Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if its true, but supposedly a tuner in my area knows the cam specs or is at least familiar with Lg's cams
Old 06-12-2006, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they dont want anyone trying to copy the cams. all venders have a 224 cam ect,but the lca and other things are different. i have had all the LG cams and they all have been powerful.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:41 PM
11 Second Club

I'm hoping this cam was worth the money
Old 06-12-2006, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Id love to be closer to 430 rear wheel horsepower, but everyone says i'll be around 410-420hp
Old 06-12-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

i added bbk 85 and e cutout 3" and saw 21hp and 13 tq gain
Old 06-12-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im not gonna mess with a company that cant give me cam specs on a cam im purchasing.... i specifally want to match an exact cam to my preference, so i say screw em.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by treysoucie
im not gonna mess with a company that cant give me cam specs on a cam im purchasing.... i specifally want to match an exact cam to my preference, so i say screw em.
if you're that serious about cams you wouldn't rely on an off the shelf grind..

lg's cams perform, regardless of whether or not anyone agrees with their business tactics, period.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by YsoFast
The hella secret cam specs make perfect sense to me. So let’s dig into this...1. LG has spent allot of time with R&D and if he let the specs out I am sure every company under the sun would copy it and sell slightly different versions if not the exact same. 2. Most jack asses on here don’t know **** (Including myself) about cam specs and would just do the redneck educated guess and say "Well so and so has a cam close to this size and it cleared!" Then puts it in and kills some valves. So what do you think he is going to do now? Yep that’s right!! He calls LG up bitching. 3. Do you truly think the cam specs you hear about are the exact specs of the cam? I bet they are not even close and I would even bet that over time some cams might get a little update with out anyone knowing. 4. Why do you guys need to know the specs? Is it like a car putting out big RWHP on a dyno and getting that print out to spank it to?

BTW Scrap that "slp 85mm mass air" you have in your parts list.
The cams that have been listed are EXACT. Lots have posted the .050" numbers, and I told ya'll they were XE-R lobes. All you have to do is look at the XE-R chart on Comps website and you'll get all you need to know about the lobes. This isn't rocket science, and I highly doubt lots of R&D went into this. You need the specs so you can install the cam correctly. If yu don't degree your cam in, your shootin in the dark. Might work, might not. If someone was dumb enough to call a vendor about a cam they didn't even buy from there, that's there own dumbass fault. I really wonder if someone is that stupid?
Old 06-12-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
The cams that have been listed are EXACT. Lots have posted the .050" numbers, and I told ya'll they were XE-R lobes. All you have to do is look at the XE-R chart on Comps website and you'll get all you need to know about the lobes. This isn't rocket science, and I highly doubt lots of R&D went into this. You need the specs so you can install the cam correctly. If yu don't degree your cam in, your shootin in the dark. Might work, might not. If someone was dumb enough to call a vendor about a cam they didn't even buy from there, that's there own dumbass fault. I really wonder if someone is that stupid?

my point is why should i deal w/ a stubborn a$$ company that cant post specs of their cam?
Old 06-12-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

"I will not drink coca cola because they don’t release the information about how do they produce it because they don't want their competitors to copy them "I know I like coca cola no need to know how they produce the drink. Drink and enjoy
Old 06-12-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

LG is afraid of people stealing their cams beceaue they charge a arm and leg for them. If they cost 350-380 like everyone else sells them for then they wouldnt have to worry about it. Everyone else does the same R&D and gets them grinded by the same guys, so the only reason LG costs more is because of the name.

But i will say there cams do make power, but so do most other, its your money, your car, so do what you want with it.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Houston999
"I will not drink coca cola because they don’t release the information about how do they produce it because they don't want their competitors to copy them "I know I like coca cola no need to know how they produce the drink. Drink and enjoy

the same way that coca cola put the ingredients and nutritional information, i expect a cam company to have specs on their cam grinds.
i dont care how they produce it.
i like coca cola too, and i know it contains:
carbonated water, caramel color, phosphoric acid, asparatame, patassium benzoate, and other ingredients.
i also know: serving size, calories, total fat%, sodium %, total carbs %, and protein%.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The poeple who want cam specs when they buy a cam is not to duplicate it (hint: they allready have it), it is to degree it, match compression and DCR for optimum cam performance.
And to those who say that the specs are not what is posted here, there is a sample of where we get our speculations:
Attached Thumbnails LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)-g5x2.jpg  

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 06-13-2006 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Houston999
troll...
Old 06-13-2006, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Default lg motorsports

i just installed one of there cams the x5 it was expensive but i looked at what there cams make in power and the fact that at one time they had the fastest head and cam car out there with the cam i put in helped me decide and my car has every option execept heads and pulley but i did not really think i need a custom cam when i a 2000 ta with 6spd fast 90/90 and 410 gears headers lid ac delete. in my opinion unless i'm running nitrious or supercharger or turbocharge. but overall i'm happy i didn't dyno as much as i wanted only 437.5 rwhp at about 6700 and only 391 but car drives like a rocket and drivablity is great considering its a daily driver on a 346 motor. just wanted to offer some imput.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobby1
but i did not really think i need a custom cam when i a 2000 ta with 6spd fast 90/90 and 410 gears headers lid ac delete. in my opinion unless i'm running nitrious or supercharger or turbocharge. but overall i'm happy i didn't dyno as much as i wanted only 437.5 rwhp at about 6700 and only 391 but car drives like a rocket and drivablity is great considering its a daily driver on a 346 motor. just wanted to offer some imput.
true, that is just your opinion,
you would rather blindly take there word for it, then to do the research, and find a cam that would best suite your needs.
sorry, that just doesnt make sense to me.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

You talk that they won't give you the specs for you to match up setups with, but I don't see why you guys can't discuss your setup with them, to see whether they would recommend one of their off-the-shelf cams vs. a custom one ground by them?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

actully you can discuss with them what your looking for i did the same thing i was looking for a bigger than the t rex that would perform with heads and be the biggest cam i could drive on the street and they gave me that even though they told me it was too big i'm happy with it. not sure if i just got lucky but i do know the specs they were on the box so i'm happy
Old 06-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by treysoucie
the same way that coca cola put the ingredients and nutritional information, i expect a cam company to have specs on their cam grinds.
i dont care how they produce it.
i like coca cola too, and i know it contains:
carbonated water, caramel color, phosphoric acid, asparatame, patassium benzoate, and other ingredients.
i also know: serving size, calories, total fat%, sodium %, total carbs %, and protein%.
very well said, i wasn't wondering how they actually grind the cam......what kind of mathematical formulas, machining equipment is used, or if they chip away at it with a hammer and chisel........just the specs, and perhaps why they operate this way.....like was previously stated i doubt that a lot of R&D went into these grinds and i have always felt that this policy is in place to protect the "IDEA" of what your getting with LG Motorsports products and justify the cost of the name.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey Z28misfit I pm'd you. Hopefully it gives you a little insight to LG. Would love a response.

Quick Reply: LG Motorsports cams(what's their big secret)