself and me, do not want that. I want to know my valve events, my LSA, my ICL, my .006 durations, my .200 durations, so I can fine tune my setup to optimize said cam output.

It baffles me how a person as knowledgeable as LOU can actualy try to convince poeple that "just stick it in, it will work, take my word for it"
Indirectly, he is telling you not to degree your cam that it is a waiste of time. See if any reputable engine builder agrees with that, and I'm not talking John Dow around the stables.

This LOU; works with rookies and poeple who have no clue what a cam is.
You are protecting nothing! You do not have proprietary lobes on G5 series cams.
They are just plain Jane XE-R.

BTW I can see you not wanting to post specs, I can see you not wanting to discuss prior to sale, but telling me once I bought the cam that the specs are "secret", that is ludicrous.

On this post alone you lost Biz from some posters, and how many didn't post their feelings.
IMO LOU, you should quit treating your consumer like an idiot.
Some are, and some aren't. Did it ever occur to you, that the ones that aren't are the ones that can clone your cams?
So instead of gaining their Biz, reel them to your side, treat them with intelligence and have them promote your product, they bash your Biz ethics, and still can copy your cams

(awaiting editing and lock )
Old 06-14-2006, 01:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
That is a very good reply for the ignorant consumer, that only knows "I want more power".
I, myself and me, do not want that. I want to know my valve events, my LSA, my ICL, my .006 durations, my .200 durations, so I can fine tune my setup to optimize said cam output.

It baffles me how a person as knowledgeable as LOU can actualy try to convince poeple that "just stick it in, it will work, take my word for it"
Indirectly, he is telling you not to degree your cam that it is a waiste of time. See if any reputable engine builder agrees with that, and I'm not talking John Dow around the stables.

You are protecting nothing! You do not have proprietary lobes on G5 series cams.

BTW I can see you not wanting to post specs, I can see you not wanting to discuss prior to sale, but telling me once I bought the cam that the specs are "secret", that is ludicrous.

On this post alone you lost Biz from some posters, and how many didn't post their feelings.
Some are, and some aren't. Did it ever occur to you, that the ones that aren't are the ones that can clone your cams?
So instead of gaining their Biz, reel them to your side, treat them with intelligence and have them promote your product, they bash your Biz ethics, and still can copy your cams

Very nicely said there Predator.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:45 AM
FormerVendor

------

The key is that those of you who are in tune to "Valve events" and make more power than our Packages, are free to do that. when you finish with your cam pick, and hit it right on the first try, then you will be able to post up your graph and sell "your" cam. You might not need anyone's advice, but there are some here who are great guys, and very intelligent who could care less about Valve events. ANd in some cases they go to the internet to hear what others have to say.

That leads to alot of mistakes and bad information. you must remember how many "Ideas" were posted up about cams and they were average at best, or they made a number at the top but lost so much low end hp they were not much better than stock before 4500 rpms. But they were touted as "The Cam".

America is a great country. We all have freedom to do almost anything we want. That is what makes America Great.

I respect you for wanting to make up your own cam, and I would hope that you would respect LGM.

As for my business ethics, I don't copy other people's cams, nor would I post any info up to interfere with their business. Our first G5 cam had the first XER lobe on it and it was our proprietary lobe for one year. That is how Comp cams works when a customer comes up with a new lobe. You know what they say," if you don't know every thing, just try to know as many people who do."

If a cam was made in India or someplace like that, I would say that you had better degree it in. but if Comp builds the cam and you give them the correct Intake Centerline etc, it will be within 1/4 degree. that is why we use them to build our cams.

thanks for the input.

Lou gigliotti LGM

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 06-14-2006 at 01:51 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:00 AM
FormerVendor

So what were you trying to "fine tune and optimize(sp)" with the packages that you picked out for your cars?

01 Z28 A4>
LME 370 cid, 232/234 113+0, PRC 5.3L stage 2.5, 11.7 SCR/8.7 DCR, all bolt ons (except EWP).
Comming together
03 50th Anniversary C5 A4
Halltech/Ported TB/pulley/Vinci Handheld tune/wideband commander/ tiny 210/224, .555/.567 115+1 Custom cam
364rwhp/372rwtq

Just curious.
LG

Quick Reply: LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)